• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

3rd Engine For The Rallye, The Plan....

burr_2000

i am just trying to advise on my errors to save people money.

all i have to say is i have had a 1360cc xsi engine in my sprint/hillclimb 205 that ran twin 40s had them set up but still did not run great because a lot of second hand webers out there are old and worn and yes it sounded great but had flat spots and spent fortune on rolling road time and internals. now im on Bike bodies and DTA i wish i just got them from the start producing 100ft/lb of torque out a 1360 aint bad now and a much more pleasurable experience on track.

205Rallee

I had the choice of taking the twin 40's off my euro rallye or convert them to throttle bodies, but it would have spoilt the car imho. Using a Longman head, std TU24 valves a Kent cam (no idea which one), CSC rallye manifold,handmade stainless system, swapped the dizzy for Omex ignition only management, made it a lot more driveable and apart from the odd flatspot at part throttle it runs really well, albeit only with 83bhp at the wheels. (But they're "honest" bhp and it's ultra reliable).

Don't think I'd go anywhere near a CSC manifold for a roadcar as the noise is immense and only made acceptable by wrapping it.

BUT if I was modding a car (without standard 40's) it would be throttle bodies every time, as very few people can tune carbs properly and if they can they rarely have all the jets, emulsion tubes etc etc AND it will ultimately be more cost effective AND will run better.

burr_2000

yeah the 1.3 rallye would not be the same without its setup.

i have a CSC and its not to bad but yeah prob get annoying after while on long journey.

ball park for main parts of setup

set of bike bodies £60, manifold £150, second hand stand alone ecu £250-300.

welshpug

set of Bike bodies = whatever you can pick them up for.

+ £500 IIRC to colin satchel for his manifold and modifying the bodies to fit, this includes a proper throttle quadrant and trumpets, all you'd need additionally to fit them would be a filter and a backplate, and a gasket to the head.

plus an ECU if youre lucky you can pick up used for around £4-500, a New DTA S40 IIRC would be around £550?

plus £300 odd to map.

carbs I haven't a clue about really, bar that not many people know them well and have the knowledge and parts to sort them out, which I doubt is very cheap, an ultimately they'll never have the economy and tractability of a nicely mapped set of bodies.

calvinhorse
i am just trying to advise on my errors to save people money.

all i have to say is i have had a 1360cc xsi engine in my sprint/hillclimb 205 that ran twin 40s had them set up but still did not run great because a lot of second hand webers out there are old and worn and yes it sounded great but had flat spots and spent fortune on rolling road time and internals. now im on Bike bodies and DTA i wish i just got them from the start producing 100ft/lb of torque out a 1360 aint bad now and a much more pleasurable experience on track.

so why did you get rid of your dizzy?

gtmotorsport

It is my understanding that a dizzy is flawed because it only responds to advance and retard based on the speed and vacuum. Where as depending on the resolution of the mapping an ECU and coil pack can respond to load better and a finer control of advance and retard made.

205Rallee

PS My twin 40's give 45mpg on the road when driving to speed events!

calvinhorse
It is my understanding that a dizzy is flawed because it only responds to advance and retard based on the speed and vacuum. Where as depending on the resolution of the mapping an ECU and coil pack can respond to load better and a finer control of advance and retard made.

sorry i was being sarcastic!

burr_2000
sorry i was being sarcastic!

funny, almost as funny as paying more than necessary to set up carbs on a 1360cc with stand alone,wonder why peugeot used a dizzy with the french rallye :lol:.

Edited by burr_2000

allye

Now I'v seen how much you can pick up TB's for 2nd hand I want some! What size should I be going for? 40mm like the carbs? Might be on a 1.6xsi engine if it an ali block or the 1.4xsi engine.

cheers, ali

burr_2000

ali unfortunately they are all iron. i did run xsi internals in a alloy block once but would not do it again. i have GSXR 600 K1-K2 bodies and sandy uses 750.i got my manifold from bogg bros as could not afford colins set up at time and when head was getting worked at sandys he ported the manifold to suit the inlet ports on head :lol:

allye
ali unfortunately they are all iron. i did run xsi internals in a alloy block once but would not do it again. i have GSXR 600 K1-K2 bodies and sandy uses 750.i got my manifold from bogg bros as could not afford colins set up at time and when head was getting worked at sandys he ported the manifold to suit the inlet ports on head :lol:

Nice one cheers for the reply. Prob go for 1.6 iron block any way, its only a little extra wieght for a lot more power. If I can get hold of some cheapish jenveys I think that will be quite a nice little set up, along with some head work, a fast road cam and a 4-2-1, will be all the power I need!

Ali

calvinhorse
funny, almost as funny as paying more than necessary to set up carbs on a 1360cc with stand alone,wonder why peugeot used a dizzy with the french rallye ;).

i said nothing about setting up carbs? You asked why use management instead of a dizzy, you then contradicted yourself by saying you use management instead of a dizzy.

I answered the original post which was basically 'what engine would you put in my car'..

burr_2000
i said nothing about setting up carbs? You asked why use management instead of a dizzy, you then contradicted yourself by saying you use management instead of a dizzy.

I answered the original post which was basically 'what engine would you put in my car'..

eh ;) ? thats right i would keep TBs on Dizzy and "magically" control the injectors ;). it did not cost me to keep the dizzy so was not an expense at time when had webers. i would choose DTA over megasquirt but if you are on a budget then it would do the job.

calvinhorse

Welldone