• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Turbo Engine Vss Module

Richie-Van-GTi

Can anyone tell me how critical the VSS module is on a 406 turbo engine? I have the sender in the gearbox and Ive made the loom up but Im left with 3 wires. All of which look to be going to the VSS module based on the mainspot wiring schematics. The guy Im making the loom for doesnt have this module. If it is dead critical then I will try and find him one with a connector from another car (what cars use them?). Im hoping someone will say its not important and to just carry on regardless :rolleyes:

sonofsam

My 406 loom doesnt seem to have a socket for the VSS module, so I don't run one, however I have a VSS in the gearbox wich functions correctly.

I have seen 605 and XM looms wich have the socket for the module :wacko::lol:

craig f90

Ive had to take the modified to suit cable VSS out of my box, because my plastic weld broke, which made the cable pop out. so its not connected. cars fine, but might be eating a tad more fuel?

Richie-Van-GTi

Im not talking about the VSS in the gearbox, there is supposed to be a module that goes with it. Its the module part Im missing. Does anyone know where it is located on a 406 and what it looks like? I will nosey round some other 406's to find one if I have to :wacko:

welshpug

I guess some ECU's use the information directly rather than through a module, so some may not have it fitted?

sonofsam
Ive had to take the modified to suit cable VSS out of my box, because my plastic weld broke, which made the cable pop out. so its not connected. cars fine, but might be eating a tad more fuel?

From mine and Ants MPG , that's about the sum of it.

Would agree with what Welshpugs says, earlier ECU's are different i think.

@ Richie-Van-GTi ,.. pandoras Box : underneath steering comlumn.

Richie-Van-GTi

massive help so far, thanks everyone. Is this module only on the turbo lumps then? Its now the only thing missing :)

Richie-Van-GTi

just trawling wiring schematics and it seems the xud11 also uses one of these. I should be able to grab one tomorrow :)

Rob Turbo

I'm not sure that you need the actual module, I think you can use the speed sensor from a 306 that has 3 wires instead of 2 and connect that straight to the ecu - one positive wire, one negative and one signal to the ecu.

That's what I'm doing anyway, s16's use the same ecu and thats how they work, no box of tricks to complicate things!

Ant

The two wires from the sensor on the gbox go back to the Speed sensor module. From there 1 goes back to the ecu ( to control fuelling ) and the other goes to the speedo - also a -Ve and +ve feed off the module. The sensor on the gbox just sends signal to the actual module, which in turn talks to the ecu. well thats how i think it works from previous posts

Rob Turbo

That is how it works, but the 3 pin type sends a signal directly to the ecu, making the wiring easier! :lol:

Richie-Van-GTi

in theory it sounds easier but I bet the module sends a different signal to the ecu.

Rob Turbo

Just had a look on autodata and the control box is just a signal amplifier, some 2.0 8v turbos (like the later citroen xantia's) have a 3 pin sensor and are connected straight to the ecu

Also, s16's use this setup and they use mp3.2 management aswell

Sign in to follow this