• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Matt180

[project] 205 Gti 180 Track Car

Matt180

Hi guys

I thought it was time i started a project thread and made myself known on here. Not really a big poster on forums as i dont get chance, ill try and make more time!

I have been doing track days for 6 years now starting off with a s1 106 xsi with a 16v engine fitted. A few years past and i wanted more power so decided to supercharged it. I spent the best part of 2 years building the car to the spec i wanted.

The xsi

10624_186570663988_560928988_4017082_3432606_n.jpg

Half way through the build i also bought this

n560928988_1076487_2252.jpg

The car was built by a mate with my help a few years previous to my project. He managed to find a fully track prepped shell that only needed an engine. He didn't want to go down the old mi/gti-6 route because he wanted something different. In the end decided on a 206 GTI 180 (EW10J4S) engine and found 1 that had covered only 500 miles when lifted from the 206. Im fairly certain it was the first 205 with this engine fitted, we contacted various peugeot tuning companies for info and all said it couldn't be done. To start with we had it running on the standard ecu and multiplex wiring which wasn't ideal. We then ditched that and ran it on a omex 100 and carbs (yes thats an engine with variable valve timing and carbs :D ) It produced a healthy 197 bhp and 155lb/ft, we were over the moon. The smiles soon wore off so its back in the garage for cams, TB's and omex 500. This next setup made 202bhp and 161 lb/ft, not much gain for the money spent but it drove so much better and idled like a standard car.

After a couple of years and plenty of trackdays my mate decided it was time for a house. So much of my own time and effort went into the car i couldn't resist buying it. I was half way through my 106 project at the time and kept at it for another year. Having such a good all round track car i always had doubts in my mind wether the 106 could be a match for the 205, deep down i knew it wouldn't. I decided to break the 106 and keep a few of the good parts.

In the last 2 years i have owned the car its had a full respray, a few extra sets off wheels and just general tidy up. It may be a track car but its my aim to keep it mint, the shell was dry stored for a number of years be for my mate bought it so not single bit of rust any where.

How it looked after the respray

41230_484376733988_560928988_6998369_3285380_n.jpg

44512_484376768988_560928988_6998371_2853693_n.jpg

At the end of summer 2011 i decided to strip the car down and rebuild everything. That included fitting the parts that i kept after breaking the 106.

New parts are

Rotrex c30 94 supercharger

Omex 600

Omex race loom

Cobra suzuka pro buckets

Sabelt 6 point harnesses

FSE adjustable FPR

Siemans 660cc injectors

Forge alloy rad

Forge intercooler

Mocal oil cooler

Weber AFR gauge

More to come soon

Edited by Matt180

Matt180

Stripping the car down and mounting the S/C

14082011514.jpg

Making the new Inlet plenum

21082011521.jpg

Mouting oil coolers

21082011522.jpg

Fabricating the new strut brace

11092011530.jpg

Matt180

Once happy with how everything fitted i stripped it down, seam welded the bay and filled all the unused holes in the bulkhead.

Seam welding

14092011530.jpg

Primed Bay

17092011532.jpg

Painted Bay

22092011535.jpg

Inside the wheel arches

18092011533.jpg

Edited by Matt180
  • Like 1

BERTMAN

excellent, looking forward to reading your progress...

how did you go about fitting the brake servo etc on the passenger side? as i've been thinking about doing something along those lines.

Edited by BERTMAN

Baz

Good work Matt! Was wondering the other day if you still had it! This is what i'd call an 'Ultimate track 205', given as it's still a 205 and has a decent power plant derived from the original! ;)

Not sure i agree on the 'charger personally, i'm a fan of NASP for a few reasons, but no doubt it'll be pretty damn awesome anyway! Keep the progress updates coming! :)

Something tells me this'll be a popular project...!

Edited by Baz

Matt180

excellent, looking forward to reading your progress...

how did you go about fitting the brake servo etc on the passenger side? as i've been thinking about doing something along those lines.

Cheers mate

Its a full setup from a Ford Mondeo, everything apart from the pedal basically. We modified the 205 pedal to suit and made up the a few brackets to hold the servo and brake bar. It works really well and the M/C on these is 25mm :D

Matt180

Good work Matt! Was wondering the other day if you still had it! This is what i'd call an 'Ultimate track 205', given as it's still a 205 and has a decent power plant derived from the original! ;)

Not sure i agree on the 'charger personally, i'm a fan of NASP for a few reasons, but no doubt it'll be pretty damn awesome anyway! Keep the progress updates coming! :)

Something tells me this'll be a popular project...!

Yeah still got it, selling did cross my mind a few times last year when i still had the 106. Now thats gone i know i have made the right choice.

To be honest mate, i want a bit more power and if i could warrent spending big £££'s to get 280bhp N/A i would. I love N/A but having this charger sat here it just made sense. They still drive like N/A cars but with a bigger kick up the arse :D The engine is staying standard so im not goin for big power figures, ill be restricting it to 7-8 psi and hoping for 250 at the wheels.

Matt180

While i was faffing with seam welding, painting and cleaning i sent off all the parts i wanted powdercoating. I want a nice clean look for now and years to come so everything that can rust either got powdercoated or replaced for stainless or alu. (apart from the subframe bolts because you cant see them :D )

I have spent a fortune on stainless bolts, nuts and washers etc. The only ones i cant get hold of are the damper top nuts, think they are a m14 fine thread. Can anyone point me in right direction????

Anyway parts back from coating

shiney :D

15102011546.jpg

15102011547.jpg

29102011550.jpg

Edited by Matt180

ash mi16

looks nice and tidy mate :D

Weser

WOW this is great. :wub:

Really looking forward to seeing this progress looks like it will be a great read.

As for M14 fine nuts Clicky

I think these are a bit expensive. Being in the food industry, at work we use stainless everything. We buy the majority of our fixings from ERIKS Hopefully it helps

stu8v

Dont use stainless for anything under load as they are considerably weaker than the std grade bolts use by peugeot, be warned.

Josh_Quant

can i ask what expansion bottles that?

welshpug

volvo IIRC.

Liquid_106

Any pics / info on the original engine install, mounts / shafts used etc?

Like the idea of 180bhp (ish) out the box :ph34r:

Edited by Liquid_106

feb

This looks mint :wub: Totally standard from the outside as Peugeot intended but with nice modifications under the skin.

I guess the conversion is easier on a LHD car then due to the MC being on the correct side?

Edited by feb

Liquid_106

This looks mint :wub: Totally standard from the outside as Peugeot intended but with nice modifications under the skin.

I guess the conversion is easier on a LHD car then due to the MC being on the correct side?

Car is RHD - MC is off a Mondeo, same setup as a 106 / Nova

Baz

Very much so i'd say yes! LHD's are better in many ways, better weight distribution etc... :)

Conversions like this go to show how easy it'd be to overcome on a RHD car ultimately though!

Matt180

Any pics / info on the original engine install, mounts / shafts used etc?

Like the idea of 180bhp (ish) out the box :ph34r:

Unfortunately not. We just chucked it together in the first place and everything worked spot on. Thats the main reason im doing everything again now, keeping things the same as i know it works but making it nice and tidy.

Shafts are modified 180's

all mounts are standard parts but modified

Matt180

Some of you may know the 180 engine has a pretty trick 4-2-1 stainless manifold. When we first did the conversion i used a 2.5" flange, because thats all i had. It would have been causing some restriction on the maifold joint.

I have now changed it to 3" and im going to be running a full 3" mandrel exhaust.

01112011552.jpg

Wrapped

02112011557.jpg

3" full system

21112011575.jpg

Keeping things looking standard :D

23112011586.jpg

stu8v

3" is surely way to big, I used that size on a 300bhp turbo car........

Baz

Lovely tailpipe!

The manifolds are beautiful as original, so easy to fit/remove too comparative to Mi/6's and even std 8v items too!

dav1

This car is mint i love it. Are them 180 gti engines a strong unit like the gti-6?

Paul_13

a strong unit like the gti-6?

Not in my hands :lol:

welshpug

3" is surely way to big, I used that size on a 300bhp turbo car........

low boost gti6's run 260+

This car is mint i love it. Are them 180 gti engines a strong unit like the gti-6?

as paul said, a gti6 doesn't seem that strong as standard really :lol: but yes it does seem a more advanced design than the XU and being lighter as well, Sandy does like them :)