• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
miamichris

Xs Disaster...

miamichris

Brief update. Spent most of the weekend working at the 205 and its back on its wheels again!

So the story is, the 205 xs gearbox DOES NOT fit the 106 gti engine, bolt holes don't line up so that idea was scrapped on Friday evening. Got up on Saturday morning and went off to the scrapyard to see what I could find, ended up coming home with a 106 1.5 diesel gearbox for £40.

Got the gearbox fitted and car back together only to find the clutch making a bad noise and getting no gears so I gave up and got drunk :P

So today I got up and pulled the gearbox off to find I'd fitted the clutch friction plate the wrong way round! :unsure: Turned it, refitted everything and got the rallye wheels with new Falkens fitted up and took it out for a test run. Clutch is still slipping a bit from the gearbox oil leak but hopefully that will wear in again as I did clean it with brake cleaner. First gear is probably the most exciting with the diesel gearbox, after that its a bit boring! But at least i'm back on the road.. :P

I need a shorter ratio'd box I think as I prefer the acceleration and don't do much motorway driving. I'm going to have a go at taking the bell housing off the 106 gti box to see if I can get it welded and back together. I'll maybe keep an eye out for a 1.4 xsi box if I can possibly find one! From researching a bit, this would probably suit me better unless anyone can suggest a different box?

Also, a good chiropractor for my neck and back after lifting gearboxes all weekend would be great! :lol:

welshpug

why did the gti box not fit? it would be the same casing as the diesel one you've fitted?

miamichris
why did the gti box not fit? it would be the same casing as the diesel one you've fitted?

The 106 gti box did fit, I was using it originally but a clutch bolt sheared off and has smashed a hole through the bell housing and into the diff housing, so thats why I ended up putting the diesel one on but the ratios are really long! So thats why I'm thinking of removing the bell housing to get the hole welded up, then put the 106 gti gearbox back on unless I find something else with similar/shorter ratios that will do the job!

If that makes sense, photos will follow which will paint a clearer picture :unsure:

Edited by miamichris

welshpug

ahh I see what you mean, to be honest I'd just get another casing and scrap the damaged one, the diesel box would be an ideal donor.

Edited by welshpug

joe1joe

that was what i was thinking just use the diesel bellhousing? simple!

miamichris
ahh I see what you mean, to be honest I'd just get another casing and scrap the damaged one, the diesel box would be an ideal donor.

that was what i was thinking just use the diesel bellhousing? simple!

I agree that the above would be my best option. I started trying to remove the 106 gti bell housing on saturday but gave up. I removed all the bolts holding the bell housing on but it wouldn't split apart, do you have to remove the final drive for it to split? I'm going to have another go some evening this week, once I do a bit more research, as if you can't tell I've never ventured inside a gearbox before! :)

miamichris

The photos!

The day the gearbox blew up:

th_Xsontrailerbroken.jpg

The damage:

th_Wreckedgearbox.jpg

Back together:

th_bonnetlifter.jpg

Another little mod I did when it was in the garage, Xsara bonnet struts. The grinder work needed is not for the faint hearted! Still have to finish the other side yet.

th_Bonnetstrut.jpg

As she sits tonight!

th_Xswithrallyewheels.jpg

Went out for one of those random drives on country roads last night to rediscover the joy of having a working 205 and came back grinning.. :lol: Amazing how planted it feels with the new tyres, the steering is nice and tight and perfect for the windy roads. The mintex 1144's are great when warmed up, but they're dirtying my white wheels with brake dust.. :P

I'm getting used to the gearbox too, its a cruiser box but if you keep the revs up it still goes like s**t off a shovel! I love my 205 again, until something breaks of course! :(

allye

Sounds great! My white wheels stay white for a few hours after i clean it, then the brake pad dust get at them! Just one of those things.

Ali

danpug

I think Sandy ran a 1.4 xsi box on his and liked it, he'd tried a couple of other boxes too iirc, was quite a few years ago now though.

miamichris
I think Sandy ran a 1.4 xsi box on his and liked it, he'd tried a couple of other boxes too iirc, was quite a few years ago now though.

Yeah, finding one is the problem though Dan! They're pretty rare, especially over here. I'm still wondering if I can fit a 106 bell housing onto the 205 xs gearbox and use it, could be worth a go.

Don't really want to take the diesel gearbox back off to take it apart so I might just pick up another one to take the bell housing from, that way I can still drive the car and work at gearboxes in my spare time under no pressure for a change! :)

danpug

Yeah true. How about a 1.3 106 rallye box? Close ratios though.

miamichris
Yeah true. How about a 1.3 106 rallye box? Close ratios though.

Had another go at stripping the bell housing off the 106 gti box and for me, its not worth the hassle. I started trying to remove the final drive to get it to split apart and I have to admit I haven't a clue what i'm doing! :( I reckon it's destined for the scrap yard and I'll try to keep my eye out for an xsi or rallye 'box, as you say.

What does it mean that the rallye 'box has close ratios, and is this an advantage or disadvantage? Does it just mean you'll be changing up through the gears quickly?

danpug

Yeah it'll make for quick changes. It'll be fun for fast road use but whether its ultimately quicker or not i couldn't say.