• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johnnyboy666

For People Who Have Done A Be4 Conversion

johnnyboy666

If you couldnt already tell, I've had some gearbox issues, and I'm struggling to find a replacement box

I do however have a BE4 box which i was keeping for a project, but i need a gearbox and i have one so i may aswell do the conversion now.

so I need a to do list from somebody in the know!

so far I know it needs converting from hydraulic to cable clutch, I can get an adaptor off spooks for £60

I seem to remember that I'll need gti shafts (1.6 obviously to fit my hubs)

something to do with the input shaft? or intermediate shaft or something? (i dont know what that is i just read it somewhere)

What clutch kit do i need

anything else I've missed?

hope somebody can help!

thanks

john

welshpug

I haven't yet completed one personally, but have gathered lots of pics and information.

Off the top of my head for a 205 you'll need;

TU-BE4 gearbox and matching intermediate driveshaft bearing carrier.

I think you need off the shelf 205 XU driveshafts to suit whichever hubs you are using, if its a base model hub currently then 1.6 gti shafts are ideal.

205 XU-BE gear linkages and subframe.

Clutch is the standard TU5 unit, the MA and BE use the same input shaft spline pattern.

To convert from Hydraulic to cable all you need is the clutch arm and cable bracket from Peugeot or Citroen found for a Berlingo/Partner van, cable comes from the same vehicle I believe, and fits the BE3 pedal, no need for any conversion kits and the like.

I have recollections of the TDC sensor hole needing to be modified from when a guy I service a Saxo for did his BE4 conversion but I've never had the chance to look over the car in detail as I live quite a distance and only see it on trips to Belgium!

That's what I know from gathering lots of info, I know Colin and Sandy have done a few 205 TU-BE conversions so i;d drop either a PM (Sandy probably, as Colin doesn't come on the forum that often I think)

I've got a BE4 to fit to my Brothers Saxo VTS sometime soon:)

tony perks

I seem to recall that the bell housing doesnt have the holes for the clutch arm on the hydraulic version, as the hydraulic slave sits down low almost in the same place as the old BE1 pivot would have?

johnnyboy666

excellent, thanks for the help so far guys, I've managed to find some of the bits i need

bearing carrier:

http://atspeedracing.co.uk/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_30&products_id=264&zenid=9a59629e6ba676861d863ff9d3d8067c

cable adaptor kit:

http://www.spoox.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2461&osCsid=5889a42f4efb3a96c188e2c1b47bf3da

Is it compulsary to change the subframe over or can the original be modified? Only i forgot to factor that into my budget!

also if anybody knows the part number for the above bearing carier, that would be great, cos i'm sure its probably cheaper direct from pug

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

Oh and welshpug, I dont know much about clutches, so when you say the standard tu5 unit, is there a specific part number for that , or just any replacement clutch for a tu5 engine? or are they all the same?

BERTMAN

it's a relatively easy job to move the linkages on the subframe, however you can get a GTi front subframe, wishbones, and ARB for cheap usually. Second hand of course.

johnnyboy666

Is it just a case of cut old one off, bolt/weld new one on?

I know theyre not too expensive to get second hand but I need to get this done with minimal spendage, and getting one with decent wishbones may be a pain in the arse as well.

On another note, is the gearbox mount in the right place, as ive seen some people change the mounts, although that wasnt for a 205 (i think it was a saxo?)

Edited by johnnyboy666

BERTMAN

as far as im aware the mounts are fine on a 205 (someone else will no doubt confirm). When i did it i cut off the old one and welded the new one in place, a few inches over.

johnnyboy666

I know its a bit cheeky, but i dont suppose you have a picture of it bertman?

welshpug

regarding the hydraulic to cable conversion, its just a replacement arm and bracket that comes out the front of the bellhousing similar to a BE1 box.

afaik you'd use the clutch that came with that engine, with the bearing suited for the clutch release arm.

both those links you've posted are just o.e parts, the bearing carrier would ideally be sourced with the box to get the correct one,the other brackets are easily sorted from Peugeot or Citroen.

johnnyboy666

thanks welshpug :)

yeah, i know those links are oe parts, I just cant seem to find the part numbers, so figured it would be easier to get them from the above places, at least then I know they should be the right parts

welshpug

have a look on the 106 RR, part numbers have been posted, otherwise have a browse on servciebox for the phase 2 berlingo/partner with the TU engines.

I'll dig out the numbers later if I remember!

RossD

You can do this using the standard MA clutch cable and the hydraulic clutch arm like I have, it's very simple. (Clutch is slightly heavier with the hydraulic arm as it's slightly shorter). Run the clutch around the front of the engine, terminate the cable on the bracket and run it through the clutch arm. Hey presto, pull type clutch with minimal effort. There are quite a few pics on my project thread. That Spoox part is a total rip off, its a standard Peugeot bracket, under £20 when I got mine.

Edited by RossD

welshpug

Found the thread; http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/showthread.php?t=77527

and if you can't see it;

The correct Citroen part number for the Cable operated clutch fork is:

The numbers are incorrect on the citroen part system, so when you order what you think is the cable arm (says 2117.66 which is incorrect) you end up with a hydraulicly operated arm.

th_IMG00075-20101217-1355.jpg

BERTMAN

sorry i don't have a pic mate, and im nowhere near the car for the forseeable future :(

johnnyboy666

ok, so part no's so far:

cable operated clutch fork 2117.58

pivot ball for above 2120.50

release bearing 2041.A7

struggling to find the part number for the cable bracket part, cant see them on the 106 forum and servicebox is a complete mystery to me!

other than that, waiting to hear back off ebay from a guy breaking a berlingo for the bearing carrier, then it'll be shafts and seals and i should be ready for a dry run!

still havent had chance to get the old box off yet, hopefully will get a chance after work one day this week now theres more light :D

a few other thoughts, what about speedo cables? and keep the old starter motor i assume?

cheers, I'll get there in the end!

johnnyboy666

right, I nearly went through and bought the lower mount/ bearing carrier from atspeedracing, but with vat and postage was nearly £100!!!!!

so i really need to find out the right part numbers asap!!

I've finally managed to get onto service box and the only mount i could see listed for berlingos with be4 boxes was the 1807.h8 part no

and the drawing doesnt look quite like the one from atspeedracing, so can anybody confirm if thats the right one or not please?!

I also still cant figure out what car the cable bracket comes off either and hence cant find the part no for it! can anybody help??

thanks

john

johnnyboy666

Ok progress update, for anybody interested, Ive ordered the rear mount/intermediate bearing carrier off ebay for £28, hopefully will be the right one, if so, thats saved me £70ish :D and hopefully, it'll have the part number on it so I cant post it up here for future reference.

just the cable bracket to source/fabricate now and we should be able to get going :)

tony perks

Ok progress update, for anybody interested, Ive ordered the rear mount/intermediate bearing carrier off ebay for £28, hopefully will be the right one, if so, thats saved me £70ish :D and hopefully, it'll have the part number on it so I cant post it up here for future reference.

just the cable bracket to source/fabricate now and we should be able to get going :)

So is the bracket not 2151.90? this is from the 106 forum thread!

johnnyboy666

bah, I seem to have assumed it wasnt because it says they were the wrong numbers a few posts later, but having re-read it i think thats just refering to the clutch arm

So my quest for parts might nearly be complete!

cable operated clutch fork 2117.58

pivot ball for above 2120.50

release bearing 2041.A7

cable bracket 2151.90

still unsure on what clutch cable i need, but that may be a case of trial and error

If anybody has access to prices for the above, that would be a great help, if not, a lengthy phone conversation to pug dealers may be on the cards!

welshpug

it's all on servicebox :P

johnnyboy666

how do you get the prices on servicebox?

(p.s I realise I'm asking a shagload of questions, but I'm hoping this thread might be useful for people doing this conversion in the future!)

johnnyboy666

aha! I figured it out! you dont have to put all the order details in to get a price, it all makes sense now (in a french sort of way)

so 211766 clutch fork £25.27

2041a7 release bearing £6.62

212050 ball joint £2.17

215190 cable bracket £4.54

splendid :D

BERTMAN

bit late, but i found a pic of a base model, and GTi subframe. The far one is from an XS, near GTi. So you can see where the linkages need to be moved to.

DSC00312-1.jpg

johnnyboy666

awesome cheers :)