Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Mi16 Head Onto A 1600 8v Engine? Can It Be Done?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Guest_teclis103_*

Guest_teclis103_*
  • Guests
ive got a 1.6 8v rally engine, thats done one season. was looking for a bit more power, but need to stay 1600, so was wondering if its possible to Retro Fit an Mi16 head and some twin webbers? 45's?
Only thing im unsure about is what timing belt, what exhaust manifold, and what about the top engine mount?

Anybody who has an Mi16 head/carbs/manifold and wants rid, im your man :wacko:

evo rich

evo rich
  • Passengers
  • 18 posts

ive got a 1.6 8v rally engine, thats done one season. was looking for a bit more power, but need to stay 1600, so was wondering if its possible to Retro Fit an Mi16 head and some twin webbers? 45's?
Only thing im unsure about is what timing belt, what exhaust manifold, and what about the top engine mount?

Anybody who has an Mi16 head/carbs/manifold and wants rid, im your man :wacko:

why don't you fit a 106/saxo 1.6 16v engine 125 bhp standard and with a good exhaust and air filter 140 bhp. cams and throttle bodies 180 bhp

Guest_teclis103_*

Guest_teclis103_*
  • Guests
cause my bottom end has had alot of work done to it. Race crank, sump baffle, shot peened rods etc. would like to keep that bottom end if possible

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,027 posts
  • Name:Mei
it has been done a few times, here's one engine build documented on here that I know of; http://forum.205gtid...s...t=0&start=0

you need custom pistons and a 1.9 MI16 block as the 16v mounting bracket doesn't fit the 8v engine properly, the rest of the bottom end can stay 1.6, you can't use the 8 valve mounting as its in the way of the timing belt and tensioners.

timing belt you'd use an Mi16 one, exhaust manifold you'd be best off using something from Maniflow or the like to get the best out of it.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
I don't recall and can't think off the top of my head exactly why, but I seem to remember to do this requires custom rods and/or pistons for some reason.

Guest_teclis103_*

Guest_teclis103_*
  • Guests
custom pistons doesnt sound very fun :/

miamichris

miamichris
  • Drivers
  • 781 posts

custom pistons doesnt sound very fun :/

Or cheap! :wacko:

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,027 posts
yep, as I mentioned, you need custom piston at the very least.

there's nothing off the shelf with 4 valve cutouts that'll give a particularly high compression ratio and fit the rods, what does fit the rods wont have any valve cutouts or a tall enough compression height, if I was looking at a race or rally build I'd start with something like an Mi16 piston template and have the design altered to suit.

decoc182

decoc182
  • Drivers
  • 84 posts
Could you not use xu7jp4 pistons?

harryskid

harryskid
  • Drivers+
  • 1,855 posts
Sorry to jump in did the 106 conversion refer to the head or engine change?.
Harryskid :unsure:

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,027 posts

Could you not use xu7jp4 pistons?

no, they do fit the condrods (infact they use the same conrod, same partr number and all) but due to using the same height block and a longer stroke crank they are much shorter in their compression height.

Sorry to jump in did the 106 conversion refer to the head or engine change?.
Harryskid :unsure:

complete engine, as far as I know the TU5J4 weighs about the same if not more than an alloy 1.6 XU, and if you take them to a reasonable power level (or even standard 1.6 16v) you will need to convert to a BE gearbox as the MA will not last long at all for rallying.

stick to the XU engine and you can use pretty much a stock BE gearbox.

Kev-G

Kev-G
  • Drivers
  • 738 posts
Mi pistons would fit the bore + have the necessary cut-outs....Use custom rods to get to the right compression.

Or custom pistons to fit the 1.6 rods.

Best overall to buy a complete Mi engine with a knocking crank (should be an easy find!!)

Cameron

Cameron
  • Banned
  • 5,076 posts
Is it possible to fit 1.6 internals to an Mi16 engine? I.e. fit the crank, pistons, rods, liners etc?

Baz

Baz
  • Drivers.
  • 10,300 posts
  • Name:באז
Yes, but you'd still face the same issues...

Edited by Baz, 16 January 2010 - 10:45 PM.

Cameron

Cameron
  • Banned
  • 5,076 posts
What issues? Aren't the blocks the same height?

Baz

Baz
  • Drivers.
  • 10,300 posts
  • Name:באז
Yes, but the internals are essentially the same in 8v's (ie. piston to rod fixing, rod to crank etc) so you'll have the same issues if you were doing it either way, regardless of a 1.9 or a 1.6, Mi block or an 8v block... Not that you can easily use an 8v block anyway due to the mounting issues.

Essentially yes then, you can use the rods and crank, but still need to do something with the pistons!

But that's not the point, the OP wants to keep his existig bottom end too!

black lad

black lad
  • Drivers
  • 30 posts

it has been done a few times, here's one engine build documented on here that I know of; http://forum.205gtid...s...t=0&start=0

you need custom pistons and a 1.9 MI16 block as the 16v mounting bracket doesn't fit the 8v engine properly, the rest of the bottom end can stay 1.6, you can't use the 8 valve mounting as its in the way of the timing belt and tensioners.

timing belt you'd use an Mi16 one, exhaust manifold you'd be best off using something from Maniflow or the like to get the best out of it.

i have seen "renault 17" Mi conversion racing, and its quick but you have to ring the neck out of it, seems the power band is all at the top end of the rev range? its a nice car and has changed hands since, and recently was for up for sale again

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,027 posts
I did wonder as I hadnt heard anything about it since then, there was a short video of it on his Bebo page.

I think its a characteristic of any higher powered 1.6 that most of the power is at the top of the rev range, depends a lot what cams and to a point what the intake and exhaust setup works like.

alync406

alync406
  • Drivers
  • 247 posts
  • Name:Anthony
I was talking to the lad who bought it there last Snday.Looking forward to seeing it out. :D

24seven

24seven
  • Drivers
  • 2,151 posts
  • Name:Guy
Any links to current/working videos of this thing? I bet it sounds fantastic!