Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Racing Fluids

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

DRTDVL

DRTDVL
  • Drivers
  • 282 posts
Garage View Garage
What is everyone using in terms of Engine oil and brake fuild in their racecars?

I'm just trying to figure out what i should run in the 205 mi16 racecar i've got...

unariciflocos

unariciflocos
  • Drivers+
  • 706 posts
  • Name:Andrei
Garage View Garage
I'm using Agip Racing 10w-60 Full Synthetic, good cheap oil, but then again mine is not a racecar.

DRTDVL

DRTDVL
  • Drivers
  • 282 posts
Garage View Garage
ya i'm looking for something that will take track/tarmac rally sort of abuse...

Cameron

Cameron
  • Banned
  • 5,076 posts
Using Wilwood race fluid from rally design at the mo, have used AP racing fluid too and both are good. As for oil I use Mobil 1 10W40 but have just got some Millers motorsport oil to try.

unariciflocos

unariciflocos
  • Drivers+
  • 706 posts
  • Name:Andrei
Garage View Garage
Well for any sort of abuse I'd go with Agip 10w60 Synth over Mobil 10w40 anytime. Castrol Edge 10w60 Synth would be another option but at double the price of the Agip.

DRTDVL

DRTDVL
  • Drivers
  • 282 posts
Garage View Garage
In the 306(road car) i'm currently running RBF600 brake fuild and total 10w40

But for the racecar i'm looking higher spec... was told to look at Motul 300V Competition 15W50 oil as it is a full Group-5 basestock synthetic (no idea)

Miles

Miles
  • Pitcrew+
  • 11,683 posts
  • Name:Miles
Garage View Garage
Nice subject this but going from experance abit on a 8v Race engine the best oil for that was the 76 Racing oils minerial Oil, Reason for this was it protected the engine well and unlike Agip and allot of other's all knocked the bucket's to hell after 2/3 race's, the 76 oil lasted a complete season without this happening, but the engine did have a very high lift cam in it

brumster

brumster
  • Pitcrew+
  • 1,381 posts
Garage View Garage
AP600 under the middle pedal; Mobil 1 0w40 under the right

DRTDVL

DRTDVL
  • Drivers
  • 282 posts
Garage View Garage

Nice subject this but going from experance abit on a 8v Race engine the best oil for that was the 76 Racing oils minerial Oil, Reason for this was it protected the engine well and unlike Agip and allot of other's all knocked the bucket's to hell after 2/3 race's, the 76 oil lasted a complete season without this happening, but the engine did have a very high lift cam in it

Ya couldn't find anything on this topic...

how would that compare to the motol?

engine killer

engine killer
  • Drivers+
  • 662 posts
have been running Ap dot5.1 and Millers full syn. 10w40 for quite some times already. they can both handle the very hot track condition in south east asia region.

JeffR

JeffR
  • Drivers+
  • 399 posts
I've got 8 litres of the Motul 15W 50 in the shed & as soon as the Mi is back together, I'll be trying it on the track.

It's bloody expensive 'tho. :rolleyes:

DRTDVL

DRTDVL
  • Drivers
  • 282 posts
Garage View Garage
from what i've seen it's about 100 odd NZD for 4ltrs of 300V CHRONO 10W40

devide by 3 for pounds roughly...

i'll have to see about the others...

projectpug

projectpug
  • Drivers
  • 591 posts
Always used halford motorsport oil change it every couple of track days. And AP racing brake fluid seems to work so will stick to what i know.

oli-pug

oli-pug
  • Drivers
  • 752 posts
  • Name:Olly
Garage View Garage

My boss has used 76 oils since he first started racing, we stock them at work now. Unfortunately, sunoco have discontinued their 76 mineral 10w40 which used to be great in my old tuned 8v lump. Instead, they now recommend the Joe Gibbs mineral 10w50 which i'll be trying out at my next track day. We've also got 76 mineral 20w50 which works well in the 1800 k-series and the rover v8s

309PUG

309PUG
  • Drivers
  • 445 posts
Garage View Garage
Hi I can't recommend Castrol SRF strongly enough for the middle pedal, aint cheap though about 40 / litre ouch !!

Chris

taylorspug

taylorspug
  • Veterans
  • 2,936 posts
  • Name:Dan

Hi I can't recommend Castrol SRF strongly enough for the middle pedal, aint cheap though about 40 / litre ouch !!

Chris

Seconded.

daveyboyblack

daveyboyblack
  • Drivers
  • 162 posts
Agreed on the Castrol SRF but it's just sooooo expensive!!

I'm using RBF600 and haven't had any problems so far. I think there's an RBF660 out now which is still cheaper than SRF?

oli-pug

oli-pug
  • Drivers
  • 752 posts
  • Name:Olly
Garage View Garage
Never tried the castrol srf but R600 is very good for the money, 22 per Ltr.

DRTDVL

DRTDVL
  • Drivers
  • 282 posts
Garage View Garage
Damm RBF is cheaper here! For once something is cheaper in NZ - hehehe...

I've found a turbo workshop selling RBF660 and RBF600 for $28 NZD per 500ml... (9.93861 GBP)

There has been alot of talk from some people i know say that i should stay away from semi and full synthetic engine oils as the pug engines weren't designed to run on it. The only thing i would be concerned about would be when the oil temp is up around the 110^C mark which i know it will get to on track.

Rams_gti6

Rams_gti6
  • Drivers
  • 275 posts
  • Name:James
Garage View Garage
Thread revival....any recommendations for oil for a track used only 16v?