• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

swordfish210

[trackday_prep] My 205 Xt Trackcar Project

Lan

nice mani, where did you get that from?

miamichris

Swordfish, when I rebuilt the head on my xs the plastic spacers had broke into pieces on mine too! :o

I bought new ones from peugeot, they must have been replaced by a new part because the new ones are a metal cylinder spacer. Anyway, I had to buy a bag of 6 or something so I have some left over and can post you 2 for a couple of quid if you want mate? :)

swordfish210
nice mani, where did you get that from?

There was a group buy on here a few years back. It's a CSC Marmite item from Italy, not sure of you can get them anymore.

swordfish210
Swordfish, when I rebuilt the head on my xs the plastic spacers had broke into pieces on mine too! :o

I bought new ones from peugeot, they must have been replaced by a new part because the new ones are a metal cylinder spacer. Anyway, I had to buy a bag of 6 or something so I have some left over and can post you 2 for a couple of quid if you want mate? :)

That would be brilliant if you could, PM me with some paymet details and i'll get it sorted (can't do paypal though)

swordfish210

Got a phone call from Zebedee Engineering today that my head and liners were ready.

They had to take 4thou off of the head to get it flat again so i'm glad i had it done now. The liners however needed allmost no cutting at all as they were allready nice and round.

Honed liners:

DSC002502.jpg

DSC00251.jpg

Skimmed head:

DSC00252.jpg

I'll give them all a clean with some of Barry Scotts finest when i can get them back to Uni.

miamichris

PM sent mate.

Interesting little project this, i'll keep an eye on it :o

EdCherry

Looks good mark, need to get liners on the wire wheel at college to clean that crap off them :o That VHT paint is good stuff just done bens exhaust and it looks so much better!

swordfish210
PM sent mate.

Interesting little project this, i'll keep an eye on it :o

Thanks mate, i am trying :D

Looks good mark, need to get liners on the wire wheel at college to clean that crap off them :) That VHT paint is good stuff just done bens exhaust and it looks so much better!

Will do :D:D

EdCherry

Just realised the summer school is in next week tuesday-thursday but andy said he couldn't see any reason why we couldn't be in, plus were testing thursday and they are watching dave or something so the workshop should be empty.

swordfish210
plus were testing thursday and they are watching dave or something so the workshop should be empty.

mmmmmmmmm empty workshop :o

swordfish210

Yesterday i took my cylinder head to Sandy Brown so he could have a look at the porting job that had been done previously. He said it was fairly good but the inlets needed a touchup as there was a ridge in them, so i left it with him to do that and to cut some 3-angle valve seats in it. I had a bit of time in Uni today so i got a few more things done on the engine. I started off by fitting the alloy pulley set i picked up from Colin Satchell yesterday. The pulleys are desinged to reduce some of the rotational mass and to gear down the alternator a bit so it draws less power from the engine. Since i dont have a heated screen, a stereo etc etc etc, the loss of charge to the battery wont be a problem.

Heres the kit (belt not pictured)

DSC00257.jpg

and here it is in comparison to the old pulley:

DSC00258.jpg

I fitted then on (very nice fit btw :) ) and i put the crank assembly in the boot of my car ready to go off to the balancers. I then got my liners out and gave them a clean. They had a lot of surface corrosion on them so i gave them a wash in the washtan and then ground it all off with the wire wheel

Before and after:

DSC00259.jpg

DSC00260-1.jpg

They all came up pretty nice in the end and it should improve the heat transfer quite a bit :D I then put them in the block for safe keeping:

DSC00261-1.jpg

I then stripped the old rings and bearings off of my new pistons/rods and gave them a clean in the wash tank with some scotch pad. I also picked up my sump and rocker cover from the powder coaters today:

DSC00262.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

Much nicer than they were and a pretty good finish on them as well.

Lan

looks good coming along nicely, and taliban open fire rofl

swordfish210
and taliban open fire rofl

Purely unintentional :)

I got some new boots for the driveshafts today so i decided to swap them over. The driveshafts have been on the car for about 15,000 miles now and they're doing pretty well however the boots were quite cracked and hard and wouldnt have lasted much longer.

I started with these:

DSC00264.jpg

and i stripped the old boot cups off and pressed the shaft out of the bearing carrier:

DSC00265.jpg

I then gave the shafts a good clean in the washtank to get all of the old grease off so i could check it for wear. To my surprise there was no visable wear at all, just some heat markings. I then dried them off and filled them with grease to fit the new boots:

DSC00266.jpg

DSC002672.jpg

I then hammered the bearing carrier back on with a dead blow mallet and a 1" socket, greased it up and put the new boot and cup on. Heres the finished result:

DSC00268.jpg

I was going to give them a lick of paint but i didnt have time, plus it probably would have only lasted 1 week before it all flaked off.

EdCherry
taliban open fire rofl

Was reading that article actually was quite interesting...

Looks good mark, hope you put those hammers back in the racebox though were missing s*it loads of tools that im going to have to sort AM :)

swordfish210
Looks good mark, hope you put those hammers back in the racebox though were missing s*it loads of tools that im going to have to sort AM :P

I didnt take them out of the racebox :)

EdCherry
I didnt take them out of the racebox :P

That soft hammer you did as thats the only one! :)

Anyway see you tomorrow! Sun dance time!

• Like 1

swordfish210
That soft hammer you did as thats the only one! :)

Theres about 6 of those 2lb dead blow mallets in the stores which is where i got that one from so :D:P Maybe if you opened you eyes once in a while :P

swordfish210

No work updates, just a thank you note. If you skip back a few pages then you'll see that one of the rocker spacers had broken due to it being a cheap assed bit of plastic. Well to help me sort this miamichris offered to donate me 2 new (the updated type which are aluminum tubes) rocker cover spacers for free :):(

Got them in the post today and the gesture of kindness is most appriciated chris.

DSC00269.jpg

miamichris

:(:) No problem mate, glad I could help. Was going to ask if you got them alright!

Any chance of some details on the throttle bodies? What they're from, where's the manifold from, is there much work in getting them running right etc.? Do you just take the carb and inlet off and bolt them on? Looks like something i'd like to do on the xs sometime! :(

swordfish210

They're R6 carbs (don't buy R6 ones though as they're wank, try to find some Mikomi GSXR items) with a 40mm choke. The manifold is a custom made one from Bogg Brothers, which cost circa £160. To get them running pretty well i had to drill out the jets from 150 to 200 size (2.00mm) and i fitted some adjustable needles to balance out the fuelling. If you skip back to the fist post theres a link to my build thread over on Talk-Torque.com, skip to page 19 on there and read on a bit and theres some more info on adjusting the carbs on there.

yorkshirekowboy

now mate, very impressed with the work thou i have a favour, could you give me the part numbers for the amk boots you are using as i need some for my 1.6 shafts, as im wanting to replace all the boots on both shafts, so if you could tell me how many i would need etc

thanks

danny

swordfish210

You'll need 4 boots, 2 of them with the tin cups (you can buy them without the cups and it's a bit cheaper but if you damage a cup whilst removing it you're stuck) I'll try and find the part numbers later but if i can't i'll go to the motorfactors and get them to find out for me.

swordfish210
now mate, very impressed with the work thou i have a favour, could you give me the part numbers for the amk boots you are using as i need some for my 1.6 shafts, as im wanting to replace all the boots on both shafts, so if you could tell me how many i would need etc

thanks

danny

You need;

2x TSB6

2x TSB166

Hope that helps

yorkshirekowboy
You need;

2x TSB6

2x TSB166

Hope that helps

good lad mate thanks :)

swordfish210

I've hardly done any work on the car this week but i did find time to do one of my least favorite jobs....setting Dzeus clips :D

DSC002732.jpg

Thats the front pannel secured in with Dzeus clips so it's much easier to remove now, plus it looks better :huh:

I might be getting some more work done on the engine next week if i can get in to Uni, i need to make up some liner clamps and start measuring for liner protrusion.

Edited by swordfish210