• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dartman

Bike Carbs On 16V

calvinhorse

8v and 16v are very different inlet wise good idea tho! :)

calvinhorse

right okay well ill get a manifold made up get some carbs longer throttle cable not worth running a choke, and then see if the ecu will run ok with the carbs on, failing tht standalone ignition ecu, right ive got most of the info i need to make a start thanks alot guys.

Yeah that way if it doesn't work or doesn't work well youve not lost anything :D

dartman

haha well someone needs to pioneer this lol might aswell be me!

calvinhorse

It's an age old idea but as hcmini1989 says look into weather you need the throttle position sensor. And let us know how you get on :D

stu8v

You do need a TPS, Its also very useful to get rid of the dizzy and go wasted spark.

My mates mi16 made 206bhp at the fly on 45 Webers.

It has had a bit of other work though too.

cybernck

The engine in question is completely different to Mi16 though and already runs wasted spark, AFAIK.

dartman

any thoughts on jets or carb type, i think r6 bike carbs are usually used on these engines any ideas?

welshpug

best bet is to stop guessing and get running then sort a wideband, see how much fuel it actually needs then go from there.

hcmini1989

When i was looking into using some r1 carbs on my old mi16 Bogg bros had all the right jets in .Im pretty sure they had them for the saxo vts lumps aswell.I would invest in some of those and then as welshpug said get your self a wideband and see whats happening with the afr .Or take it and get them set up see whos about that do mapping maybe ring them up and see if they do anything in regards to setting up carbs.

I know alot of places dont bother with carbs now to much hassle most places would probably tell you to swap them for throttle bodies ,

dartman

good advice, ill make some phone calls i know a guy who should be able to set them up properly as like u said its a rare trade now, so i will be taking notes for the future.

calvinhorse

R6 carbs are only around 36mm so a bit low end on a 1600 IMO.

dartman

thats what i thought.i orinally wanted r1 bike carbs, but some guys said the r6 would run better with a 1600 engine and there are alot of videos on youtube of them running on r6, but as its for grasstrack i think r1 wouldnt hurt.

calvinhorse

Oh yeah they'll run on R6 carbs!

A friend of mine had a 1.9 gti on R6 carbs, and I know that's 300cc bigger but it was very resticted. My dads 998cc imp engined Ginetta runs 40s and makes just over 100bhp.

Don't quote me on this but I THINK R1 carbs are a 42mm.

welshpug

the internet says R6 runs keihin 37mm bore, and from what I also found for 45's on a 1.9 XU, they'd be on 36mm chokes.

R1 runs 40mm mikuni.

I don't know much more about carb tuning though, just giving you an idea of what I found quickly on the web, if youve already got them give it a go.

Anthony

Do some reading up on megajolt if your thinking of standalone very basic stuff just google it .Im pretty sure that you can use the pug 60-2 toothed wheels on these aswell.But as calvin said you can just use standard stuff and tape the injection harness up.

Unfortunately not, or atleast not yet.

Current Megajolt is limited to using a Ford 36-1 toothed wheel as it relies on Ford EDIS. That means that you'll need to add a seperate trigger wheel to the crank pulley and mount a pickup somewhere - not massively difficult in the grand scheme of things, but adds another layer of complication and potential for issues.

The new version of Megajolt is meant to (eventually) support 60-2 when it's released, but it's years behind schedule and still hasn't reached the full testing phase as far as I know, let alone proved itself as a reliable product.

dartman

^^ interestng piont about megajolt, hopefully the standard ecu will just run the spark, might need mapping tho, and still looking up about tps, there are lots of videos of this engine running bike carbs on youtube, just struggling to find answers i think i will go with r6 carbs theres a set on ebay for relitivly cheap, im guna make the manifold myself (brother) is there much difference between silicon connections or straight metal manifold, most people run silicon joiners to the carbs but a few people have told me it wont run amazing.

Edited by dartman

hcmini1989

The silicone joiners are CRAP! dont do it ,It will work but they have a habbit of moving im speaking from experience (gsxr throttle bodies) you will be forever messing about with them were as with a solid mounted ones it should be fit and forget.

As for tps if the standard throttle pot has one you will need to remove it and add it onto the throttle linkages on the carbs should`nt be to hard at all.

dartman

ok solid manifold it is, theres some good r6 carbs on ebay with fuel pipe/rail, throttle cable and tps on them. there all going from £80-£150 there are also some manifolds on there for £85 but they are the silicon joints, my brother should be able to knock up a solid manifold as said earlier, so thats nowere near as expensive as i thought it would be but im still worried about my ecu, will it definatly require re-mapping?

welshpug

You don't solid mount carbs.

You can use an Omex 200 or an ignition only S40 to control the ignition side of stuff with the standard crank sensor, a throttle sensor, the original coilpack.

dartman

people say you can use the standard ecu, although i dont no if it needs a remap, if it does what would work out better for the engine what you say above or the mapped ecu

hcmini1989

Why dont you solid mount carbs?@welshpug?

calvinhorse

The silicone hose works like an anti vibration, the carbs don't like being vibrated it puts air bubbles in the fuel.

Try a bike breakers for carbs, I paid £30 for mine. Few years ago now tho but still cheapest place.

I swear my R6 carbs measured 36mm :/

hcmini1989

Whats the difference between bike carbs and say webber carbs?.I mean dont the webber style ones suffer from bubbles in the fuel .The trouble i had with the silicone joiners was they would not grab the metal on the manifold hard enough they kept slipping about so i had to keep undoing the jubilee and butting them back up .I tried everything to get them to stay but in the end give it up and went back to a standard manifold.

Well if you cant solid mount them make sure you use the bike rubbers and not silicone ones.The silicone ones seemed to be alot softer and pulsated (dont know weather it mattered but didnt seem right).

calvinhorse

Well you don't always solid mount webers for the same reason.

Mine have rubber doughnuts between the carbs and manifold and wobble head bolts :)

dartman

yer there are a few around going cheap, just dont want to commit untill i know more about the ecu, does anyone know if it definatly will need remapping, im just assuming it does,