Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Car_Restoration] 1.9 Restoration

77 replies to this topic

timoth123

timoth123
  • Drivers
  • 250 posts
  • Name:Tim McGivern
Garage View Garage

It'll never stay perfect if you plan on driving and it looks like the trim will cover most of your scratch anyway.

I'll definetly be driving it! Just only when it's sunny! And unfortunetly the trim didn't cover any of the scratch. That was the first thing I checked!

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
  • Name:justin
Garage View Garage
One word stunning seeing all these mint 205's going back together really got to pull my finger out with the dimma.

timoth123

timoth123
  • Drivers
  • 250 posts
Garage View Garage
Minor update here as I just seem to be getting to certain points and missing a small little bit.

Got my gear linkages hooked up and obviously couldn't resist selecting all the gears. Bugger...... Won't go in reverse. It just wouldn't pull back into gear.
I was adamant it was all working on the bench, how could it not be now???
Disconnected the selector rods and tried it by hand, still wouldn't go in. After a few hours of more and more swearing and getting more and more heavy handed. I grumpily called it a night and resided on pulling the box out in the morning and stripping it down again to see what was wrong.

Then lying in bed that night I had an apifiny, the reverse switch. It's the only thing that was new after testing it on the bench. I pulled it out tried to go for reverse. Boom!! Straight in! You f@£cker!

7F44E12B-4919-49A0-9B40-3D1753327C00_zps

As you can see, it's a lot longer and was stopping the selector from moving to select reverse.
Think the switch was £2.50, and it caused me to lose hours of time.
Oh well, glad I found it now

Also got my wheels from Tony at Gti Distinction. Damn they look good. I'm very impressed!

F7B0B283-5FAC-4A22-84EA-374A435AF623_zps

Bloody good deal for a set of 5 too!

Found an issue with one of the hub bearings too when I put the naff wheels on, the inner has separated from the outer. Can only assume it's from when I stropped the car for it to go to the bodyshop. :( new bearing on route.

Also was told yesterday by my trimmer that all the seats are finished!! :) can't wait to get them tomorrow!
Exciting times, now all I need is some time to put it all together!

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,241 posts

The longer switch is for an earlier (BE1) gearbox with lift up reverse by first gear as opposed to the late (BE3) 'box with reverse below fifth.

timoth123

timoth123
  • Drivers
  • 250 posts
Garage View Garage

The longer switch is for an earlier (BE1) gearbox with lift up reverse by first gear as opposed to the late (BE3) 'box with reverse below fifth.

Yup! I assumed they would be the same. Obviously not!!

ALEX

ALEX
  • Drivers
  • 2,728 posts
Garage View Garage
Something id do that!

timoth123

timoth123
  • Drivers
  • 250 posts
Garage View Garage
Little update.

Got most of the seats in, just waiting for a few spacers from Anthony to get the passenger seat in.
33c18044fbc2526f683cb4d8eff136f1_zpsaf15

Got the rear bumper and rear arch trims
64b089561b825a38cc953cbad2acdaf5_zps1ba2
64853ac6bd93437577cd94736fcd222b_zps90d5
93c3f7fd7654abea4f71e9c3e22e1a7c_zps7c7e

StArted on a job I've been avoiding! The engine ancillaries, it didn't last long, oil in and wanted to turn the engine over to check I'm getting oil to the head. Direct wire to the motor, just a click. Check the voltage all fine. Try 2 other batteries all the same. Stripped the motor cleaned it all, back together now turns but only just, it's knackered! Typical! Time to just give in and buy a new one.
Anyone any idea which slimline one fits?

ALEX

ALEX
  • Drivers
  • 2,728 posts
Garage View Garage
I've found that the solenoid click without the motor turning is down to the multi-plug from the ignition barrel to the loom found near the ecu near the drivers right knee.
By unplugging and plugging it back together usually fixes it.

if not make sure the earth wire bolted to the top of the gear box is clean or even connected.

timoth123

timoth123
  • Drivers
  • 250 posts
Garage View Garage
Bit of an update.

Turns out I was being an arse with the starter motor. I won't go into details buts it's working fine now!

After being sent away for a few weeks I managed to get on a fair bit.
The wheels and new tyres are fitted. Forgot to get a pic of them.
Pas seat and parcel shelf fitted. That's the interior finished now apart from rear windows. I'm waiting for some that aren't etched to be delivered.

Got on and got the brakes all bled and buttoned up!
978e1845ab859f1028a9e5d8bfe806c2_zps9b6b
5a4a12cd0928781e58dbc94b4d7e5484_zps9cf4
Dirty finger prints were cleaned off don't worry!

Then it was crunch time, I have been putting off working on the engine. Just too nervous incase it went bang.
ef6630e7b2bd43d887ff6b157849031a_zps44e5

I've ordered a replacement alloy oil cooler from spoox as this one is trashed. Their website said in stock but that's a lie. They are waiting on the manufacturer to make another one and can't tell me when he's going to even start it. That's British customer service for you :(

So for testing purposes mine will be cable tied up. Not ideal, but I needed to push on.

So with oil in, and plugs out and rocker cover off, I turned the engine over to make sure I'm getting oil out of the spray bar. Success, after filling the filter and I assume the oil cooler, it came pouring out! :)

Ok, then rocker cover on, plugs in. And see if it fires..... Turnin, turning, turning, nothing then bang. It back fired. If I wasn't feeling nervous enough as it was, now this. My heart was in my throat. Had a quick look around, couldn't see anything untoward. Checked the caps were pushed in, check. Check the leads position on the dizzy, WTF, how the hell have I done that??? Fitted them completely wrong. Swapped them round to what they should be, turn the key! IT LIVES,!!

I think I cried, laughed and passed out all at once!

So then carried on putting the cooling system on to run it for longer than 10 seconds.
3318b76551748c5878467bcd0708a874_zps006d

Ran her up again, a lot more confident this time. And with a vacuum hose attached that I missed off for the servo. She sounds pretty good. Bit of twist of the dizzy and she sounds ok. Idles around 1200.

Now, I know there's massive room for improvement on the setup. And I am no way up to speed with pugs to start attempting it, I want someone who knows what they are doing. Time to start looking!!

That's it for now. Mrs is away in Spain, you'd think prime opportunity to get on. Not according to her and the DIY list left for me!

timoth123

timoth123
  • Drivers
  • 250 posts
Garage View Garage
Bit of a minor update, but, a bloody big one in my head!!!

After completing a few niggly jobs that were annoying me like replacing the oil filler hose, slam to filter hose and a while host of other bits all thanks to farmer. (This car wouldn't be half of what it is if it wasn't for his help). New clutch cable, complete nut and bolt check of the drive chain, suspension and brakes.

There was no putting it off, I took it for a 3 mile test drive. Good god I was pooping my pants. 19 months ago I started this project and I was about to drive it properly for the first time. Damn it felt good!!!! :)

Left her outside to bask a little. I'm dying to clean her, but no point as the workshop I'm using to rebuild her is so dusty it would be dirty again in a day.

B0C6701A-1BF7-4217-859B-B8CE86D5142C_zps
D618ED5B-7F60-46D1-B067-0FBF19069EA7_zps
603C2F2B-42C2-4D5A-91CB-358138826FD8_zps
0B50370B-F749-4BAB-906B-DDAD05B92905_zps

Fitted the refurbished spoiler that Paul has done for me, (I owe you a few drinks there mate) what a difference it's made. Absolutely lovely!!!

I'm not overly happy with the wheels, the lacquer is peeling off in strips on the mating surface of the bolts and the center hub. So that will be another job to get redone in the future.

Still no sign of the new oil cooler too, had an email today though telling me it's been dispatched: so once that's fitted, can put the front end together properly and that's it done.
Clean.
MOT
Tax drive on road.

Them lay it up for the winter! :(

Edited by timoth123, 03 October 2014 - 05:42 PM.

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Cant wait to see her, and experience a bit of pant popping myself :lol: , looking really good.

timoth123

timoth123
  • Drivers
  • 250 posts
Garage View Garage
Well it's been ages since an update.

She went through her mot in December and then sat hiding inside for a while from the weather.
At the mot station after using the same road as a farmer :(
20443FBC-32B5-412D-9B32-0CC97712CC0C_zps

Then decided to get her professionally detailed, was over the moon with the results. Also highlighted a few things I wasn't happy about!!
DECD1F7C-B528-4B60-8AE7-6C5AC0DFE6A2_zps
18 months of dust and finger prints were hiding lovely paintwork.
E0560CEB-6B14-4900-9562-883902A32E72_zps

And I thought hat would be it, but things are never done.
I've been running the engine in and now its at 500 miles its revving lovely, haven't taken it passed 4500 yet but it just wants to keep going.
Our regular Shepard located a new AFM which absolutely transformed how the car runs. I thought it was good before. But this seems to have smoothed everything off, it idles lovely, off the throttle is the most improved, as well as holding a slow speed in town. Just lovely.

But now I really want to get it on a rolling road and get everything dialled in perfectly!

Couple of outstanding jobs, farmer found me some original carpet pieces for the boot wheel arches so need to get them cut up. But have no originals to copy.
Got a replacement top fuel hose from bbm as mine is just a generic bit of hose with two banjos jubileed at each end.
The fad fan is always on after a journey, I'm sure I got the right one from Mr auto but now I'm not so sure. Will have to pull it out and check!!

But, the biggest job I need to do now. And it makes me grrrrr just thinking about it.
I have to pull the gearbox out. The top fork arm bush has dropped inside the box. I noticed a while ago that one of the lugs had snapped but it seemed secure enough so left it. Now the form arm just flops around and has generated a little wobbling sound so I assume a thrust bearing is needed also. Just hope it hasn't done any other damage.
So they're next weekends jobs, then all will be right in the world ready for pugfest!

I hope!!!!!

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

Looking good mate... :)

I've got a template for the boot carpet I've emailed it to your googlemail account.

Edited by mrfirepro, 07 June 2015 - 12:38 PM.

farmer

farmer
  • Drivers+
  • 1,824 posts
  • Name:Farmer
Garage View Garage

Are they not ready to go on straight away from out the packet?

timoth123

timoth123
  • Drivers
  • 250 posts
Garage View Garage
Craig your right, already pre cut carpet pieces! Makes things easier!!

Got the gearbox sorted too! Replaced the fork arm bushes, what a pain in the backside that is leaving everything else in situ. Got it done though, but not before the engine slipped on the jack ripping the top engine mount, bugger. Teplaced it with a spare BBM one i had. They must be a hell of alot stiffer as the vibrations are alot more now!!!
Replacement standard unit fitted asap!!
After that just a few little jobs and its off to pugfest!! :)

Slo

Slo
  • Drivers
  • 2,149 posts
  • Name:Andy
Garage View Garage

If the mount tore it was turned to s*it anyway and would have caused problems like upwards bonnet dents later on

I fitted a baker solid bottom mount to mine and your right god the vibrations its day and night to the original

timoth123

timoth123
  • Drivers
  • 250 posts
Garage View Garage
So bit of an update. And to cut a long story short. Ive been an an odiot.

Basically diring the engine build phase, after searching for a new block as the original was too far corroded on the liner seats. I got the crankshaft caps mixed up from the original to new block. 750 miles later and a noisey bottom end i was left with this....

66130D2D-0971-45A0-9935-8D62C6C70D46_zps

So engine out and strip. And to add insult to injury, i scrapped the old corroded block with the caps for the good block!! Aaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!

Enter mrfirepro to the rescue with a decent block and matching caps. And over the last few months have rebuilt it and put it back in the car. Started it for the first time today. Just as nerve racking as the first time.

Learn from my lesson, dont get ya caps mixed up!!!

Also coming to a build thread near you soon......

387FB9DB-5CEC-4E82-969C-AD1DBAC9D125_zps
86CA2A0B-AA08-460E-AB21-8FD18DCF1BD5_zps

Edited by timoth123, 21 February 2016 - 09:00 PM.

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

Tim,

Looking good, keep the updates coming.

Glad the block worked out.

Reply to this topic