Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Titanium Valves

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

TT205

TT205
  • Pitcrew+
  • 1,594 posts
  • Name:Dave
F*cking gearbox :lol:

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
Ha ha, been there done that, it is unbelievably frustrating when you know that elusive time is in the car, but you can't quite get it all just right.

Anyone know what 60ft times the top boys are pulling? I've done a 1.67 which felt bloody awesome.

Matts205gti-6

Matts205gti-6
  • Drivers
  • 35 posts
  • Name:Matthew
1.8 the best I've managed 60ft

DanteICE

DanteICE
  • Drivers
  • 416 posts
On the topic of titanium valves, I'd say that pure titanium would be off the cards due to the poor frictional qualities of titanium. That is, unless you know the secret that the formula 1 boys use to have almost pure titanium gears for the gearbox. I don't know what titanium alloy you'd need to use though tbh.

Geoff

MiniGibbo

MiniGibbo
  • Drivers+
  • 1,511 posts
  • Name:Matt
One none of us could afford..?

DanteICE

DanteICE
  • Drivers
  • 416 posts
Well I can't say much because I really shouldn't know about it but in reality it's amazingly simple. I'd guess with a bit research you could find out how they do it.

DanteICE

DanteICE
  • Drivers
  • 416 posts
F**k it.

http://www.patentgen...nt/6210807.html

For anyone who cares. It basically is a method of adding oxygen to titanium which "shown that the coefficient of friction of commercially pure titanium markedly decreases when it is heated in air at 350.degree. C. for 17 hours"

Boom! Simple...ish.

MiniGibbo

MiniGibbo
  • Drivers+
  • 1,511 posts
  • Name:Matt
Interesting stuff.

calvinhorse

calvinhorse
  • Drivers+
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Calvin

The main issue with Titanium is that it wears out machine tools very quickly, and that it is not that stiff compared to most steels, though it is far lighter.

It doesn't wear tools out quicker than steal especially stainless and certainly not inconel

SurGie

SurGie
  • Drivers
  • 3,048 posts
  • Name:George
Its the refining side of things with titanium, men in white coats and the use of magnesium sp is where the costs come from. It has to be heated to a very high temp then compressed or tempered type of process to make it what it is.

B11 BOB

B11 BOB
  • Drivers
  • 107 posts
  • Name:Bob

Are't some ppl always say rr figures irrelevant ? If some one can do a better time with a Gti 6 then let's see it I say. And yes there are loads of variables , but ppl comment or slate so let's see Wat they can do ?
As for titanium valves I agree just get some steel upradted ones but Wat do I know ha ha

I agree with you Dave certain people if and when it suits slate anyone thats got decent rr figures and say it's not about headline rolling road figures.It's all about how the cars performance etc well in that case you got to give credit where credit is due Pug1off has the best time for a 205 Peugeot so far in a 1/4 mile 11.2 no supercharged or any other so called pug tuners has come anywhere near him so far.Regards naturally aspirated 205 his tuned engine has set the best time for that to.The facts speak for themself unless anyone can beat his time then don't slate him or his work so far no one has beaten his times.
Just my opinion on the matter don't want to get into a debate about it sorry in advance if I may have upset anyone with my comments
Regards titanium valves I would recommend steel ones a chap called Paul Ivy does them.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,028 posts
  • Name:Mei

Pug1off has the best time for a 205 Peugeot so far in a 1/4 mile 11.2 no supercharged or any other so called pug tuners has come anywhere near him so far.

Oh no they don't.

Constella 205 pulling 10.8

Matts205gti-6

Matts205gti-6
  • Drivers
  • 35 posts
That has an evo engine? Gti-6 turbo and n/a still the fastest Fact

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,028 posts
so?

Matts205gti-6

Matts205gti-6
  • Drivers
  • 35 posts
You said we are not the quickest When we are so there's nothing you can say to change that

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,028 posts
you said they have the quickest 205, plainly they don't.

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts
  • Name:Barnaby Worthington-Titwank III
This topic has gone from
Vague and possibly pointless
to
controversial
to
mildly interesting
back to
controversial
and is now
utterly pointless

Unless anything valuable is going to be added with regards to titanium vales, and why the OP was even asking the question in the first place, is there actually any value in this topic remaining open?

Matts205gti-6

Matts205gti-6
  • Drivers
  • 35 posts
Quickest gti-6 engine then .

Matts205gti-6

Matts205gti-6
  • Drivers
  • 35 posts

B11 BOB

B11 BOB
  • Drivers
  • 107 posts
  • Name:Bob

Don't bother with him Matt some people just don't have anything better to do.Fact is you have a nice 205 which has done a very quick1/4 mile time you time speaks for itself you don't even need to respond to it.It's odd that people like to slate another person's car when their cars not as quick has the persons they slating but boys will be boys I guess and fast cars are big boys toys