• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Leslie green

205 Gti 1.9 Phase 2 Wont Start No Spark

Leslie green

Car hasn't ran in 10 years and had a lot of bits missing and problems ,trying t get it going again ,I bought it as a resto project with most of engine bay stuff disconnected . Tried to start it today but getting no spark and noticed the coil loom has a wire hanging of it ( the white wire) with a connector in it and not sure what its for ? Will be changing leads as they are bad but thats not the issue im sure.I had a spark tester on one to see if there was a spark.

20170622_152643.jpg

Edited by Leslie green

welshpug

its a spare wire for a suppressor, typical problem is either the trigger pickup wise from the distributor to the amplifier broken or just the pins not secure in the plug housings, or the amplifier itself.

12v comes from the ignition to the coil so check you have that too.

Leslie green

Hi thanks will have a check tomorrow :) will see if I can find another amp too would be useful as a spare if nothing else .

welshpug

is it jetronic or motronic?

Leslie green

its jetronic pre cat , 1991 car

Leslie green

The wire from the dissy is plugged in but when I followed it back there is a 5 pin brown plug (only 3 pins in it) that isn't connected to anything coming out of the same loom and even has same colour wires where should it fitted not seeing anywhere obvious for it ,hard to see anything with all the pipes but must be the issue !!

Coil has 12v to the 4th pin nearest passenger side.

welshpug

got a picture? that sounds like the fan loom test point.

you need to check for continuity between the dizzy and the ignition amp, if that's all fine then try a spare ignition amplifier or coil.

Haynes workshop manual has the diagrams you need, peugeot went on wire numbers not colours in the main.

Edited by welshpug

j_turnell

Is the fuel pump priming?

jackherer

There are two threads about this car/engine which is slightly confusing... I think in the other thread he said it wasn't pumping fuel until it cranked over so it isn't priming but the tachy relay is activating when it sees a cranking pulse which would suggest the fault is the ignition amp or something after the amp like the coil itself.

Leslie green

Hi Mei yes I have checked and have continuity on one of the pins between amp plug and 2 pins on the dissy plug , yes I think it is a fan test plug now like the airflow meter only pins at 90 degrees to plug.Got the haynes manual here will try to have a check .

Fuel pump flowed into a can when I took the pipe of at the injector rail and had pressure at the top of pump when I took the line of to take pump out .

So the pump should run before the engine spins over ? I wondered about this and its why I took the pump out the tank as there isn't a crank sensor so how does it know when its rotating ? Will put a wanted ad for an amp now seems like the next buy thanks .

sorry about the 2 threads was meaning to keep the tech questions in here and the build on the other project thread .

Edited by Leslie green

Anthony

I think in the other thread he said it wasn't pumping fuel until it cranked over so it isn't priming but the tachy relay is activating when it sees a cranking pulse which would suggest the fault is the ignition amp or something after the amp like the coil itself.

Not necessarily - on Jetronic, the tachometric relay will also engage with voltage on the starter solenoid wire, even if the engine isn't turning over.

• Like 1

jackherer

sorry about the 2 threads was meaning to keep the tech questions in here and the build on the other project thread .

I wasn't blaming you! In fact I think it was me that posted something technical in your other thread...

jackherer

Not necessarily - on Jetronic, the tachometric relay will also engage with voltage on the starter solenoid wire, even if the engine isn't turning over.

It's true, and I know it :blush:

I should either get myself an 8v to keep them fresh in my mind or stop posting in threads about them!

Leslie green

It's all good info I know very little about gti's have had a diesel for the last 11 years and my classic car only has a carb .

The dissy plug connected.

20170623_111812.jpg

Anthony

That's not the right plug.

Blue plug looks like the one for the radiator thermoswitch - the correct plug from the dizzy signal cable is yellow in colour.

Leslie green

Hi will have a look next time I'm down ,I have a plug on the thermo switch on rad but no idea what colour it is though but I thought it was only a 2 pin but not sure now ...

jackherer

That'll definitely prevent it from sparking!

The wire from the yellow plug looks pretty rough too with exposed screen wire etc so even when connected to the right plug it might still cause problems.

Leslie green

I had a look through pics I got when I bought the car and that was one of the very few wires actually connected under the bonnet will have another look next week .Only way to fix that plug would be to buy another dissy .

Edited by Leslie green

DamirGTI

No need ! It's dead easy to repair that dizzy signal cable .. did a few myself and never had isuess with them fixed .

D

jackherer

Even if it can't be repaired as Damir says you can replace them without replacing the whole dizzy, they unplug at the other end after you undo a screw IIRC.

welshpug

should be a black plug with a wire clip you are looking for.

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen similar :lol:

hoodygoodwood

If everything was disconnected when you got it there are a few possible connectors which could be in the wrong place , later type rad fan switch and dizzy fly lead are 3 way as your pic shows . Water temp sensor , supplementary air device ( SAD ) and gearbox reverse switch are all 2 way Bosch connectors and in a similar area , the water temp is normally blue to blue and the gearbox white to white iirc . The SAD plug will show 12V when the ignition is switched on I think .

Leslie green

Quite a lot is not working yet so will be working my way though ,did get the reverse light to work though yesterday . my battery light on dash is not lighting up I'm guessing it should be with ignition on ? Its great the way plugs near each other look similar the fan 2 pin plug was in the little relay box at the front panel so i couldn't find it either . :D

Edited by Leslie green

Leslie green

It runs thanks lads it had me stumped ! have found a few other issues now but not starting isn't one of them cheers .. :D