• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JoeVTS

[Engine_Work] 1990 H 309 Vts

JoeVTS

hi there, i have a peugeot 309 on my drive which i bought a couple of years ago for £100 as a running 1.3 look, i ran it for a few months until the clutch gave up, at which point it became my VTS conversion project.

to begin with i had a good xsara VTS head from an engine which had suffered a broken conrod, a whole 1.8 VTR engine from which i intended to use the bottom end, and a set of dell'orto DHLA40Gs... after a bit of research i realised i was out of my league so i just bought a whole xsara VTS engine for £100.

the current situation is a 309 1.3 shell with engine, gearbox, subframe, suspension etc removed, a xsara VTS engine and gearbox with 205 1.6 diff, 309 diesel subframe, driveshafts, hubs etc, 309 goodwood struts, xsara VTS brakes.... now i could slap these parts together within a few hours but i know nothing about cooling systems and electronics so this is where i need help from the experts, as well as some idea of which components i should be fitting to the 309 before i go crazy with the nuts and bolts, and which standard 309 components i need to remove first.

PICT1707.jpg

PICT1762.jpg

PICT2017.jpg

PICT2045.jpg

PICT2156.jpg

JoeVTS

it's a shame the 309 will probably never go this fast:

th_PICT1389.jpg

omega

it's a shame the 309 will probably never go this fast:

th_PICT1389.jpg

if it dosnt go faster id say

1= you have built it wrong

or

2=the brakes are on!!

1 you have built it wrong

MiniGibbo

What engines fitted in the above video :o

welshpug

V6 surely, due to the way it pulls past 130.

Edited by welshpug

JoeVTS

standard VTS engine. on 195/50s and there was a slightly downhill bit at around 130 but the rest is on the level.

MiniGibbo

when it gets to 125 i was like yeah thatll probably do 130 due to french dials over reading, then it got to 135 and i was like fair play must be a gti6 lump, then it got to 145 and i was like woahhh.... but off the speedo haha fair play that must of hair raising :D

dcc

Using a speedo is a bit of a lottery

Id guess that was around 135. (its a p2 xsara isnt it?)

a xsara box on my xu10j4rs with bodies wouldnt go much past 140, using satnav.

Even the v6 in the 205 took a while to pull to 155.

welshpug

using the limiter is more accurate :ph34r:

• Like 3

JoeVTS

Using a speedo is a bit of a lottery

Id guess that was around 135. (its a p2 xsara isnt it?)

a xsara box on my xu10j4rs with bodies wouldnt go much past 140, using satnav.

Even the v6 in the 205 took a while to pull to 155.

ph1 xsara, i reckon it's around 144mph, calculated from gear ratios etc and assuming the 7000rpm indicated was accurate. according to my calcs it would have hit the 7250rpm limiter at a true speed of 149mph but at 2.5 miles a minute i think it would have taken a lot of 'autobahn' and a decent tailwind to get there. on standard tyres i think the limiter comes in at about 154mph, but no chance of getting to that speed on a standard engine.

JoeVTS

here's the old pushrod beast:

PICT2331.jpg

and a few parts that won't be getting fitted:

PICT2399.jpg

JoeVTS

now for the questions, what wiring is in this conduit on the drivers side? is it a part of the old loom that i need to remove?

PICT2630.jpg

what is this octopus looking thing? do i remove that too?

PICT2629.jpg

and can anyone make sense of this lot? i don't know what needs to come out and what needs to stay in.

PICT2631.jpg

finally a pic of the bits i do understand:

PICT2633.jpg

sorry some of the pics are sideways, uploaded them straight from camera and PB is crap for editing.

welshpug

I spy xsara/306 hubs, you don't want to use those unless modified or you lose camber.

"octopus thing" is the original heater matrix pipes and expansion tank, remove those indeed.

the "stuff" looks to be ignition wiring, you can remove all the components there related to the ignition, I'm not sure ho your loom is routed, but looks like most of the wires you need to connect to for your gauges and switching wires will all be there.

the bits in the conduit running under the washer bottle certainly needs to stay as that's your lighting loom and main car positive feed.

JoeVTS

so i remove any wires that aren't connected to the headlights or the battery connectors? what about the earths?

the hubs are off a 309 GLDT, as is most of the running gear bar the VTS brakes and goodwood struts.

JoeVTS

what is the best way to work out which wires need to go to what? I don't think the Haynes manuals will be much use, especially since the xsara one doesn't even cover the VTS.

allye

Your best bet, and by far the easiest route would to to find someone breaking a 309 GTI and basically take all the engine bay and dash wiring from it.

welshpug

and do a search.

omega

nice project

sorry cant help with your questions but I wont say do a search as I find that so negative and unhelpful.

Edited by omega
  • Like 2

JoeVTS

nice project

sorry cant help with your questions but I wont say do a search as I find that so negative and unhelpful.

thanks, because as you probably know, not so many people have dropped a VTS lump into a base model 309. I have searched and found nothing relevant.

currently the missing link is the VTS loom, the engine is ph2 but I have a ph1 ECU, not sure if I have to do some tomfoolery to make the ph2 engine work with the ph1 electrickery but at the minute my concern is attaching the xsara engine loom to the 309 car loom. I can't see the advantage of having a GTI loom as the one in my 1.3 seems to have plenty enough redundant wires.

JoeVTS

got a loom. no idea what to do with it but never mind because I have a more pressing issue. my subframe won't go on because my non PAS steering column doesn't mate up with the PAS rack. if anyone is breaking a PAS 309 or a 205 if they use the same parts please let me know.

if I'd known it would be this much trouble I could just about put up with 3.8 turns lock to lock.

omega

so apart from the steering what have you been doing for 4 months?