• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

[Car Upgrade] 205 Xe To Euro Rallye

tomcolinjones

hello 205 gti drivers, its been a while!

I've been out of 205 ownership for around 3 years, until my old man asked me to do something with his CTi a few weeks ago. And I kinda got the bug again!

so last week I put an add out on here after a 3 door base model, and last night I went and picked it up. After 6 hours of a drive down country to north Devon, and 5 hours back to Shropshire I can say I am a proud owner of a 1.0l 205 xe!

first job is to sort out the bodywork. It needs a n/ wing, headlamp, indicator and possibly a bonnet if I cant straighten it.

post-15475-0-11447000-1420991928_thumb.jpg

Edited by tomcolinjones

tomcolinjones

this morning I went into work and washed it off and removed the boot trim. Rest of bodywork is nice and tidy. Will need some t-cutting as some areas have started to go off white.

post-15475-0-76232700-1420992497_thumb.jpg

tomcolinjones

next stage is to remove the gti vanances from the cti, prep and paint them ready to go on after I source a wing. Rallye grille, boot and wing decals are ordered. I am also looking out for some rallye arches to complete the exterior. Also looking for a thick black stripe decal to go in the recess between front and rear arches.

if the finished product looks half as good as this ill be a happy man!

post-15475-0-32716100-1420992797_thumb.jpg

post-15475-0-87667100-1420992866_thumb.jpg

Edited by tomcolinjones

calvinhorse

Tom I see you're after a Rallye engine

The 106 Rallye 1.3 head is the same as a Saxo vtr head (I'd look into this as I may be wrong..)

And it sounds like you have a 1.4 alloy block bottom end? Maybe look into buying a full Saxo vtr engine and loom and putting the vtr head on the 1.4 bottom end? I think the compression may be very/too low but with some research I'm sure you could make something pretty cool

• Like 1

tomcolinjones

I don't have a 1.4 bottom end. Just the tu9 (1.0) engine. I had looked at the tu5 head but I'm unsure about the different pistons in the alloy 1360 blocks. Either way it will be running on twin 40's . Xsi or rallye engine would be ideal to be honest.

Henry Yorke

Also looking for a thick black stripe decal to go in the recess between front and rear arches.

It isn't a thick black stripe but the PTS colours in the examples you have in your photos. If you want a thick black stripe, an XS has a rubber moulding on there. Personally I think they look best with nothing as the front bumpers have nothing either.

• Like 1

tomcolinjones

never seen one in the flesh, I just thought it was a black stripe! I'll look into getting something made at some point.

I've been in touch with a lad in Leicester whom has a xs engine and box and full set of rallye arches! So things are looking promising.

Silky

Great project.

I'm currently looking for something similar locally, I don't have access to a trailer so travelling miles and hours away like yourself is not really an option.

Will keep my eyes on this, good luck with it

kenneth205xld

I am with Henry on the side decal being PTS colours. The complete set of Euro Rallye decals are for sale on Ebay France. Check the link out below.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/KIT-COMPLET-Stickers-autocollants-Peugeot-205-Rallye-Talbot-Sport-/181621449678?pt=JG_FR_Auto_Pi%C3%A8ces&hash=item2a497b63ce

tomcolinjones

thanks for the link! Can you order off ebay.fr with uk user name?

tomcolinjones

I typed the number in my ebay app and I can buy them. :)

does anyone know if its possible to get hold of the euro rallye air box setup. I think the actual airbox is the same as the xs etc, but the plastic box that goes over the trumpets of the Webbers?

tomcolinjones

first parts arrived today. Long way off fitting them though!

post-15475-0-66265500-1421329552_thumb.jpg

tomcolinjones

here's a couple of pictures of the damage. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. Inner wing / slam panel / headlamp mounting will need a bit of re shaping, Nd I don't think ill get the creases out of the bonnet.

post-15475-0-63424100-1421329856_thumb.jpg

post-15475-0-48263900-1421329937_thumb.jpg

Pugleyrich

Looks like this will be good. Also good thing your car is a H reg as the earlier lights won't look out of place (H being the phase 1.5/2 crossover) assuming you're going to change them?

tomcolinjones

I am indeed. Amber front indicators arrived today! New old stock ones, surprisingly cheap too.

Pugleyrich

Where did you get those?? I need a pair.

tomcolinjones

Where did you get those?? I need a pair.

I ordered them off ebay. nos ( new old stock) got them for £20 the pair delivered, from different sellers.

Managed to get the car home today. it drives pretty well and goes ok for a 25 year old 49hp 4 speed 1L with a smidge under 170,000 on the clock!

well except for the o/s shaft is shot and there is no brake pedal!

I shall be doing a full brake / hub / drive shaft swap from the CTI to the XE, as it is all 1.6 gti stuff. rear beam on the CTI is in good condition so thats a straight swap. Ill also swap over the master cylinder and servo unit. with new pipes, pads, discs, shoes all round.

got the bent wing off and did a bit of body beating getting the inner wing back to a good shape, needs a little welding and it will be good as new.

ive pulled the headlamp brackets / adjusters of the cti as these where all cracked from the bump .

bumpers and valances are off the cti, and the wing was surprisingly easy to remove, i just tapped a sharp chisel through the seam sealer and slowly pulled it away.

bonnet will be coming off tomorrow and it will then all be prepped for painting.

temporary_zpsf7206cfb.jpg

temporary_zps34c80c16.jpg

temporary_zpsf5f2f106.jpg

temporary_zpsab8a3b40.jpg​temporary_zps941ed0a8.jpg

Edited by tomcolinjones
  • Like 1

Silky

Got a pic of the engine bay?

Interested to see what the engine mounts look like

tomcolinjones

I've just looked through my phone and I haven't taken one. They're just standard tu mounts.

just been to buy some plastic primer for the bumpers. I've got some 106 steel wheels that look identical to the rallye wheels in the pictures in going off. They need spraying up or powder coating. And I need to source sone black bub caps l. I think Peugeot partner ones will work.

Silky

Does it have a top mount on the left hand side?

I've seen some without a top mount on LHS, small engined versions.

tomcolinjones

those would be the older Talbot engines ones? I've seen some 309's like that I'm sure. No this uses mounts in the same places as the gti etc.

Silky

Can those be amended to take the newer engine?

Any idea if you can put the top mount on?

Albeit weld it on

205Rallee

The 205 Rallye airbox that attaches to the Webers are really difficult to get hold of and you need the backplate plus the spring clips and the seal plus some Weber DCOM's to fit the airbox too! By the way the TU24 engine is based on the 1124cc block.

Have a look on 205Rallye.net, it has all the information detail you will need, plus stuff for sale. Only downside is 99.9% of everything on there is in French. The other website where you can find 205 bits on is leboncoin

If you need any photos or details of a euro rallye just let me know and i'll take some photos of mine :)

• Like 1

tomcolinjones

thanks 205rallye!

I know they are a bored out 1.1 with big valves and twin 40's. A s1 106 1.3 rallye engine is my idea of a low cost replica :) should get similar performance with some dcoe's on that. I've got an tu3s for the mean time. But for now I'm concentrating on the body work. Then it will be suspension, brakes. And engine :)

Edited by tomcolinjones
  • Like 1