• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Braymond

Replacing The Exhaust

Braymond

I've tried searching but struggling to find an answer...

Background - I need to replace the exhaust on my '88 1.6GTi. The previous owner fitted a massive (noisy) tailpipe and back box, and did so seemingly by cutting the old backbox assembly off about 300mm 'upstream of the backbox.

So I thought for ease, I'd start again, and replace the whole system rather than trying to retro fit another backback onto my sawn off pipe.

So I found a few systems that I think look the business, but these seem to terminate at the downpipe. Now my current system appears to be one piece from the manifold all the way to the cut where the new back box is fitted.

I guess my first question is this likely - that it should be one piece?

And secondly, what then are my options for replacing? I'm not chasing performance gains, but I do like the aesthetics of the Maniflow exit from the car. More so than the standard 'droop' anyway. But with a one piece downpipe/midsection, am I limited to a OEM (copy presumably) from the manifold back?

I saw someone selling a Klarius 3 piece manifold back system on here. Is Klarius the standard exhaust manufacturer?

Thanks!

Edited by Braymond

Anthony

Being an '88 your car should have a 3-piece system with sleeve-fit joints - downpipe, mid-pipe with silencer and the backbox.

Later cars (1990 onwards) had 2-piece systems with an olive joint - on these you've a backbox and then the rest of the system is one piece.

Braymond

Ahh ok - an olive like that used in plumbing presumably? (but obviously bigger and not made of copper..)

Perhaps I need to give it closer inspection, there is what looks like and old (dark) weld on the 'engine side' of the silencer, where it meets the down pipe section. I couldn't see any other joins.

How are sleeve fit joints, and indeed the olive joints separated after nearly 30 years?

welshpug

Klarius is cheap poorly fitting motorfactor tat.

ECIA is the oem manufacturer and you'll only get these from a dealer.

if there is no join in your system from the downpipe till the rear silencer it sounds like you have a phase2 centre/downpipe section already, however if it has been cut shorter it wont mate up to a phase2 silencer.

welshpug

the olive type joints separate very easily, there isn't a separate olive as such, its part of the pipe on the silencer, with a flared end to the centre section.

the earlier 3 piece sleeved systems are smaller bore, and often wont come apart without some brute force but I doubt there are many 30 year old ones about.

Braymond

Thanks, that's useful.

So when an exhaust is described as 2inch diameter for example, its referring to the OD presumably?

Edited by Braymond

tartanbloke

I fitted an OEM 2 piece system to my 89 model and it was the best decision I have made. Quiet and refined at motorway speeds but raspy when giving it the beans and as it has the split int he downpipe, revs all the way up to the limit without issue.

Therefore, if you can get one of these.

Braymond

Where might I get one? And this is manifold back presumably?

For aftermarket systems - is it conventional to have to cut the end of the down pipe and weld/clamp the new system on from there?

tartanbloke

Yes, from the manifold back and places like Mister Auto will sell the systems but trying to find an OE system with the split may take a while as they are no longer manufactured.

With regards to aftermarket systems, I do not know.

• Like 1

farmer

Might have an Eica system OEM avaliable soon

Braymond

How soon is soon??

Braymond

Is it good nick? Keep me posted - thanks!

farmer

Middle box and back are new peugoet items

Downpipe as far as I believe is 1 excellent used and 1 new but rough with being older stock

All new clamps available OEM

Also got a new Walker downpipe with splitter so a few alternatives

Edited by farmer

Braymond

All pretty good news! Used-excellent would prob be my preference then. What's this Walker downpipe all about though? And will what you have (soon) for sale mate to a 1.6 1988 manifold? (I don't know if all this 2piece/3 piece caper has any bearing on the manifold or not. Not, I would guess...)

The only remain question of course, is how much would you want for it?

farmer

No bearing manifold wise

Walker is new with splitter in it

When I see them can price up

Minimum would be

Used downpipe

New middle box

New back box

New clamps

Braymond

Whats the splitter do/for? Create some kind've 4into2into1 presumably rather 4-1?

Final question - is the OEM exhaust 2inch? Rather 2.25 or something?

farmer

I would need measure the 3 piece items

The back boxes have a few dents on them as per old stock but be priced accordingly

dobboy

If you go to the Walker website /ecatalogue you'll see all the versions.