• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allanallen

[trackday_prep] 309 Track Car

M@tt

nice work!

give paint monkey a banana!

Cloverleaf

Some top work there. Wish I had some of your facilities!!

allanallen
Some top work there. Wish I had some of your facilities!!

Facilities :lol: My garage is a cow shed with sloped floors!!

cheers for comments chaps.

I rubbed down a few big runs last night then Cal brought his air brush up to touch them up. It worked really well to be honest and you can't see the blends. I did however have problems with wiping the paint in the areas I needed to touch up, It kept eating into the paint and making a right mess. I ended up rubbing it back with scotch brite then wiping it with a clean dry cloth. This worked for most of it but unfortunatley the paint reacted in a couple of small areas and bubbled up :D You can only spot them when you're looking for them though so i'll leave it at that. I'm sick of painting and rubbing down now!

I'm currently sat waiting for some rust convertor to go off on the underside of the car so I can get some primer on before I go to work at 5. I'll get in for 7am tomorow morning, catch a few ZZZs then get some stone chip and top coat on the underside before going back to work........Living the dream ay :D:D

No pictures of todays work, but i'm basicallt just painting the underside of where the new tank sits and the new seat rails. I'm not doing it all as I just haven't got the time, plus I think if I do much more painting i'll lose interest all together.

allan

edbar

Good work Allan, going to be a real animal im sure. Got to do the bodywork on mine this summer although i wont be going as far as you have just a quick blow over.

allanallen

Its finished!!! thought i'd post up a few photos now the cars done (for now). Its first outing was at cadwell in march and then we trecked down to castle coombe a couple of weeks ago. Its ace :wub: I love it.

heres a link to some pictures ive just gathered up, ive got some better ones of the finished car somewhere that ill post up sometime.

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/allanallen/309/

cheers, allan

Miles

How could you stick Gaz's on her!!!

Other than that looks good :)

allanallen

thought i'd add a cheeky picture taken while we were at the ring in september

RIN2.jpg

al

Edited by allanallen

edbar

Love that car! Miss my 309 :(

rallyeash

looks good mate :)

allanallen

Cheers chaps!

Me and my brother had a day at donnington in it last Saturday, the car was faultless again and we had an amazing day. Love the circuit, Craner curves flat out....simply awesome feeling.

Faultless was a bit of a lie actually, we got black flagged on the sighting laps for noise!! It was 98.8db drive by and the limit was 98.

The induction noise is really loud for some reason, it's quite a small foam pipercross filter on the standard gti6 plastic pipe so nothing unusual.

I managed to Bodge a bit of an air box/shroud around the filter which seemed to do the trick, zip ties and empty pop bottles to the rescue!!

Hopefully sorting a bit more power out for next year, I'll try and keep the topic updated for anyone that's interested.

Cheers, al

mochyndu

Looking good mate (Ive always had a soft spot for a 309) :D

Miles

Good to see the old Girl back in use, Mind you need to man up on the ARB, 24's are for whimps, She always had a 30 in her with me :D

allanallen

Nah it's on 25 tbs and 28 arb, the 24mm arb never even made it on the car. I decided against it after running a 24 on my road car.

Al

allanallen

I've just loaded some pictures off my phone onto photobucket and found a couple of the last bits I did on the 309 :)

Just before the ring trip in September I got round to fitting my bridgecraft rear arms

photo-7.jpg

And the front hubs that we do

photo-1.jpg

photo-6.jpg

The front hubs are modded like the pts hubs, mine have been machined for an extra 3 degrees of negative camber. Then the TRE holes were bored out to accept a sleeve fitting top hat to help correct the steering arm angle.

I'm also working on some bottom ball joint extenders, Martins done them in the past but we've altered them a bit and have yet to test them.

So she's currently running -3 degrees camber on the rear and -3.5 degrees camber on the front with a bit of extra caster. The grip is superb, it uses the tyres so much better. I reckon its doubled the tyre life I was getting!

Ive got a few ideas for some fresh top mounts to get a bit more caster/camber on which should improve things further. I may have to have a bit of a re-think though as I'm considering changing to 17" wheels but I'm a bit torn at the minute.

Cheers, al

rallyeash

did you do them or buy them? if so where or how much?

Miles

I guess the original hub's like you had had gone then? they where on the car when I sold it to Chris

allanallen

did you do them or buy them? if so where or how much?

I work for bridgecraft engineering so all the stuff on my motor is either made by myself or a colleague.

Prices for the neg camber stuff is;

Rear arms £175

Hubs to your spec £140

TRE spacers + hub bored to suit £40

The prices are for machining parts you supply not exchange.

Miles, I just bought a pretty much bare she'll off Chris so non of your old gear was on it unfortunately. I remember him having your beam still but I couldn't afford it at the time :(

oli-pug

All looks good! Do you have any tyre to strut clearance issues with the sleeved hubs?

allanallen

All looks good! Do you have any tyre to strut clearance issues with the sleeved hubs?

I'm running 2.5" coilovers and -3 deg on the hubs and it clears the strut with 195/50/15 on standard 1900 rims,it's pretty close though. You'd obviously have more room with standard sized struts but you may need shorter springs if your on coilovers.

Al

EdCherry

Need the bearings out the front hubs to machine the top sleeve?

allanallen

Need the bearings out the front hubs to machine the top sleeve?

They're usually machined with the bearing removed although I can't say I've ever looked at doing them with the bearing in-situ. Something to look into definitely.

I'll start up a seperate thread sometime this week about the neg camber parts as there seems to be a few people interested.

Cheers, al

EdCherry

Yes please Al. This is CRF's company is it not?

Whats the lead time on a set of rear arms and front hubs? Don't particularly want to spend a week setting up the mill to do my own, or remove my brand new bearings lol!

allanallen

It is indeed CRFs company. I think we usually turn stuff around within a fortnight but it will vary depending on what weve got on so don't take that as gospel!

I've got a loose hub with a bearing in at home so I'll see if it's going to be practical to machine it in one piece.

Al

EdCherry

I dont think its going to be practical honestly.

It depends how your holding it, upright with a jig or clamping the bearing face down on the bed and adjusting the tool angle?

Baz

Lovely work Al, very, very nice indeed!! :D

• Like 1