Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Titanium Valves

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

RalliArt

RalliArt
  • Drivers
  • 58 posts
Hey guys, did some search but didn't get any results here, what do you think of titanium valves, have you seen anybody producing those kind of valves.

crossflow

crossflow
  • Passengers
  • 27 posts
  • Name:Rob
Titanium valves are very good due to been very light weight, downside is there about £190 a valve and will only last one season circuit racing. I can get them made no problem

RalliArt

RalliArt
  • Drivers
  • 58 posts
Can you describe the producing technology, i mean not throwing any secrets though but mainly how are they made.

wracing

wracing
  • Drivers
  • 608 posts
  • Name:James Williams
I have heard of some people using motorbike valves and shortening them and re-machining the bit for the collets

Thanks

James

SurGie

SurGie
  • Drivers
  • 3,048 posts
  • Name:George
Titanium alloy can only be made once, it cant be re-melted then reproduce parts from it. Its a very expensive alloy, very light and strong. The process using many different expensive metals is expensive, cant you use some quality uprated valves used for turbos etc ?

F1 cars use them or similar expensive metals AFAIK.

MiniGibbo

MiniGibbo
  • Drivers+
  • 1,511 posts
  • Name:Matt
Pug1off made a 205 which iirc has a titanium valve and spring set.. iirc its the one that made 300hp or something insane na.

rallyeash

rallyeash
  • Drivers
  • 1,535 posts
  • Name:Ashley Stevens
Or didn't make anywhere near 300 just inflated RR figures....

MiniGibbo

MiniGibbo
  • Drivers+
  • 1,511 posts
  • Name:Matt
Went pretty well regardless of actual horse power haha

luke1987

luke1987
  • Drivers+
  • 128 posts
  • Name:Luke
Few places on ebay selling exhaust valves for subarus and evos made from inconel, Price doesnt seem to bad either if i remember inconel takes quite a lot of heat perfect for turbo/supercharging if thats what your planning.

petert

petert
  • Pitcrew
  • 5,584 posts
  • Name:Peter Taylor
Race valve blanks are 21/4N which are normally tuffrided after turning to size. This is fine for turbo exhaust valves.

Matts205gti-6

Matts205gti-6
  • Drivers
  • 35 posts
  • Name:Matthew
Rallyeash sorry to disappoint you but that engine your talking about did make those figures would you really do a standing quarter in 12.6 @ 117mph?? A l

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,028 posts
  • Name:Mei
yawn, if it was that good it would be quicker, a mere 200 bhp in a 106 will do pretty close to that...

The main issue with Titanium is that it wears out machine tools very quickly, and that it is not that stiff compared to most steels, though it is far lighter.

and of course you have material costs, all those added together is probably why most engine builders either use standard steel or stainless blanks.

Edited by welshpug, 09 October 2012 - 08:39 PM.

Matts205gti-6

Matts205gti-6
  • Drivers
  • 35 posts
Yawn do me a favour you have no idea you think a naturally aspirated 106 will go quicker than that we have won Santa pod several times. A few engine builders on here were up Santa pod in August and were claiming there gti-6 engine were this and that yet they were running 13's we have done a 12.4 end of no one in a 2ltr gti-6 naturally aspirated has done that. If the rolling road is wrong then I don't know that but 12.4 is fast with terminals of 117mph is impressive .

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,028 posts
I did not say a 106 would be quicker.

Please stop sending me abusive messages.

Edited by welshpug, 09 October 2012 - 09:09 PM.

Matts205gti-6

Matts205gti-6
  • Drivers
  • 35 posts
They are not abusive just do not like people writing things that are not true I don't critise anyone else's car so I don't expect it to be written about mine that is all.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,028 posts

They are not abusive

really?

you are a complete prick!

Edited by welshpug, 09 October 2012 - 09:23 PM.

Matts205gti-6

Matts205gti-6
  • Drivers
  • 35 posts
Seriously have you got nothing better to do

allye

allye
  • Pitcrew+
  • 3,716 posts
  • Name:Ali Williams
Garage View Garage
Posted Image

Edited by allye, 09 October 2012 - 09:29 PM.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,028 posts
:lol:

To the o.p, Are you looking to use Ti valves or are just interested in what the benefits are to the use of that material?

I did a brief bit of googling, and found one price for an off the shelf Ti valve for a big block engine, $120 each :o (o.e XU10J4RS valve is roughly £10 in the aftermarket but o.e manufacturer -TRW, which is $16!)

The material PeterT mentioned is a Stainless steel with higher Nickel content than most so copes with heat better.

crossflow

crossflow
  • Passengers
  • 27 posts
  • Name:Rob
As I said from the very start titanium valves are very good but come at a price and very limited mileage due to stretching and the valve heads falling off.
You really only find them in big budget engines or factory backed engines.
Your better off having steel valves in your engine to be honest.
Me too would like to see the GTI6 engine named above on an engine dyno not a rolling road.