• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DGTi

Phase 1 205 - Mi16 Wiring

DGTi

Hi Guys,

I am in the middle of doing an Mi16 (XU9) conversion on my 1986 Phase 1 205 GTi.

I have read through mountains of guides on the wiring but they all seem to be based around the phase 2 GTi with the 2 brown multi plugs under the dash which I don’t have, and this thread;

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=81453

is the closest I have seen to describing my situation… I’m just looking for a bit more information / clarification if possible.

So far I have routed my 405 Mi16 loom round the engine connecting plugs as I go. The 405 loom still appears to have several unconnected plugs towards the end of the loom, which I am assuming the 205 doesn’t make use of?

Then there is the two brown multi plugs, and this is where I am stuck!

Can somebody please tell me on a Phase 1 205 how many and which wires am I looking to splice from the 405 loom?

Obviously there are the two mentioned in the thread above for the Fuel Pump and the Tacho, as I understand it the Fuel pump wire is going to come from the box on the passenger side inner wing, and the Tacho is coming from the 205 Coil pack? Is this all that is required??

Thanks in advance for any help

DGTi

welshpug

Earlier cars only have a single brown plug under the dash, and a separate gauges + ignition loom coming through the bulkhead under the expansion tank on a RHD car.

Depends how early yours it, it might have all the relevant wiring on the n/s chassis leg inc the Tachymetric relay, in which case disregard the mention of two brown plugs, though the wire numbers and functions still remain applicable.

You are correct in that there are very few required just to make it run, then there's the ancillaries and gauges of course.

Edited by welshpug

Miles

Use all the phase 1 engine bay wiring and then just connect the fuel pump, Switched live and rev counter up

petert

For this I like to get the matching black and brown plugs from the Mi16 chassis loom, with 150mm or so of wire attached. I then splice into the 205 loom near the coil, giving a complete plug & play professional installation. The starter solenoid plug/socket is the same as 205.

post-2864-0-72594700-1360739994_thumb.png

post-2864-0-09321300-1360740377_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

DGTi

Wow thanks for all the responses!

Earlier cars only have a single brown plug under the dash, and a separate gauges + ignition loom coming through the bulkhead under the expansion tank on a RHD car.

Depends how early yours it, it might have all the relevant wiring on the n/s chassis leg inc the Tachymetric relay, in which case disregard the mention of two brown plugs, though the wire numbers and functions still remain applicable.

You are correct in that there are very few required just to make it run, then there's the ancillaries and gauges of course.

Welsh Pug, I believe all my wiring is in the engine bay, the Tachymetric relay is certainly in there, in a little box near the front of the n/s chassis leg.

Unfortunately I didn’t remove that part of the old 8v loom from the car so I can’t be 100% sure that there wasn’t the one brown plug you mentioned… is there an easy way we can determine which I have? The old ECU loom removed with the 8v engine doesn’t have a connector on it between the ECU plug at the end and the first engine plug, so I would assume this rules out the one brown connector??

Use all the phase 1 engine bay wiring and then just connect the fuel pump, Switched live and rev counter up

Miles, the only wiring I have removed from the car is the 8v ECU loom, which is very basic, literally just a few plugs round the engine, and connections to another loom… I assume this is now redundant and the phase 1 wiring you mention is the remaining connectors that plug in round the engine bay? Like the plug into the radiator??

(Also there is the small loom between the starter, alternator and battery which I have transferred to the new Mi engine)

For this I like to get the matching black and brown plugs from the Mi16 chassis loom, with 150mm or so of wire attached. I then splice into the 205 loom near the coil, giving a complete plug & play professional installation. The starter solenoid plug/socket is the same as 205.

Petert, now I’m confused!! Haha

I take it the method your prescribing is replacing all the phase 1 wiring with this splice connector?

This is my first experience of auto electrics, and I’m a real novice (Obviously!) so apologies if I am a little slow to pick it up.

I have plugged the Mi16 loom I have with the ECU to all the available connections on the engine… was this the wrong thing to do with the Phase 1 wiring, should I have had existing connectors in the engine bay to connect to some of these?? For example the Mi16 loom is connected to the oil pressure sensor at the front of the engine should this have been connected in some way to the phase 1 wiring… not that I can see anything else in there that would connect to it?

Thanks Again

Miles

I'd remove all the Mi16 loom sensor's and as said use the car's sensor loom which saves joining any wires, then it's a simple multi plug to join the Rev Counter, Fuel Pump, Switched Live over just under the header tank, Plus the Mi loom does not have a oil pressure fitted to it.

DGTi

Hi Guys, sorry for the slow response, I don’t get down to the car as often as I’d like!

I have now managed to splice the Fuel pump and switched live from the phase 1 wiring thanks to all your advice on here, thank you.

Unfortunately I am still not getting a spark or fuel! And I think the issue lies with the 405 loom. We have gone round the engine and plugged up all the available plugs til there is no more connections left around the engine, but we still have a number of loose plugs, which I had assumed were not used on the 205 (The likes of air con and power steering?)

However after a bit of testing on the 405 loom we found that between the switch live that we spliced and the relay that it goes to there is a Brown multi plug, that is not connected and after hours of looking we have no idea where it should go, here is a picture of the plug;

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/adirtjumper/0E844A43-AB98-4D9A-ADE5-24A256E69A05-9991-0000041C3FED3163_zps9c812b1f.jpg [/img]

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/adirtjumper/3F2AB3B5-FF18-439B-80E1-650E5E042B9F-9991-0000041C3D5FC738_zps39b8abfa.jpg[/img]

Can anybody tell me where this belongs?

Thanks Again

Andy

Edited by DGTi

petert

Coil?

DGTi

I am using the old 8v coil, will the Mi16 loom plug up to this the same, or should I have an Mi16 one?

dcc

why are you doing that?

I would use the mi16 item

DGTi

Haha only because the Mi16 engine didn’t come with an ignition and I didn’t realise that the phase 1 205 one was so different!

Does anybody know if the Ignition Amplifier Modules are the same, and if the phase 1 205 one will work with the Mi16 ignition when I get hold of one?

Cheers

Miles

That's the issue, The Mi coil needs to run off the 405 loom as if I remember a switch live runs thru there too along to the ign amp, Without seeing the wiring having 2 systems side by side will not work, there is no Power steering plug either, the ECU is too clockwork for that