• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lee-bg

Ecu Sensors Live Monitoring :)

lee-bg

I am haunted by the idea to 'live monitor' the ECU sensors in realtime through the SD connector. I've seen such custom made software + cable running on standard Windows XP OS.

Problem is i cant seem to find schemes and/or shop that sells cable from the standart 2 pin SD connector of the Bosch ECU to RS232 (computer serial port). Anybody have some clues ?

I am sure its possible just need proper schematics, software i guess can be found over the Internet. I will continue to look for as i think BMW and other brands share similar BOSCH ECUs so custom cable must be available to buy.

p.s. I can only find OBDII software, cables which is of no use on our type of cars.

p.s. Peugeot/Citroen TEC/Lexia..software/hardware is $$$$ so that is out of comment.

Regards

lee-bg

So after some internet search it seems our cars have 2 pins Diagnostic Connector (which beside showing blinking error codes of ECU) can be used for live communication with a PC to see live sensor data.

pin 2 is L-line or 'mass'

pin 1 is the important one - K-line or the data bearer.

It may be possible to use an OBDII RS232 cable but use only the K-Line pin from the OBDII jack and with proper software.

Edited by lee-bg

jim21070

Lee,

Any such monitoring will only be possible from a Motronic management system. Any engine with the older L-Jetronic system will not work as the L-Jet is in fact just a simple analogue fuel computer.

I can see why you want to do this. My son has a "carputer" in his 200SX and loves to put up all the gauges on the screen from his "ECUTalk" software :D

I too would like to know more as I'd love to monitor my Xantia Activa ECU but it seems concrete information is very hard to come by and hardware non-existent unless you have very deep pockets indeed :)

lee-bg

Yes, thats correct. "monitoring" is for Motronic only.

I will not leave things like this and for sure i will check out the matter more extensively. If i come up to some solution , be aware that i will share it with everybody.

For Xantia there is one problem, most of the settings are "citroen specific" due to the hydraulics and the complex Activa sensors, etc etc. So there only with Citroen Actia/Lexia software it can be fully inspected, but standart sensors of ECU can be monitored too. like Revs, Temp of air, temp of engine, TPS, Fuel injectors time, etc etc.

brianthemagical

what about making/finding a device that i belive will have to be little more than an ohm meter and connect it inline with all the sensors you want to know. then all you need is an interface for the meter and your computor. a simple program can be made to read the resistabce and then calibrated to give the correct parameters.

lee-bg

Yes, that is the idea basically.

and the ECU has all that info inside :wacko:) With proper software (and i am sure it exists) you just send command to the ECU and it returns each of the parameters in 'live mode'.

I think first step is to find suitable "connector" to connect to ECU data link connector and to Serial port of Computer. I have to read more, because i believe ODBII cable can be 'utilised' although not all 'pins' on the connector.

welshpug

any more thoughts on this guy's?

pee vee

You can go about it a different way..

this is something i had in my Cosworth.. you simply splice the wires into the ECU wires,

so it show you what the Sensors are 'seeing' so you dont have to go thru the ECU..

secs2.jpg

DSC00387.jpg

BRILLIANT for telling if a sensor has failed and things like that.. and also far more accurate than the analogue dash gauges...

it has its own 12v switched feed.. and simply monitors the earth signal coming from the engine sensors.. simple, and very effective.

welshpug

thats loddy excellent! what where and how?!

pugrallye

As mentioned above, you would need to piggy back the ecu multiplug wiring (for engine sensors) and then use some type of software/hardware to display the settings.

I have the diag machine for a bosch LE/LU Jet systems, but you wouldnt want to be driving about with that in the car, lol (which coincedentally uses a series of led's for each sensor)

Emmy Seize

So, live monitoring even the L Jetronic sensors shouldn´t be a problem if you follow the "piggy back" route.

This was how the old Peugeot tester did things even on Motronic cars.

To avoid a lot of wiring and soldering connectors, you should try to find one of the old interfaces that plug between loom and ECU for testing purposes.

This would give you a proper break out box without changing anything on the car itself.

I can look up the part numbers and take some detailed photos when I´m in the workshop.

The green or the red one, for example:

post-7571-1196769157_thumb.jpg

Edited by Emmy Seize

pugrallye

ahh the good old 'speak and spell' machine

jackherer

ebay: 140184491890

wont send to the UK though...

(I suspect that particular one is for a 405 8v but he says he has others)

Sign in to follow this