• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NOsMAN

Additives To Cure Valve Stem Seals?

NOsMAN

My 1.9 cabriolet will need its stem seals replacing(blue smoke very slightly on start up) , but someone mentioned to me that there is a temporary cure using additives . Has any body used it the past ? What brands do you recommend? Does it work? Did notice that well known branded stuff were about £7 and cheapy ones about £4.

Pugnut

stem seals cost pennies and you dont even need to take the head off to change them.

i found THIS GUIDE after a quick google , its a vw with hydraulic lifters so apart from that difference the rest of the guide is pretty much relavent.

cant say i know anyone whos tried to use addative but i'm pretty sure it won't be as good as actually replacing them!

NOsMAN

Its just a temporary fix until i can afford to have it done properley. Everyone i spoke to said its easier to remove the head to replace them. Dont know anybody who has replaced them with the head on.

saveloy

Additives are pants. They can be replaced with the head on. Storm Autos did mine. Always fit genuine Peugeot seals. Use a decent oil and replace it frequently and you'll be fine.

nick

I'm doing mine this weekend with the head on.

I tried some additive and it made no difference whatsoever.

Nick

GLPoomobile

Likewise, I tried Wynns stop smoke and some thicker viscocity (SP?) oil and it made no dfference. My seals were virtually non existant though, so no idea how an additive would fare if your seals have only just recently started to leak a little.

steve@cornwall
Its just a temporary fix until i can afford to have it done properley. Everyone i spoke to said its easier to remove the head to replace them. Dont know anybody who has replaced them with the head on.

Veero has done them with the head on- he sent me a very imformative guide, too

NOsMAN

Do you still have the guide? Can you send us a copy of it?

cheers

jim205GTI

I'd second Veero's guide.. very good .... even i understood it :D

Gibbo GTI

Hi, wouldn't mind a copy of the guide if thats ok.

jim21070
Hi, wouldn't mind a copy of the guide if thats ok.

Me too!

Is there any chance it can be posted up on here..

steve@cornwall
Me too!

Is there any chance it can be posted up on here..

I think it's been submitted for posting in the articles section--Mods?

lagonda

Took the V12 abroad many years ago when oil was hugely expensive over there. 1500 mile round trip meant

I'd need to take 20 gallons with me (yes it was doing around 80mpg on oil, probably actually more expensive than the 4mpg on petrol). Only had room for 4 gallons. Put Redex oil treatment in & ended up using just 3 gallons, so was well impressed.

Should think that would sort yopu out at least short term.

Sign in to follow this