• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Danez

Car Won't Start......

Danez

Okay so basically my '92 205 Gti won't start.

What happens is when I get a jump start my car idles for about 10 mins but then struggles, revs go way below 1000 rpm and cuts out if you don't put the revs on yourself.

After this the car won't start. Not even turn over! Yet the electrics such as Windows seem to work and the lights.

So what do I do? Annoyingly I'm currently at a festival and didn't bring my multumetre so can't determine some stuff but the little colour indicator on the battery says it's fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading

steve@cornwall

Only thing that strikes.me is to check the earth to the engine as it seems the starter and charger are struggling. And possibly the positive connections from battery .

Danez

Also when the ignition is on the K engine management light is constantly on and I can't remember if this is normal?

2-Pugs

Does the K light come on when the engine is running?

Edited by 2-Pugs

Danez

Turns out it was the altenator.

Fitted a new one today but the altenator is incredibly hot, hurts to touch and can smell burning. But the belt isn't too tight. What could this be? Battery nackered?