• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonXS

205 Xs Wiring And Starting Problems

Frede

Haha...That doesn't sound right no, if i can remember i think you should only need to turn it 4 degrees (so barely anything) I think it says in the haynes but i don't have it with me down in London. Mines a different problem I think, it's been gradually getting worse at starting for about a year now...and it only just starts now if i'm lucky. I keep trying things but no luck yet :(

jonXS

yeah thats what i thought as the rotor arm is facing number 2 lead rather than 1 unless the cap is for some reason labelled incorrectly im really not sure. and its not like i can take it anywhere as its sorn'd and all that so i need a good mechanic friend....... thinking do i know anyone

but could it be my distributor?

yes it is about 4 or 8 degrees im sure

is yours fuel injection? my other xs i had developed the same sort of problem as yours it turned out to be the carb that was at fault. changed the carb and all was well :) could help you out

jon

Frede

No mines, the twin solex carb. yeah I did think that but i took the whole thing apart cleaned and rebuilt it and nothing changed.

Mine turns and turns and turns, and the battery is so good that often it fires in the end, and my fuel supply looks fine (filter too), rebuilt the carb, cleaned the plugs and distibutor cap, and nothings changed...I'm now thinking that i'm not getting the full voltage to my spark splugs, or could it be a compression issue?

Your distributor sounds a bit wrong...

-does the rotor arm spin when you turn the key with the distributor cap off?

Also if you have a multimetre you could check what voltage is running through the ignition coil!

I should be doing this next really...

Fred

jonXS

yes tell me about it im not going to get to have a look at it till nest weekend now but the rotor does spin when im cranking, ive thought that myself although it is a replacement distributor from the scrappy as i broke a piece of the housing on the original

i do have a multimeter but am not too sure on how to use it really :S

could be a compression issue but ive got plenty on mine, i have thought it could be the wiring itself and may go about rewiring the engine loom or paying someone to as its daunting doing electrical things :)

Edited by jonXS

steve@cornwall

Fully rebuilt motor with the dizzy about 90 deg. out of position and no one suggested valve timing wrongly set yet ???

jonXS

valve timing could also be playing a part you might be right. Could that be causing the lack of spark also?

I will have a look at it next week, after having a swot up on mr haynes manual :)

Sorry if it sounds dumb, but im no mechanic

i have set it up with the locking pins in position as states though

Edited by jonXS

Frede

Hi, have you had any more luck yet?

jonXS

no updates as of yet been to busy redecorating, got roped in to it on the one day i have off when its not raining -_-

Frede

Oh dear, I have some time off this week!

I got jump started on Monday night, charge the battery driving around,

tried to start it yesterday and it just turned and turned, killing the battery.

I took the plugs out last night, in the hope of sticking them in the oven and having one more go with the ever diminishing battery.

One spark plug is badly carbon coated, much more than the rest, which seems odd as i toned down the mixture the other day,

so I'm now perhaps thinking poor compression in one of the chambers possibly?

I also bought a multimeter, and some holts easy start spray, does anybody know if this is any good?

jonXS

hi people,

whoever cares or is willing to help with yet more suggestions.

well today ive disconnected the whole engine loom and checked it all out to be sure of any breakages. and safe to say i didn't find any :)

i have now worked out exactly where all the wires connect to, connected them all up now so the wiring is sorted now fingers crossed.

But i reset the timing up with the locking pins, checked the rotor arm position and it was sitting at no4 rather than no1 i turned the engine round a few times to get the rotor on to no 1, but had no such luck working out how to get it there. I just assumed that it would get there after a few revolutions.

miamichris

Something like this happened to me after I rebuilt the head on my Xs, I'm almost sure your timing is 180 degrees out. The rotor arm pointing to no.4 makes me think this as that happened to me, is no.4 opposite no.1 on the distributor cap?

I can't remember exactly how I solved this but it nearly drove me round the bend and I think I put a post on here about it, I'll try to find it for you. I'm pretty sure I remember there being two timing holes in either the cam sprocket, crank pulley or flywheel which made me time it 180 degrees out, so double check this and let us know how you get on.

jonXS

yes no4 is opposite 1 thats what made me think it could possibly be out somehow.

the flywheel though ive not checked at for another timing mark. and haven't noticed one on the camshaft end.

its slowly driving me round the bend, hence why ive not checked/updated this as its soo frustrating :angry:

miamichris

Read this, its my old topic -

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=105915

It seems that if the rotor arm is pointing at no.4 thats right, because no.1 cylinder is at the flywheel end. It seems that my problem was there being two timing holes in the flywheel which confused me and messed the whole engine timing up.

I really think your problem is ignition or timing related, theres not a lot needed to make these engines run so just go over everything again until you get the problem.

jonXS

thanks Chris

just read through the thread there's some really useful comments on there, they have given me something else to look at. do you remember how far the timing hole was from the other one?

if this fixes the issue i am forever in your debt :D :D

jonXS

well today thanks to chris, i had some new ideas of things to look at.

So i set about stripping everything down so i could check for the possibility of another timing mark on the flywheel and sadly found nothing :(

i've reset the timing as per haynes with the locking pins in place, gonna go out tomorrow to finish re-assembling it. Set ignition timing, and all that jazz fill up fluids and oil.

And hopefully she fires up (i should be so lucky)

miamichris

Well it was worth a try! Shame it wasn't the same issue as I had.

Maybe worth listing what you've tried/parts changed so we can see if you've missed anything? It'll be something straight forward no doubt but stick at it and you'll find the problem! All your timing pins went in fine and its definitely timed up properly then? What about these connectors you mentioned that weren't connected, put some photos up so we can see, or have you sorted those out?

jonXS

yeah it was a massive shame the problem wasnt the same as what you had.

the parts ive changed are rotor, distributor cap, another temporary dizzy, coil, ignition amp, ht leads, spark plugs, oil seals,bearing shells, piston rings, pretty much everything that i could change i did.

the timing pins went in fine yes. ive still not set ignition timing up as today i was roped in to taking the mother shopping.

but just to confirm i rotate it to BTDC which is 8 degrees off the top of my head :P and the rotor should be pointing at no 1 on the cap right?

the wiring/connectors i have sorted them as far as i know, after looking at the wiring diagrams for so long i think i get them now so that is no issue any more fingers crossed