• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allanallen

[trackday_prep] 309 Track Car

Tom Fenton

Aim for the 25th of March and join me and Phil at Cadwell Park for the PSOOC trackday? We're taking the white Mi 205.

allanallen
Looking good Al, what prompted you to crack on with it then, I thought you had abandoned progress on it?

you did :)

I just can't afford to build my 306 to how I want it at the minute and I really want to get to some trackdays this year. plus I couldn't sell the sodding thing, the best offer I got was £400 for the lot!!

allanallen
Aim for the 25th of March and join me and Phil at Cadwell Park for the PSOOC trackday? We're taking the white Mi 205.

I'll get back in the garage then!

If you speak to mr withers could you remind him about the you know what :)

Tom Fenton

No probs, has he still got the nudge nudge wink wink shhhhhhhh in his possession then?

allanallen
No probs, has he still got the nudge nudge wink wink shhhhhhhh in his possession then?

yeah i've not heard anything from him, just that picture you texted me.

allanallen

bit of an update <_< I've not really being cracking on as fast as I hoped due to faffing about with stuff for other people, Plus I keep making/finding other bits I want to do.

few little jobs;

I picked up some rally design top mounts of ebay for 30 notes :unsure: THen I turned up some stainless top hats and spacers to fit them to me Gaz golds

post-7633-1266937238_thumb.jpg

I've made up a little blanker for the throttle body heater and cam cover breather re-circ pipe thing

post-7633-1266937382_thumb.jpg

I've removed all the indicator and coweling mounts off the steering coloumn. My brother has also donated the splined half of a steering wheel boss so once ive got the seat exactly where I want it I can turn up an adaptor of the required length. post-7633-1266937494_thumb.jpg

allanallen

He also bought me a nice ears omp copy wheel for christmas.........Thanks cal <_<

post-7633-1266938024_thumb.jpg

I've done a pikey style rear brake re-furb. I managed to make 3 good calipers out of 6 knackered, didn't have to put my hand in my pocket once :unsure: hers my pair

post-7633-1266938094_thumb.jpg

Then super calvin got the carriers blasted and coated for me

post-7633-1266938666_thumb.jpg

allanallen

cleaned up the brake servo for the stiffening plate (what a ball ache)

post-7633-1266938902_thumb.jpg

then welded the plate in

post-7633-1266938985_thumb.jpg

I had my yocal powder coaters blast the front subframe

post-7633-1266939087_thumb.jpg

Tom Fenton

I like the adaptors for Gaz to Compbrake top mounts, fancy making some for me!?

allanallen

Then seam welded it, I think I'll take it back for coating aswell, they quoted me £20 to do it so buy the time i've faffed about buying paint etc it'll probably work out costing similar plus my oh so valuble time :unsure:

post-7633-1266940396_thumb.jpg

This problem has been bugging me for a while, Theres a battery box sunk into the boot floor which is all good

post-7633-1266940421_thumb.jpg

......but, its in the position of the standard rear silencer so to use it you need a centre run exhaust. That in turn means you can't really run the standard fuel tank <_< The easiest option would be to plate over the battery and use a standard exhaust and tank, I didn't really fancy this though. I looked at having a small ally tank made but it seems very expensive and it looked a real PITA to do it myself. Cutting the standard tank and having it Plastic welded up seems a simple option but I couldn't find anyone to do it for a sensible price.

So the only cost effective way seemed to be to junk the standard tank and fit a fuel cell in the car, I'm not over happy with the tank being in the car for various reasons but i've managed to sort a set-up that keeps all the pipeing (bar the filler) out of the cabin.

Heres a naff picture of the drawing i've sent to a guy whos making the tank up

post-7633-1266940351_thumb.jpg

It will have sump which sits under the floor with the feed and return pipes, the filler will be piped to the standard filler hole on the car and it has a small -6 breather/roll over valve on top. It'll also be internally baffled so I should'nt have any surge issues even when running with bugger all fuel. I've also managed to incorporate the standard gauge sender, I turned up a mounting ring with 6 threaded holes which will be mounted on top of the tank. I then made up another ring with a recessed bit which fits over the sender and a new rubber gasket to seal it all up.

allanallen
I like the adaptors for Gaz to Compbrake top mounts, fancy making some for me!?

Anything for you mate :unsure: give me a buzz when you've got time

heres the top ring

post-7633-1266941325_thumb.jpg

The tank will use an external walbro pump I managed to pick up cheaply. The sump will fit under the passenger side rear seat and the pump will sit next to it, the pipeing will the go back into the car- down the passenger side of the car- through the bulkhead to the fuel rail. I'm also thinking of flipping the fuel rail round so the pipes don't have to go all the way across the engine bay (what did i say about making more work for myself <_< )

Next job was to try and get a nice spot for the tank to sit. I really like the way davenports done his 106 as it keeps the tank nice and low, but it seems a hell fo a lot of work. I think i've cut a happy medium by getting rid of the rear seat 'hump'. I realise its raising the cars centre of gravity but the tank will be lighter than a standard one and I won't have to run round with half a tank+ of fuel to prevent surge, I'm happy with how its looking anyway.

heres the hole

post-7633-1266942086_thumb.jpg

I'm also bracing the exhaust tunnel to the cage. I'll hopefully get all this finished next weekend and the tanks due to be done sometime next week.

this weeks project is to finish making the brakets up for these

post-7633-1266942296_thumb.jpg

Another ebay bargain :D hi-spec R114s with stainless pistons. I'm using 206 266x22mm discs and they seem to fit quite nicely behind 106 rallye steel......which is nice, although I think i'll be running 15s.

cheers, allan

edbar

Nice to see you getting on with it, will be great when its finished. What engine are you going for?

Cloverleaf

Looks good. Some top work there.

Are you going to have master cylinder to engine clearance issues now you've put the strengthening plate in the engine bay side?! :(

I like the sunken battery tray idea actually, maybe I'll do that.

How are you going to tie the cage into the transmission tunnel? You doing diagonals from the b-pillar to the tunnel?

allanallen
Looks good. Some top work there.

Are you going to have master cylinder to engine clearance issues now you've put the strengthening plate in the engine bay side?! :(

I like the sunken battery tray idea actually, maybe I'll do that.

How are you going to tie the cage into the transmission tunnel? You doing diagonals from the b-pillar to the tunnel?

Cheers for the comments fellow 309ers :-)

Shouldn't have any clearance issues as i'll be using a pedal/bias box.

I was going to just brace the tunnel to the bar that goes across the bottom of the B pillars. I thought this should add sufficient strength to it, although please tell me if this is a bad idea? I could easily add two diagonals in like the custom cages has I guess?!

Edbar, the engine is 2 Gti6.

Cheers, al

Cloverleaf

Bias pedal box will help, should be OK, be tight though!

The way I see the tunnel brace is this....if you have a side impact the impact is more than likely going to be mid/top of the door, which if you just have a bar across the bottom of the b-pillar like yours won't be as effective as you'll still just have the b-pillar in bending. The custom cages design essentially transfers a large part of that force into compression of the diagonals.

allanallen
Bias pedal box will help, should be OK, be tight though!

The way I see the tunnel brace is this....if you have a side impact the impact is more than likely going to be mid/top of the door, which if you just have a bar across the bottom of the b-pillar like yours won't be as effective as you'll still just have the b-pillar in bending. The custom cages design essentially transfers a large part of that force into compression of the diagonals.

Gottcha, that makes alot of sense. However I was thinking of bracing the tunnel to the bar purely to put some strength back into the floor rather than for more/side protection though. I rekon the ruddy gurte hole i've cut in the floor will have weakened it a bit.

As standard the tunnel has a little strengthening piece between it and the seat hump, I've cut this out though so I thought i'd better do something about it. cheers, al

allanallen

Quick update on this for anyone whos interested,

The rear floor is just about finished but matty has been without a car for a few weeks so hes not been able to get up.

post-7633-1269440824_thumb.jpg

post-7633-1269440840_thumb.jpg

Just needs the side bits finishing off. We had to grind the rear most weld flatt for the tank to sit on.

allanallen

Only other thing i remembered to take pictures of was my engine mount and alternator set-up

heres the butchered mount, i've removed the PAS pump bracket as i'll be running an electric pump.

Hmmm, I cant load anymore pictures up for some reason. to be continued...............

Edited by allanallen

allanallen

update at last :lol:

Tank arrived a while back and its beautiful

post-7633-1273580318_thumb.jpg

post-7633-1273580334_thumb.jpg

So I popped a hole out and she fits a treat

post-7633-1273580354_thumb.jpg

post-7633-1273580366_thumb.jpg

allanallen

made up a tensioner bracket so i can run with just the alternator

post-7633-1273580650_thumb.jpg

post-7633-1273580624_thumb.jpg

Tom Fenton donated a 1600 box and after several houres cleaning it looks a treat

post-7633-1273580700_thumb.jpg

new diff bearings on the gripper diff

post-7633-1273580718_thumb.jpg

allanallen

Modded the dff housing

post-7633-1273580985_thumb.jpg

Staighted out a 306 type selector as thats all I had

post-7633-1273581006_thumb.jpg

Drilled and dressed it to the same size as a 205 selector

post-7633-1273581024_thumb.jpg

Finished mounting my 4 pots using a 266 x 22mm 206 gti disk. I'm reasonably happy with them, they're not the fancyest looking things but I had to make them on an old manual machine. They quiet happily fit behind 106 rallye steels too......which is nice

post-7633-1273581055_thumb.jpg

allanallen

post-7633-1273581437_thumb.jpg

post-7633-1273581450_thumb.jpg

Mr Fenton shortened me 2 gti6 arbs, ! for my 205 and one for the 309

post-7633-1273581467_thumb.jpg

made up some bronze bushes and sleeves for the pivot and the gear stick

post-7633-1273581484_thumb.jpg

allanallen

Then the paint monkey paid a visit :lol:

post-7633-1273581658_thumb.jpg

All rubbed down ready

post-7633-1273581674_thumb.jpg

Biggy laying 2pac to rest

post-7633-1273581696_thumb.jpg

Paint monkey and john admirring there work B)

post-7633-1273581714_thumb.jpg

allanallen

First coat onpost-7633-1273581940_thumb.jpg

post-7633-1273581963_thumb.jpg

Job jobbed

post-7633-1273581977_thumb.jpg

post-7633-1273581989_thumb.jpg

We've just got a few obvious runs to sort out tonight and couple of spots we couldn't get at with big gun. We've got a handy little air brush to have a go with which should make things easier.

More to follow as i've run out of time on the computer B)

chippy

looking very nice! :)