• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

[Car Upgrade] 205 Xe To Euro Rallye

tomcolinjones

cheers Stuart!

grille and tailgate decals turned up yesterday morning. Paint ordered for wing, bonnet, bumpers and valances. Door / side decals and rear quarter badge decals on order

trogboy

I've got a euro 205 Rallye airbox and backplate sitting in my garage at the moment. I also have a rather more rare airbox from an AX sport, which is very similar, using the same backplate but much thinner.

The 205 airbox needs a little TLC to cover two holes that a previous owner drilled into it. I was thinking of selling them but didn't think there would be a market for them in the UK.

• Like 1

tomcolinjones

pm sent trogboy!

no progress to speak off, just received my full rallye stickers in post:

temporary_zps22d5bd43.jpg

Its been too cold to do any painting, so I've been looking into which engine/fuel delivery to use in the long term. (tu3s on carbs for the mean time)

tomcolinjones

today I've primed the bumpers and valances, tidied up the front panel, removed the skinny wheels and put some 1.6 wheels on. Also got the heat gun out and made a start removing the trio plus stickers.

I've also taken the fan cowling from the cti and fitted the xe fan in the blank space.
I've arranged to collect the arches, tu3s engine and gearbox this weekend :)

Edited by tomcolinjones

calvinhorse

Awesome :)

PHOTOS!!!!!!

• Like 1

tomcolinjones

I'm having problems uploading pics from my phone, and I can't copy the link from photobucket. I'll get some up when I get to a pc.

tomcolinjones

swapped the base model wheels for some 13" 106 steel wheels, look pretty tidy, need blasting and painting and some decent tyres putting on.

I've taken off the rotten back box and fitted the cti one, which I like new and 1/4" + larger tailpipe.

tomcolinjones

temporary_zps1beba119.jpg

temporary_zps79a571aa.jpg

th_temporary_zpsbc8880ec.jpg

tomcolinjones

been to collect my nice tu3s engine and uk rallye gearbox, turns out it wasn't a xs gearbox :( and a set of new rally arches.

the bloke I bought them off has 2 genuine lhd 1.3 euro rallies! Had a good look around the one, it was a very high standard. The euro rallies appear to be 1.6 gti shell, running gear and suspension inc subframe, with the tu24 bolted in. The rear arches are gti shape.

going to have a few sessions striping the CTI so I can get in the garage properly.

the 1360 head is coming off and being sent to motor cast in Shrewsbury for testing and full cleaning and re assembly.(£120) So in the meantime I'm going to put the 5 speed box on the 1.0, and maybe the solex carb.

Edited by tomcolinjones

calvinhorse

Noooooooooooo! Don't put the super long uk Rallye box on the 1 litre! It'd be horrendous!

• Like 1

tomcolinjones

its got to be better than the 4 speed with a jukebox 1st gear?

calvinhorse

It's so long tho, the 1 litre box is matched to the engine so will get the most out of it

With a longer box you won't be able to pull to the top of the gears so when you change gear your revs will drop well down out of the 'power'

By all means try it but it's a load of work

• Like 2

tomcolinjones

I'm going to have to find something decent to use with the xs engine once its ready to drop in. Maybe a 1.1 or a saxo furio box I can find cheap

calvinhorse

I always liked mine with a 1.4 Saxo box, it wasn't a million miles longer than an xs box

The straight trough middle pipe off the 954cc and 1124cc 205 is a nice 'upgrade' of sorts.. Feels like it gives it more mid range power

• Like 1

Wallby

There's an xs for sale on eBay at the mo for 300, that might be an easier starting point!

tomcolinjones

took my dads 1.1 106 for mot last night, ratios seem fine. 60mph at 3k revs in 5th and pulling well through all the gears, considering the 106 is a bit lighter than a 205 and it is on little 145/13 or something tyres, it shouldn't be horrendous with the xs engine, maybe 20 more hp??

bought a pair of lowering springs off a forum member, hoping to get some black bilsteins soon all round. Should handle well with the 1.6 gti beam.

tomcolinjones

got a price from local paint supplier for 1 1/2 L of cellulose and thinners .... £155!!

so I phoned a bloke called Geoff who is one of the owners of Jawel paints in wolves, very helpful chap, quoted me £80 delivered for the paint, plus primer and thinner and he is throwing in some maskintapepe and wet n dry. Happy with that.

Edited by tomcolinjones

tomcolinjones

fitted the drivers seat from my old xs that I had in 2006 last night. Much nicer feeling as you sit in the seat rather than on top of it! I'm sure its a little bit lower too. Waiting for a forum member to get back to me regarding some xs rear seats. In the long term in planning on getting them covered with rallye seat material and the pts logo.

Edited by tomcolinjones

tomcolinjones

stripped the cti of anything of value yesterday. Hub to suspension arm holes are nice and round, calipers look in good condition, power steering rack needs all the power assisted bits removing ready to go in the rallye.

tomcolinjones

been to swap a set of speedlines for a gti subframe, wishbones, power steering rack, anti roll bar, struts and a drive shaft. Must say I'm happy with the deal as I had £40 my way too!

getting married next week so I wont be doing much work til I'm back from the honeymoon. Got a nice pile of parts to be fitting when I return :)

tomcolinjones

th_temporary_zps990ec082.jpg

th_temporary_zps4c304d28.jpg

th_temporary_zps46c77f5f.jpg

th_temporary_zpse0f96da2.jpg

th_temporary_zps840d7b63.jpg

tomcolinjones

finally getting down to bare shell with the CTi. Got some more nice parts to collect in a couple of weeks time: Gti carpet, matching centre console, flat rear quarter badges, rallye wheel centre caps, a white bonnet, xs rear seats, rallye front valance grilles, a xs strut brace and a pair of skip brown front struts complete. All to fit to the car once I've finished painting and fitting the tu3s engine.along with the gti front subframe, arms, pas rack, 1.6 beam and the 106 wheels.

Edited by tomcolinjones

tomcolinjones

Now its a little warmer I've been having a go at some spraying. last weekend I flatted back, plastic primed and grey primed the bumpers, wing and rallye arches.

Next on the list is to sweep out my workshop and get the car in, masked and primed ready for the top coat to go on over the following week. I'm really happy with the results of the priming, as i am not a skilled or experienced sprayer .I've been reading lots of online guides and i'm taking my time as i want it to be spot on. otherwise whats the point of putting the effort in?

th_temporary_zps864dcee7.jpg th_temporary_zpse7d48cf3.jpg th_temporary_zps6796d95d.jpg

tomcolinjones

quick update.

I fitted the skip brown suspension and 1.6 gti hubs, calipers and discs, along with new braided hoses. the suspension has lowered the car apx 40mm and the 1.6 hubs have increased the front track by apx 50mm overall.

got the car into the garage and started masking up ready for the full spray.

temporary_zpsdglstd0y.jpg

temporary_zpsmlnrmqwb.jpg

th_temporary_zpsbcx9sclk.jpg

th_temporary_zps8lv0d3th.jpg

th_temporary_zps8qxyeqmj.jpg

th_temporary_zps1dm7xou0.jpg