Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What Gearbox For +400Hp Xu10 Turbo Applications?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

wicked

wicked
  • Drivers+
  • 612 posts
Garage View Garage
Note that the ML/ME boxes are very heavy!

With 550bhp it would consider oil cooling as well...
Gearbox oil is often just mineral oil and you can expect a lot of transmission losses in gearbox (powerwise) that heat the oil.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,028 posts
  • Name:Mei
I know the V6 ML is around 50 kilos, I doubt an XU pattern one will be much different, though the 14 kilo penalty over a BE for a stronger box is worth it.

Jakob

Jakob
  • Drivers
  • 168 posts
Yes, the that a 6speed box shoudl heavier than the BE3 5speed. I am looking into the ML5 5speed

Would asume a ML5 5speed would be arround 5-10 kg more due to the bigger diff, interias ..

[L'e$kro]

[L'e$kro]
  • Drivers
  • 108 posts
Both Ml5 and Me5 have been fitted to XU engines successfully
There is a conversion kit for the ME5 gearbox sold in France. It has a new stainless steel battery mount in 2 pieces, the rear fork mount that goes on the torque engine mount, and also some custom linkages.
There are still a lot of modifications involved, like shortening the driveshafts, possibly making a bit of clearance for the bell-housing in the subframe, shortening the clutch cable and modifying the arm etc..
I didn't do this myself yet, just considering it if the Be gearbox gives up.
Nico

Jakob

Jakob
  • Drivers
  • 168 posts

' timestamp='1344591329' post='1272757']
Both Ml5 and Me5 have been fitted to XU engines successfully
There is a conversion kit for the ME5 gearbox sold in France. It has a new stainless steel battery mount in 2 pieces, the rear fork mount that goes on the torque engine mount, and also some custom linkages.
There are still a lot of modifications involved, like shortening the driveshafts, possibly making a bit of clearance for the bell-housing in the subframe, shortening the clutch cable and modifying the arm etc..
I didn't do this myself yet, just considering it if the Be gearbox gives up.
Nico

That sounds just great - Can you point me to the company selling the kit?? a link possible. That would be much appriciated, tanks :-)
Jakob

[L'e$kro]

[L'e$kro]
  • Drivers
  • 108 posts

That sounds just great - Can you point me to the company selling the kit?? a link possible. That would be much appriciated, tanks :-)
Jakob

You have a PM.
Nico

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Another good thing about at least the ME box (apart from beeing stronger) is that the synchronizers are of a bit different design, so the gearshift feels much better on the ME box vs. BE.

Some T16 has problems with melting the 5'th gear when going top speed on Autobahn, so overfilling a bit with oil is recommended at least on the T16.
In addition I think external oil cooler is necessary for long term reability in high power applications.

adman

adman
  • Passengers
  • 28 posts
  • Name:Adam

Does anyone know if the ME conversion kit mentioned above is still available? If so where from?

Will be starting a little project very soon and very concerned the BE box wont take the torque involved.

Cheers Adam 

Slo

Slo
  • Drivers
  • 2,149 posts
  • Name:Andy
Garage View Garage

I have an me5t gearbox, actually i have 2 from my 605 svti (xu10j2te). It's huge.

adman

adman
  • Passengers
  • 28 posts
  • Name:Adam

Could be interested in 1 in the near future if you are interested in selling.

Slo

Slo
  • Drivers
  • 2,149 posts
  • Name:Andy
Garage View Garage

No worries.