• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dartman

Bike Carbs On 16V

dartman

hi all

have a 205 with tu 16v vts engine in, would make a great hot rod/ grasstrack car but no fuel injection allowed, the car is pretty much ready to race just needs a cage so dont realy want to build a new car or change the engine as it only went in a month ago.

i dare say you will tell me how much of a pain in the arse carbs are and how costly they will be, but the only thing that really concerned me was the engine management/spark control as cant put a dizzy on like the 8v.

is there any hope for the bike carbs?

cheers dartman

dartman

hmm thats a point, dont know much about that sort of thing, does that replace the original ecu or is it in addition to it?

Edited by dartman

dcc

oh god. please use a search engine and read up on it,

calvinhorse

oh god. please use a search engine and read up on it,

What is your problem?

Do you need it to be on a dizzy?

On most other engines when doing a carb conversion the ecu can be left in place to run just the spark, the injection wires can either be removed or tucked out of the way.

Don't just get trigger happy and chop all the wires off as some have multiple purposes.

As said an aftermarket ignition only ecu would be your best bet, but budget for mapping.

Fitting is fairly straight forward as long as you have a flywheel with the correct teeth.

Edit- the aftermarket ecu would completely replace your old ecu and would require a new engine loom.

Edited by calvinhorse

dartman

thanks for that mate will do abit more digging and see wats the best way to go about it

• Like 1

hcmini1989

Do some reading up on megajolt if your thinking of standalone very basic stuff just google it .Im pretty sure that you can use the pug 60-2 toothed wheels on these aswell.But as calvin said you can just use standard stuff and tape the injection harness up.

Out of interest why bike carbs?.By the time you`ve messed about getting manifolds (bogg bros if i remember rightly) and the right jets for your engine you will be into the same money as getting a decent set of 40s be it webber ,dellorto,etc, but the 40s will have a better resale value and are easier to source jets for .

oh and if you use a knock sensor you will be able to set the aftermarket ecu up yourself .then maybe get it tweekd at a rolling road

Edited by hcmini1989

dartman

good point about the webers etc, i just thought it would be easier to source bike carbs as can be found quite cheap. n yes it is bogg bros tht do the manifolds but ive heard there not fantastic, my bros a metal fabricator so may call him up on it. as for seting up the carbs themselves i no a few oldskool guys that use to mess about about with carbs on ford pintos and the like, ill dig themup out of the address book and see if there up for that, failing that i no a good place but might end up costly. like a said i was mainly worried aboutthe electrics, ecu, and ignition ecu.

but thanks for the heads upabout the cost being close to webbers set up, gives me somthing to think about.

cheers dartman

hcmini1989

Well the biggest downfalls of the bike carb set ups is the manifolds usually on rubber joiners if you could get your brother to weld a flange onto the carbs so that they could be mounted solidly to maybe a webber style manifold then you would be sorted and it would be pretty cheap if done at family rates ;) .

dartman

yer thats what i was hoping for, do you know what jets id need, i was thinking of running r1 carbs as its a racer mot or emissions wont be an issue i just wish there was a walkthrough guide on carb conversions but i guess its never going to be that simple.

hcmini1989

Well if you can help it dont split them apart i.e space them out to match each cylinder then you will have to mess about with linkages and making sure there all level etc.If you can maybe speak to the lads you know about carbs to see if any of them can re profile the jets in them .If not get onto bogg bross they do the jet kits for r1 carbs i dont think there that dear maybe ring them up and see what they suggest but if its a standard lump then they should provide you with the right jets or close to then get it on a rolling road and get it fine tuned.

dcc

Just going to leave this here...

General posting guidelines:

- the main rule of thumb is to get familiar and use the search function. most of
the technical questions you may want to ask have most probably been asked
and answered several times by now.

Edited by dcc

dcc

and here is a small idiots guide in the rules and guidelines

All you need to do is click on the search link (top right corner of the page)
and be careful what you enter as search criteria.

There's also a quick sub-forum search function (bottom left corner of the page).

dartman

i used the search engine many times and couldnt find what i was looking for, as this is for the tu16v there arnt many people around to ask i dare say i will want a direct qeustion awnsered and instead of trying to restart a thread started years ago i thought that actually starting a new thread on putting bike carbs on a grasstrack 16v vts engine would be ok, also if anybody does find a thread similar please send it my way.

dcc
calvinhorse

i used the search engine many times and couldnt find what i was looking for, as this is for the tu16v there arnt many people around to ask i dare say i will want a direct qeustion awnsered and instead of trying to restart a thread started years ago i thought that actually starting a new thread on putting bike carbs on a grasstrack 16v vts engine would be ok, also if anybody does find a thread similar please send it my way.

I've had a look too and can't find anything useful related to bike carbs on a 16v.

You get these keyboard warriors time to time!

Anyway back on tread..

Space is fairly limited when fitting webers to a Tu engined 205 especially the 16v, they pretty much hit everything!

dartman

tbh i only realy search thisforum as not a member of the others so often cant view threads and i cant post. and fair play to you i never found it proberly as its from 2006 and i like to use threads still in use so i can get direct awnsers but that is a very usefull thread.

cheers dartman.

dcc

Keyboard Warrior?

So at what point did you need to turn this into a personal issue?

Pretty sure space isnt that limited in a TU engined 205 - at all.

There is more space than a C2 and a 106.

Below is an image of jackmans rallye fitted with bodies on a Colin/Sandy inlet in a 205.

46e6b71b.jpg

dartman

well atleast were back to the thread, anyway the other thread basically concludes that it wont be worth it etc, but what if this is the only way no throttle bodies no turbo no cams etc. somebody must have done it proberly! were is that one guy lol

dcc

It is quite easy to do - you'll need to find a way to pick up a crank signal (fly wheel or otherwise), and fit some form of ignition only ECU. Are you running RWD or FWD?

calvinhorse

Whenever I see a post from you it's never useful.

Nothing personal I just find you rude

Jackmans car on throttle boddies.. Not weber carbs? Bit different.

Most off the shelf CARB inlet manifolds (if a good design) need modification of the engine mount and to fit a good sized air filter on it will foul the brake servo

dartman

ok now were getting somewere lol im running fwd. would the standard ecu through a hissy fit if i just let it control the spark or would it get all bossy and want to control everything lol

hcmini1989

As long as you left everything else fitted it should work ok just leave the injectors unplugged .You might have to rig the standard tps up on the carbs and maybe a map sensor if it runs one .Have a look at down draughts if the space is that tight but then you will probably have to knock up a manifold .

Edited by hcmini1989

dartman

right okay well ill get a manifold made up get some carbs longer throttle cable not worth running a choke, and then see if the ecu will run ok with the carbs on, failing tht standalone ignition ecu, right ive got most of the info i need to make a start thanks alot guys.

hcmini1989

Keep us updated ,Might be worth a mention are the ports the same on the 8v and 16v tu heads? and bolt holes the same?.Im sure someone will answer that but if they are you could get a carb off an old tu lump and get it rejetted maybe or just use the manifold as a starting point.Just another idea for you to look into .