• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Anybody Know Much About Ford Duratec V6's?

johnnyboy666

Sorry this isn't pug related, but you lot are a knowledgeable bunch.

I'm looking for info on the ford Duratec 2.5 v6 (cougar/mondeo etc)

I'm just trying to figure out whether this engine can be fitted into a different car and still retain the standard engine management and loom.

I've been scouring the web for the info, but most of these conversions ive seen into kit cars etc, have been guys with massive budgets putting throttle bodies on them and hence using standalone management. I cant seem to find any retaining the standard management, and theres limited info on why/if it wont work.

I believe there's some security features that cause issues, but can these be bypassed?

I'm still pondering engines for my pickup project, and this engine with a jag s type rwd box is ticking a few boxes so far, and they're cheap, but they're no good if I'll have to spend £1k on ecu/mapping etc

thanks in advance

John

Nath88n

Sorry I can't help but why not use the Jag engine?

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

price was the main thing putting me off initially, but looks like theres only about £100 difference between the ford 2.5 and the jag 3.0. I cant find much info on whether i'd come across the same ecu issue with the jag version though

Nath88n

If the ecu issue is the same for both engines I would go for the Jag engine. It's a better engine as you would expect from a more expensive car.

A little bit of info from wiki;

'Jaguar's AJ-V6 engine has an aluminium engine block and aluminium DOHC cylinder heads. It uses SFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder with VVT, features fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods and a one-piece cast camshaft and has direct-acting mechanical bucket (DAMB) tappets, these design aspects differentiating the AJ-V6 from the Ford and Mazda versions.'

Anthony

I think the older Duratec V6 (think Mk1 Mondeo era) shouldn't be too hard to seperate from the donor car and keep the standard engine management, but I should add that I've not personally looked into it at all - the reason I reckon it should be is because you seemingly can with the Zetec engines judging by threads I've read where people have stripped mid-90's Escrots and Mundano's to retrofit the engines into older Fords.

Look into the Zetec side of things which should be easier to find info on and logically the same should apply to the Duratecs as the immobiliser and interface with the donor car should be broadly similar between the two.

scbond

You can run the Duratec from its stock management but you'll need to take over quite a few bits. Not worked on a Duratec myself but fairly certain it uses the same Ford PATS immobiliser system (if not, it'll be a newer version) that comes with the Zetecs. It consists of a glass key chip that sits in the Tibbe key and an immobiliser ring module which reads the chip...both are mated to one another and the ECU requires a PATS ring present, so you'll want all three from the same car. I always thought the PATS and chip were mated to the ECU as well but I have heard otherwise. Plus, it'll make things easier to use the Tibbe key and ignition barrel or you'll face difficulty finding a barrel for the immobiliser to fit around and a key for the chip to go in.

If I'm not mistaken, Jaguars of the Ford era also use the same or similar system.

Edited by scbond

chrisj21

I run a mondeo st24 as a daily at the minute until the rust condems it in the near future, fantastic engine, in the three years I've owned it it's not missed a beat apart from needing a water pump.

If your taking the the whole package from one car I don't see it being a problem, just make sure you have the "red" key to programme the PATS immobiliser system should you ever need too. I bought a new fob from ford and had to programme it for the immobiliser and it was pretty straight forward, I found the info online.

I imagine but don't know for certain that the jag v6 would have a more complex immobiliser system.

scbond

I imagine but don't know for certain that the jag v6 would have a more complex immobiliser system.

Depends on the age of the Jag really. The Ford era Jags use the same concept. Might be a bit worrying that Jag used the same system as Fords and not something better but the Ford PATS system is pretty robust.

BERTMAN

I'm breaking a V6 Ford Cougar.... ;)