Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Heater Issues

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 1,004 posts
Garage View Garage
My heater on a 1.4 GR isn't working propearly so today I removed the thermostat thing thinking it might be stuck and wasn't letting hot coolant into the heater side. I've bled the system but it's still not producing any heat.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 1,004 posts
Garage View Garage
Here's a picture of the pipes to and from the heater. Having bled it all seem to get warm apart from the one on the left of the picture that heads into the bleed nipple. Can anybody enlighten me as to what is going on please?

Attached Files

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 1,004 posts
Garage View Garage
If I leave the heater on full heat but without the fan operating after about 1/2 hour you get the faintest whiff of warm air. I'm leaning towards the heater matrix is blocked ?!? But never had this issue before

toolie72

toolie72
  • Drivers
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage
Can only be an air lock or a blocked matrix-same as central heating in the house, probably radiated heat building up in matrix rather than hot water flowing through it

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 1,004 posts
Garage View Garage
It must be blocked because coolant is flowing freely at the bleed point. Damn!

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,788 posts
Easy to change and not expensive. Just fit a new one.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 1,004 posts
Garage View Garage

Are they still available?

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,788 posts
Yes pattern ones from all the usual suspects.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,089 posts
  • Name:Mei

check on ebay, there's often nissens or valeo on there very cheap, nissens ones are often stamped valeo too.

trogboy

trogboy
  • Drivers+
  • 529 posts

A bit late to the party, but you know the inlet and outlet to the matrix are on the engine side of the thermostat?  Taking the stat our will make the engine run cooler and the heater less effective as water will constantly be flowing through the radiator.

You can test for blockages by taking off the hoses from the thermostat housing and the back of the block and running pouring water though one from a hose or watering can etc.  

Ad 

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 1,004 posts
Garage View Garage
Cheers Ad. No I didn't know that! Well even with the radiator fans blowing so coolant up to a decent temp there's no warmth in the car. I guess the matrix must be blocked as there is hot coolant at the bleed and no amount of squeezing the pipes makes any difference.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,788 posts
Matrix swap is easy on a 205. Remove the tray that sits above your right knee. Then you can access the screws that attach the pipework, remove these have a bucket to catch any coolant. Then a couple of screws and out comes the matrix. Hoover all the leaves and crap out then refit.
One pointer, the new matrix will usually come with new solid pipes, my experience of these is that they are not formed properly and don't fit. Re use your old ones if you can, with the new seals supplied.

farmer

farmer
  • Drivers+
  • 1,824 posts
  • Name:Farmer
Garage View Garage

If you buy a valeo one from experiance and not cheap tatt the new pipes are good

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 1,004 posts
Garage View Garage

ok thanks guys- another job to add to the list!

Tom if u remove the matrix do you loose a lot of coolant?

trogboy

trogboy
  • Drivers+
  • 529 posts

I've always disconnected the hoses in the bay from the metal pipes through the bulkhead and tied them up out of the way. Then you just have to deal with the coolant in those hoses and the matrix when you disconnect them behind the dash.  You shouldn't loose too much if you are careful - be sure to keep the rubber hoses level and above the level of the expansion tank or the coolant will syphon out of the head and block.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 1,004 posts
Garage View Garage

ok will do

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 1,004 posts
Garage View Garage

Today I got round to changing the heater. One of the screws was rotten to the extent that no tool was ever going to get it undone so I cut through the pipes and removed them.

Now I have a issue- it turns out the pipes supplied in the kit are too short and actually bend the wrong way when in position.

Does anybody have a set of the matrix pipes please?

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 1,004 posts
Garage View Garage

Top pipe is the original and bottom is the replacement

Attached Files

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 1,004 posts
Garage View Garage
Replacement pipe supplied by Jackherer- cheers buddy. I now have heat!

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,241 posts

It was lucky the one you needed was the one usable part I had in my scrap bin, you saw the state of the other one or what was left of it!