• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Braymond

Electrical Woes - Day 2 Of Ownership

Braymond

I was fully expecting the relationship with my newly acquired 205 to be a turbulent one, and sure enough, on day 2 I'm already out my depth.

The test drive, journey home (~60miles whilst it got dark and rained a little) and little run out (15miles) the following day, not worries. But last night too if for a little blast as it was 'dusking', turned the lights on, which promted the the wipers to also come on. And the hazards, then main beam. All the instruments went a bit bonkers for a spell, then a momentary loss of all power, then no lights, indicators not working.

then all was well for 30seconds before going through the same or similar dance with wipers/lights/hazards coming on and off at will.

I wonder if a little bit of rain has got in an upset it, having probably not seen rain in many years? Or perhaps there is something more? I wonder also not sure if relevant) if the battery not be in the best condition, but I wouldn't have thought that would cause these symptoms?

I'm pretty wet behind the ears where electrics are concerned so truly don't know where to start.

Anthony

Given the number of apparently unrelated circuits going strange, I'd suggest a possible earth related issue. Check and clean up the various earths and try again.

Braymond

Don't suppose you could guide me to said earths...?

Also, how should they be cleaned??

Edited by Braymond

welshpug

most of those circuits terminate in the engine bay earth behind the passenger headlamp.

cut back the wires to clean copper, extend if necessary and re-terminate with a ring and discard the original yellow plugs, clean up the surface and bolt them down.

• Like 1

Braymond

Thanks Mei

By re terminate with a ring, do you mean cut off said yellow plug (somewhere) and wind bare wires around the fixing point + bolt down?

Edited by Braymond

jackherer

No, you need to buy a crimp tool and some ring connectors of the right size.

Braymond

Ahh I understand. Thanks.

Does that mean then the existing earth is achieve via said yellow plug connector??

welshpug

yes they are.

Simes

You'll find your lights might be a bit brighter too.

Roon

Had this exact problem many moons ago when I first got my current pug. After a refresh was good as gold.

Certainly quite a worrying thing to happen when your driving along at night all sort of electrical disasters cross your mind!

Braymond

That's encouraging to hear! Thanks.

Before I start making a right horses arse of things, is there only one yellow plug I need concern myself with in/around the passenger headlamp area?? I don't want to start chopping yellow plugs of will nilly-ly

welshpug

yes, look for the green and yellow wires.

there is a second identical earth point on the other side for the RH lights.

post 90 cars they also have an earth point by the rear of the washer bottle.

Braymond

Thanks again.

Anthony

Before tackling the front light earth point, check the main earth from the battery to the shell next to the nearside shock tower - if that's bad, that would explain matters.

If you can replicate the issues on the driveway, a decent quality jump lead from the battery negative to an exposed bit of clean unpainted metal on the shell (not engine/gearbox) should rule it out.

I've got to admit that I've never seen the headlight earth point cause the level of electrical woe you're seeing, even when they've been properly grotty - normally some or all of the lights on that corner just stop working properly but the main interior electrics are unaffected, which doesn't sound like what's happening in your case.

Braymond

There's some very knowledgeable people on here. I'm very grateful to you all.

Will check the main earth first. Got the afternoon off so will get amongst it later on today I hope.

Mikey S

I used a pair of 18 inch long car amplifier earth leads (0 gauge wire iirc) on my 205. I took one from the main earth point on the gearbox to the main earth by the header tank and the second from there to the battery. Make sure they are cleaned to shiny metal then apply some silicone grease as that won't affect the earth it makes but it will seal the joint so corrosion won't set in.

toolie72

Get your head round how the electrics work then it's easier to guesstimate possible faults

Earth/negative/0volt what ever you want to call it is just the return for the circuit-a bad earth effectively allows a lower voltage to pass or in your case it seeks a different way (down circuits it shouldn't be going) causing grief

A jump lead from a suspect earth point to negative terminal of battery (and giving it a shoogle!!) is a very basic but effective way of narrowing it down (watch other cables though)

If your fault only starts when you put a specific circuit on (dipped beam etc) then that's your first port of call

Keep everyone posted of progress (we're only guessing after all cos we're not there)

Good luck

Braymond

I wish you were there/here!

As you've correctly identified, my head is very much NOT around how the electrics work. Not yet at least. I didn't have nearly as much time as I hoped at the weekend, (10 month old...) so only really got as far as locating said earth connections near the headlights, and observing the offside looks neat and tidy and nearside looks pretty ropey and also seems it wrapped up in a dodgy little bag, so I wonder if this area has seen some clumsy attention in the past.

I know the driving lamps aren't currently working after the old chap that I bought the car from had (I think) replaced them and failed to ever get them working so I wonder if his attempts have caused upset somewhere.

If I renew my earths by removing the yellow plugs, will I be left with a stud onto which I can bolt a ring terminal down?

Anthony

also seems it wrapped up in a dodgy little bag, so I wonder if this area has seen some clumsy attention in the past.

Believe it or not, that "dodgy bag" is an OE fitment to provide a little protection to the earth points - suggesting to me that Peugeot knew they'd be a weak point.

Braymond

:-D who knew

(for some reason when I try to "quote" a post, nothing happens...)

Braymond

So I've cleaned up the 2 earths by the headlights, but the problem persists. The most common symptom being the indicators sometimes work, sometimes don't, but I did also get a few token passes of the wipers thrown in for good measure during my 15minute spin.

Frustratingly, now back on the drive - it's behaving.

I've not yet converted to a ring connection for the earths, partly because the near side had a second plug I wasn't sure what it was so didn't want to cut that off and include. But I did remove them and give them a good clean.

I had a look at the gearbox earth but it looks pretty clean.

Other things I noticed which may or not be relevant (I took pics but I'm struggling to upload them here...) there's nothing connected to the near side suspension turret on the little electrical tab, but there is in the offside.

There's also a ring connector not connected to anything coming up just behind the battery (negative end), seemingly coming through the bulkhead from the interior.

jackherer

Those wires on the struts are only for the brake pad warning light circuit.

Post some photos if you can, especially of the ring connector that isn't connected, that doesn't sound right.

toolie72

Strut top wire is for your brake pad warning lights (to complete circuit around the rubber suspension components)

Indicators/wipers on same stalk? That'd point to the stalk and/or wiring

The issue with the wiring on these things now is the cables can rot back from a connection (they look fine) and the only way to be sure is to remake connections once "good" cables found

Need a picture of your ring (ooer missus) to know what it is (although I don't know how to put pics up either lol)

Damn my slow typing

Braymond

I will have another stab at linking to pics later.

It's both indicators, or hazards though, either working or not so I'm not sure it's the stalk.

I've just noticed that when the indicators are working, the fuel gauge moves up and down to the same rather, so when the indicator is blinking on, the fuel gauge dips down, and then back up again once the light blinks off etc, so I guess this does continue to support a 'weak' circuit somewhere..

Edited by Braymond

Braymond
IMAG3494_zps6qwbogu3.jpg