• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Hillman.94

1.1 Gl Road Rally Upgrades

Hillman.94

hi all

i have a 1.1 gl i use for nat B road rallying and so far iv put a gti rear beam on it it bilsteins all round lower springs and solid engine mounts and 14" pepper pots

i would love any ideas to help me make it a bit better but due to me being 18 bigger engines no option at the moment due to insurance

also any body have any bucket seats for sale?

thanks mat

Vili

Put gti front axle on it and faster steering. The 1.1 has solid disks at front if I remember correctly, while you are at it fit gti front brakes as well. They will be huge improvement.

calvinhorse

Maybe change to 106 Rallye steel wheels to save a bit of weight and a good set of tyres.

Loved my 1.1gl, ace little engine and certainly not slow for a 1.1 :)

Edit: 1.9 gti brakes will fit under Rallye rims too and are a great brake set up

Also a company called Griffith engineering do a short shift linkage for the tu engine 205, it shortens the gearstick throw by 40% which gives a more sporty feel but also keeps the gearstick away from the handbrake when you're in second!

Edited by calvinhorse

Hillman.94

i managed to sort the short shift out myself just extended the pivot on the linkage

would gti brakes fit onto the standard stuff?

Vili

The 1.9 gti brakes, disks and calipers, are bolt-on to your 1.1. However it is important to notice that 1.6 brakes won't fit they have different offset.

calvinhorse

But 1.6 calipers fit 1.9 discs!

• Like 1

welshpug

and are a lot lighter, probably work well enough for a little 1.0 too :D

S1 106's used the same caliper as a 1.6 and a 1.9 type disc.

Vili

Well it might be that my memory is playing tricks on me. I've used 1.9 gti brakes on base model uprights and remembered that 1.6 wouldn't fit, but it must have been the disks.

So actually you would want 1.9 disks and 1.6 calipers. That's good to know since I'm building a new engine which is going in base model shell.

Hillman.94

gti brakes it is i think im going to have to change the whole front sub frames as the 1.1 track control arms are different to the gti and you cant get

polly bushes for them nor a bigger anti roll bar

does any body also know if the 3 door roll cage can fit the 5 door? i cant afford to get a proper car see as im building a historic stage car imp for some unknown reason this 205 is my practise car >:)

calvinhorse

Timotorsport do poly bushes for tu engine cars

• Like 1

TooMany2cvs

I'm going to ask a really silly question here...

Given all those other mods, current and planned, is it really going to make a big insurance premium difference to be starting from a 1.4 than a 1.1?

• Like 1

Hillman.94

Yeah it bumps it up quite a lot Unfortunately. Once I start getting some good results I plan to but a 1400 block in it then the head later ect ect but its a neat shell for £500 and my dad used to rally a 205 challenge car and was Btrda gold star champion twice but he sold all his stuff a while ago and only has knowledge now

N3VRAM

This all seems like a lot of work/expense for a 1.1, are you not better starting off with a 1360 tu? I first got mine when i was 18 for a similar sort of thing - the insurance wasn't bad and there is far more you can change/upgrade even on a 1360cc model..

If not i'd start by changing the wheels, S1 106 rallye wheels or C5 'steelies' (worth a read if you don't know about them already) and try some better pads like Ferodo DS2500 rather than upgrading the breaks.. as you can't get much in terms of power i'd concentrate on keeping the weight as low as possible.

Edited by N3VRAM

allanallen

I'd start by putting a 1360 in it, they look the same anyway! :P you'll need a seriously good navigator to any kind of a result in an 1100!

C5 steelies are probably a bad idea as they're not going to be brilliantly strong for rallying, I'd sooner trade off the extra weight for the piece of mind that I'm not going to destroy a rim down a white.

What front arb is fitted and why do you want to go bigger?

Afaik a 3 door roll cage should fit a 5 door.

How rough are the events you'll be doing? We do events around Derbyshire and there's alot of things on my car I see as 'musts'(sump+tank gaurd, knobblies,hot pads etc etc) if you want the car to finish, if your events are all on proper roads though you may not need them.

N3VRAM

Fair point about the C5s.. probably not strong enough to take the abuse.

TooMany2cvs

Fair point about the C5s.. probably not strong enough to take the abuse.

Are these off the current shape C5? If so, those bad boys are damn near 2t kerb weight, so the rims certainly SHOULD be strong enough on a <800kg 205...

allanallen

Are these off the current shape C5? If so, those bad boys are damn near 2t kerb weight, so the rims certainly SHOULD be strong enough on a <800kg 205...

I would imagine he meant the lightweight alloy versions that look like steelies

TooMany2cvs

I would imagine he meant the lightweight alloy versions that look like steelies

Whichever wheels. The current-shape C5s are stupidly heavy cars.

jackherer

The wheels in question are from the early C5s.

TooMany2cvs

The wheels in question are from the early C5s.

Still a ton and a half - or two 205s.

jackherer

1300KG for the 2.016v or ~1.4 205s if you want to put it like that. http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/citroen/c5/hatchback-2001/21003/ I think my V6 one was 1480KG but that didn't have the wheels in question.

I don't think you can judge the strength of wheels for rallying from the weight of the donor car anyway.

Anthony

Exactly - different wheels tend to show vastly differening strengths and resistance to bending/breaking. Chocolate Audi RS4 alloys anyone?

TooMany2cvs

I don't think you can judge the strength of wheels for rallying from the weight of the donor car anyway.

No, it's certainly not that simple - but if the wheels are designed for the stresses and loads of ~1.5x the weight at ~130mph, then they're very likely to be sufficiently robust to be worth at least trying.

It's some of the aftermarket wheels which make me wonder exactly what they're designed for - cosmetics or functionality...

Tom Fenton

On a base model shell discussing the C5 wheels seems academic- I don't think with tall knobblies they will fit under the rear arches. 14" GTI alloys would be a better choice I think.

welshpug

Youre forgetting also the 195 65 balloons that the c5 has to protect the wheels!