• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
zowow

Mot Woes! =[

Anthony

What actual figures are you getting from the emissions test? CO, HC, Lambda.

zowow

i don't have the print out but he said it was running at just over 13%

the lambda/cat has stopped it running lumpy but 13% is way over

luckily i don't have a keypad immobiliser so i should be okay miles, they are ringing round for a cheap 2nd hand one but i doubt they'll find it. i think they are going to check the resistance on the ECU temp sens next and will give me a bell

if it is the ECU it'll be hard to source i think

aren't they a bit rocking horse if they are uncoded for a 2.0 block?

i never would of dreamt the coolant sensor would of made it that bad though?!

Edited by zowow

welshpug

crikey eck!! change that sensor and the engine oil ASAP!

Anthony

As said, that's very high. Two things spring to mind to check.

Firstly, I'm not sure about the 405 2.0 Mi16's, but I know the 306 S16's with the same engine have a lambda sensor with two 2 pin plugs on it. If you plug these in the wrong way around, you end up with high emissions and the K-light will periodically come on (and a couple of lambda -related error codes are stored)

Secondly, you mentioned it sounded like there was an airleak somewhere around the inlet. Check that the vaccum pipe to the fuel pressure regulator is OK and hasn't split/broken/fallen off - if it has, then you'd get overfuelling at idle and light throttle, and I suspect that you'd get some form of overfuelling or lambda fault logged.

KRISKARRERA

Kind of would have been better if it had passed emissions but failed on a gaitor! The 2 plugs for lambda oughta be in the right way, I matched them up easily because the wires were same colours as on the old sensors wires.

welshpug

you're right Anthony, they do have the 2 plugs, on the 405 they are by the battery tray as the Lambda has a 1500mm lead, but I dont think you can plug them in wrongly due to the tabs on the plugs, easy to check.

How far are you from the M4? I shall be passing Swindon mid morning tomorrow and could have a look if you're around then, or Monday sometime on my way back.

zowow

i'm sure they would of checked the wiring on the lambda probe to be honest kris, i just find it unlikely its the coolant temp sensor because i wouldn't of throught the emissions would of been thrown out by that much.. i mean, 13% is a lot..

it's in the garage atm, but if they can't sort it, i'm actually off monday which would be better.

has kris got yer no? i'm sure he could be around as well couldn't ya kris?

Edited by zowow

Anthony
but I dont think you can plug them in wrongly due to the tabs on the plugs, easy to check.

You certainly can on a 306 S16 (and hence I assume 405's too) hence mentioning it - the engine starts and runs fine with it round the wrong way, but the emissions are high, the K-light comes on periodically, and there's a couple of stored lambda related errors when you connect up a code reader.

zowow

they are definately 100% the right way round

we checked twice and so have the garage.. worth a mention though.. cheers

Miles

I;ve got a spare uncoded ECU from a non keypad 306 if it comes to that

zowow
I;ve got a spare uncoded ECU from a non keypad 306 if it comes to that

Cheers miles. No word from the MOT station yet, however i remembered something..

The dude I bought it from (nice as he was) said that he had problems with the immobiliser, so he had to get a new 'box' and key from another vehicle.

At the time i thought this a bit strange as it didn't look like it was a keypad immobiliser model.

now this guy did have 4 other 405's (a diesel Mi16 replica, and a 405 estate) and said he got the spare box and key from a mate, but maybe, just maybe, that 'box' was actually an ECU and it's from a different engined 405? that could make sense...

I'm not really sure what the MOT place are doing with it now as i've not heard from them at all!

James.

Edited by zowow

Miles

The immobiliser on the non keypad model's wasn;t anything to do with the ECU, I know on the 306's the box is behind a panel inside so I can;t see it being that at all, Even if it was a different ECU as per the 1.9's used around 4 different type's and most can be changed if the pin layout's the same

zowow
The immobiliser on the non keypad model's wasn;t anything to do with the ECU, I know on the 306's the box is behind a panel inside so I can;t see it being that at all, Even if it was a different ECU as per the 1.9's used around 4 different type's and most can be changed if the pin layout's the same

hmm, still the guy could of quite easily of changed it thinking it would help? someone may have told him it did have an effect?

i was just thinking he did have a few 405's so it'd be easy to grab one from another car and put it in.. either way the garage said they've got some more stuff to try on monday..

to be fair they sorted out a sensor on my dads vectra when it was running like s*ite, so they seem to be an alright place (my grandad knows the owner as well)

i've actually rung him up to tell him about what you guys have said in this post to try..

he said he's already checked the coolant temp sensor, and he needs to check the fuel pressure thingy hose

oh,

just so you can see here is the car i'm trying to get back working argh

08102008048.jpg

08102008051.jpg

it is very clean tbh, just needs a set of foglights, and a new mirror housing lol

zowow

Ok heres an update

just got a call from the garage who say they can't work it out and that they havent got a clue whats wrong with it but the ECU will not read on their fault code reader.

kinda thinking of getting rid of it now maybe, doing my head in arrrgh

Miles, how much do you want for that ECU?

Welshpug.. coming to swindon again any time soon now its on my drive? lol

=[[[

Sign in to follow this