• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

[trackday_prep] Paul's Gti6

Paul_13

Hi all this is my first thread on here, I've got a Silver 1.6 GTI which had a 1.9 8v engine in it. Soon to be a GTI6 engine on a 1.6 box :mellow:

I've done quite a few mods such as 309 running gear, big brakes and MC, roll cage, Spax suspension, seats etc...

The reason I took the engine out is because i thought the headgasket had gone, once stripped there didnt seem to be any damage. You can still see all the honing marks in the liners.

I did replace my fuel pump recently which fixed the nonstarting and cutting-out when cornering problems.

The AFM was also dodgy and combined with a sh*t earth caused the running problems.

I recently stripped out the engine and in the process of cleaning everything up here's a few pics:

p1010191.th.jpg

p1010189e.th.jpg

p1010195.th.jpg

p1010198j.th.jpg

p1010200.th.jpg

p1010193b.th.jpg

New MC and brake lines

p1010184f.th.jpg

Look at the size of 'em!

p1010185f.th.jpg

Battery in boot

p1010183a.th.jpg

Edited by paul_xiii

Paul_13

Does any one know what the black sphere is for?

p1010203.th.jpg

Theres a circuit board attached to it on the inside

platty

Hmm, looks like an infrared receiver for central locking to me.

Baz

It is! :mellow:

Paul_13

hmmm...... wonder who's lost the blipper.

Should be alright taking it out? I remember that my last one didn't have it.

Baz- cheers for the door colour's pretty much a perfect match, we had a bit of fun grinding off the rust on the bottom.

I was on the way back Saturday and there was a Sierra Cossie RS500 that had just been sandwhiched by two lorries, owner was by the side of the road booing his eyes out... rightly so

Edited by paul_xiii

Paul_13

Did a bit more work at the weekend, mainly stripped the dash out and gave a few things a clean.

Few piccies

dsc00207p.th.jpg

dsc00208.th.jpg

Small bits of rust here and there, could be worse.

Engine this weekend hopefully :lol:

Any body a clue of my problem?:

I'm getting a GTI6 engine and using the 1.6 box. I want to put a diesel/1.9 16v crank in.

Now would any machining be needed for the rods to clear the pistons? I thought the extra travel of the crank may cause some problems. (I've done a few searches)

I'd probably be better putting this in XU engine category...

Paul_13

Working till 4am on the car the other day sorting things out.

Ordered loads of new bits; quick rack, various bushes, fuel pump and engine coming next weekend ;)

Few piccy's

Stripped the dash out and ripped off the sound deadening (weighs a ton!)

p1010214t.th.jpg

Removed the sunroof and sliders under the intention of fitting a blanking plate

p1010210j.th.jpg

Dropped the subframe out and gave it a clean, going to paint a few bits first

p1010213x.th.jpg

Where i'm going to place my ecu... for the moment

p1010211p.th.jpg

Do I need to cut this lip out to be able to fit the manifold from the GTI-6?

p1010212.th.jpg

And dash back in

p1010215w.th.jpg

Loads of new bits coming tomorrow :lol: cant wait

Paul_13

New bits through today! :)

p1010216.th.jpg

Quick rack and a few other bits still to come through

Paul_13

Bit of prep work ready for some filler. Bonnet had about 3 layers of paint!

p1010221.th.jpg

Paul_13

Got my engine last weekend!

About to replace timing belt kit and figuring how the f*cking loom goes on.

p1010226ego.th.jpg

Exhaust off ready to be re-angled

p1010227u.th.jpg

What goes in this hole? Bit stumped...

Its on the back of the intake near the throttle body

p1010228zde.th.jpg

welshpug

looks like where the idle valve goes, hard so say without seeing more of the surrounding area to give an indication of where it is.

Paul_13

Slowly things are coming together, just a few bit needed now.

Also lesson learnt with not wearing a mask when welding! F*cking painful sun burn when i woke up in the morning :ph34r:

There's a few plugs that i have no idea what they are for, i'm missing the crank sensor but have one on the way.

Sorry for the amount of pics but any help would be brilliant!

1. Start of with an easy one (hopefully)

p1010230.th.jpg

2. Just need the name of the sensor as i need a new one

p1010241v.th.jpg

3. I believe one of these is for the fuel reset switch, whats the other one for?

p1010240e.th.jpg

4. What are the white plugs for? I guess ones the crank sensor

p1010237d.th.jpg

Welshpug- looks like the part of the oil breather setup when i looked at my mates gti6

Edited by paul_xiii

Rob Turbo

My moneys with welshpug, I was playing with a gti6 inlet manifold last week and the only thing I can remember bolting on near the throttle body is the idle valve, it will have a pipe going from the valve to the inlet pipe just before the throttle body.

I haven't wired a gti6 engine before, and haven't even seen a gti6 loom in the flesh (so to speak, seen one in the copper maybe more fitting??) so can't help with the plugs, but #2 looks like an oil level sensor, I can't see it being used in a 205 so I wouldn't worry about it.

Paul_13

Cheers Rob Turbo, i'll get of these ordered then. Does any one have a part number?

Do you know where the hose goes after the ICV? (taking into account the intake hose already mentioned)

I'm a bit stuck to where the breather pipes go!

Thanks

taylorspug

The hose for the ICV goes from the inlet pipe before the throttle body into the ICV, and thats it. The ICV is attached to the manifold so breathes through there.

As for the electrical plugs, i cant view the images as my computer doesnt like imageshack, but from the thumbnails:

1- Cant even see a thumbnail.

2- Oil level sensor. You wont need it so just chop the wiring off and leave it in, or find a suitable blanking plug.

3- Brown plug looks like its for the carbon cannister, in which case you wont need it. Other one does look very fuel switch-ish.

4- If one of those is a three pin sheilded cable then it will be for the crank sensor. The other one if its three pin could be the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). An ECU pinout diagram and a multimeter would tell you what all of these are in about 2 mins for sure. I certainly wouldnt just start chopping without belling everything through with a meter first.

Paul_13

Thanks for the tips taylorspug, picture number 1 did display when i first posted it then dissapeared...

It paired with the oil sensor thats on the sump, its the longer one of the two I was after.

What would the VSS sensor connect to or is this obselete with the 205?

rubyna

You will need a vss sensor off an s16,Citroen zx16v and a few other models used the same-1,its a 3pin but with the speedo

cable hole on top next to it. I only know as i had trouble getting hold of-1 for my conversion...

Paul_13

Do you have a pic of it by any chance Rubyna? I'm a bit confused to where it's located.

I'm using a 1.6 box will this still be needed?

rubyna

yes 1.6 or 1.9 box, i havnt got a pic of it. What are you confused to where its located, the actuall

vss on the s-16 etc?

Paul_13

The actual VSS sensor, only sensors I know of on the box are the reverse light, crank sensor and thats about it ;)

Paul_13

Update: Done a bit of work yesterday, mainly put the rack back together with the quaife quickrack components and had a clear up. Mate's getting a bit pee'd off with my 3 engines, bonnet and door lying around which is bound for the scrappy.

Forgot how much of a PITA the gaitors were to get back on!

Everything in place. Couldn't believe how many turns lock to lock this thing is. I'm gonna have arms like the hulk trying to park!

p1010009cpr.th.jpg

New wheels bit dirty though, tires only done about 300miles and for £300 quid for the lot. Bargain!

Sitting like a 4x4 with no engine in.

p1010003web.th.jpg

My old oil cooler union, snapped off due to me not using a spanner on the bottom half.

Its the type with the cone on the inside not the outside, does any one have a oil cooler rad spare?

p1010007o.th.jpg

• Like 1

taylorspug

The VSS goes where the speedo cable locates, speedo cable plugs in the top, electrical connection on the base. :rolleyes:

Paul_13

Is it a white plug (3pin) on the loom which plugs into the VSS?

I've sourced one off Baz, was a bit clearer when I saw it.

Also any pictures of your E30? One of my favourite cars apart from the Pug

Edited by paul_xiii

mattbenselin

I presume the VSS unit is found on the 306 (most others too?) and fits the standard GTI box as that is what is being used for this build? I have cruise control kit and it needs either a VSS signal or uses an oldskool magnet on the driveshaft and coil pickup for speed signal.

Cheers

Paul_13

Matt- The VSS sensor is found on the 306, Xsara VTS and BX16V I'm pretty sure. probably a few other models aswell.

Wouldn't mind cruise control on my Dturbo for my journeys to Leeds!

You bolt the VSS on to the gearbox and the speedo cable goes into that. I'll PM you a pic