• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

[trackday_prep] Paul's Gti6

djinuk

looking at your mc clerance paul that exactly how mine was when reangled and etc on standard mounts, i think i will get away with cutting a few bits off to allow for the room

Paul_13

Sorry Miles didnt mean to offend or anything, was a bit confused about Rubturbo's post as I had only just woken up.

Cheers djinuk- was going to have a bit of fun with the angle grinder :rolleyes:

Hopefully my ICV mount comes tomorrow so I can start it. Can it be started up with the ICV attached but not in the hole (if it doesnt turn up)?

And

What wires go into the sender as I've bought a loom off Spiky and I don't think the plugs have been added due to it being a 6'ish Loom.

gti-si

You will get it :rolleyes:. But just incase, you can just block the hole of and give it a little gas and it will start and run. What sender and loomare you talking about? The oil pressure sender and rev counter loom? These are both unrelated

Spiky

you will 100% have a low pressure plug (std oe plug)

i normally if not requested, run a black thin wire to the oil pressure sender area for when they want to run a oil pressure gauge

check that i have done this, if not (as i cant remember) you'll need to run a cable to the brown looms inside the car

gti-si

Ahhh did you do the whole loom Spiky? Makes sense now

Spiky

he has a 205/306 gti6 loom :rolleyes:

gti-si

It's alrite for some ey?

B*stard :rolleyes:

Edited by gti-si

Paul_13

:rolleyes: Best thing i've bought for the car that loom lol

Is the oil pressure switch the one with the reaaaallllyyyy long sensor that goes down into the sump.

In other words can I take the plug off ^ and use the 205 sender unit with that plug?

Spiky

lol cheers

put the ignition on earth it out :rolleyes: that will tell you :(

Paul_13

Cool, which dial is the oil pressure light on the dials top left? I always forget this, shame they're not labelled on the English versions

Spiky

will be a red light at the bottom left of the gauge

Paul_13

... on the top left dial? lol :rolleyes:

Spiky

that coffee is kicking in i see :rolleyes: ..lol

yeah :(

Paul_13

Lol yeah it is mate only been awake a few hours, got work tonight aswell till 3am... :rolleyes:

Paul_13

Got everything back together today, had a right job of trying to get the exhaust flange to clear the bulkhead even with the lip cutout. (out came the hammer ;))

After a bit of filing and re-angling the MC the engine is in :ph34r:

enginee.th.jpg

Clearance is a bit better than shown in the pic now for some reason, now the car is on the floor??

clearance.th.jpg

With everthing back together I turned the key and the starter motor stuck on 1 notch to early, thats not a problem as i've bodged up a switched live for the time being. Also did not hear the pump prime before starting.

After rectifying that problem it still wouldn't start, i've checked:

Fuel lines are correct way round

Connected a positive live to the fuel pump and cranked (still nothing)

The plug for the fuel relay seemed to have dissapeared (either behind the dash or it was located with the engine loom, which has now been changed)

New spark plugs

Everything on the loom is plugged in

Petrol in the tank

Any thoughts?

Help would be much appreciated, losing my rag with it at the moment

taylorspug

Take the double relay off and check what pins you have a permanent and switched live to. If you arent even getting the pump priming its either a problem with the lives or the wire to the pump itself. Although if you have hardwired the pump and it still wont start, that sort of rules out the pump wiring. Must be something basic, pump even primes with a locked ECU, so to be getting nothing you are missing something fundamental!

Also worth checking for corrosion on the double relay connector, ive had it a couple of times now where an engine has refused to start, then magically sprung into life when ive given the relay a technical wiggle.

Whats the problem with the starter motor? It comes on with the second click of the key? If so thats a switched live its attached to, maybe its the switched live that is meant to power the loom up?

Edited by taylorspug

Paul_13

I'll double check the relay tomorrow.

Spiky labelled one of the ring connectors on the loom as a constant live (starter live), the other smaller ring I guessed as being the remote for the starter solenoid. But when I connect this is acts as a constant live.

Bit confused really, but cheers for the reply

Edited by paul_xiii

taylorspug

Theres usually the big ring that attaches to the alternator that does all the permanent lives. The switched live will either be done via the small plug in the engine bay behind the passenger headlight or more likely at the multiplug under the dash. It sounds to me like the connections arent in the right pins on the multiplug end if you are getting a switched live to the starter.

Paul_13

There's a big ring going to the starter which does the lives AFAIK

There's also a small ring going to the alternator aswell, will this be a remote?

taylorspug

Ok it sounds like the big ring is just connected to the starter instead of the alternator to power up the loom. It is connected to the bigger of the two connections on the starter isnt it? The small ring on the alternator is going to the smaller 8mm socket sized stud yes? This will be for the alternator light so nothing to do with power. Im guessing slightly here obviously as im not looking at it.

I still dont think you have a switched live, for the starter to come on one notch too early that must be using the switched live that should be powering the loom.

Paul_13

Does it matter if it's connected to the starter instead of the alternator, as it all touching the same power cable (ish).

And yes it is connected to what i think is the bigger of the two on the starter, it's a Dturbo starter (smaller of the two and it only has 3 connections: 2 are equal size, 1 is spade connector for remote. 1 connector goes to the body of the starter, 1 accept the live cable)

The alternator is the 8mm ring for the light.

I understand what your saying about the switched being mixed up with the constant, if only Spiky was still awake hopefully he could recall exactly how he wired up the loom :ph34r:

I'm really hoping i'll get it started tomorrow, i've got to go and pick up an engine off Anthony for my mate who got scammed from Hifailheads

taylorspug

It wont matter no, as you say its on the same cable. Ask Spiky, its his loom at the end of the day. But my guess is you will need to swap around 2 pins in the multiplug, the one for the switched live, and the one for the starter solenoid. :ph34r:

Paul_13

Okey dokey cheers for the advice :ph34r:

Spiky

ok,

paul my loom (205 part) is made to the same as my car was,

i have noticed other 205 looms are slightly different, and by the look of it yours is different

but it's an easy fix as you can just move the pins to suit the loom

what you should do is disconnect the two looms get a multimetre and do a few test

the thick red wire on my loom is switched live and the thick blue is starter,

on your car loom, find the corisponding wires and test them :D

Spiky

does sound like the two are reveresed, which means the lambda and pin 14 of the ecu wont be getting a live until notch 3