Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Xu10j4r-xu10j4rs Differences

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

whizzer71

whizzer71
  • Drivers
  • 680 posts
Ive just gat my hands on one of these engines,over and above 6 manifolds and a pair of cams what else can I do (Basic stuff/mods) to wring more power out of it ?,If I fit RS cams would it be worth getting them ground first ? (Live close to Kent + Piper cams)

:D

Edited by whizzer71, 14 January 2009 - 12:39 PM.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,028 posts
  • Name:Mei
different pistons to allow for more lift.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,028 posts
  • Name:Mei
dug out some info I remember seeing in the Haynes manual, the earlier 3 bolt camshaft pulleys used on the R, RS and 7JP4 are marked on the rear of the hub with a single digit.

J4R has the inlet numbered 3, the exhaust numbered 4, the RS engine uses 2x No4's.

the 7JP4 engine is numbered 1 on the inlet, 2 on the exhaust.

the pulley itself is the same, though I'm unsure if the same numbering exists on the later single bolt pulleys, they do all share the same arrangement again.

nick9one1

nick9one1
  • Drivers
  • 175 posts
I have somehow only just noticed this thread! I have an xu10j4r engine that has now been running since xmas eve in the 205. I picked it up for 140 including the gearbox. It seems very quick, and a great improvement over the 1.9 even though it is rated as only 5bhp more. I also have an rs head I picked up for 30 that I was planning on swapping in. I haven't quite decided if I am going to swap the whole head or just the cams yet. (as swapping the head requires more work). after that there is just the manifolds and ecu to do.

for anyone thinking of using the xu10j4r one less thing to worry about is that the exhaust manifold doesn't reed re-angling as it just bolts on!

doesn't the r have a lower compression ratio too?

Edited by nick9one1, 17 January 2009 - 11:52 PM.

amin

amin
  • Passengers
  • 19 posts
  • Name:amin

Hey

Dose anybody knows about differences between cranks, bearings and iron blocks of tow xu10j4rs and xu10j4r engines?and can i replace these parts from one to another?

petert

petert
  • Pitcrew
  • 5,584 posts
  • Name:Peter Taylor
All the NA XU10 petrol cranks are identical. I'm unsure if R and RS blocks have oil squirters.

Sandy

Sandy
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,308 posts

RS blocks have spray bars, post 98 R blocks haven't.

amin

amin
  • Passengers
  • 19 posts

thank you, then if I have GTI-6 engine, can I replace any part of its block including pistons, shatuns and bearings from xu10j4?

Sandy

Sandy
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,308 posts

I wouldn't put old pistons in different old bores, but in principal yes.

amin

amin
  • Passengers
  • 19 posts

I wouldn't put old pistons in different old bores, but in principal yes.

Thank you, yes I Know, but we have new parts for xu10j4 engine in Iran and I want buy an stoke GTI-6 engine for my peugeot 205, and I want to know if my engine had any problem can I fix it or not. But apparently I can handle it.