• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

swordfish210

[trackday_prep] My 205 Xt Trackcar Project

robi1000
They're R6 carbs (don't buy R6 ones though as they're wank, try to find some Mikomi GSXR items) with a 40mm choke. The manifold is a custom made one from Bogg Brothers, which cost circa £160. To get them running pretty well i had to drill out the jets from 150 to 200 size (2.00mm) and i fitted some adjustable needles to balance out the fuelling. If you skip back to the fist post theres a link to my build thread over on Talk-Torque.com, skip to page 19 on there and read on a bit and theres some more info on adjusting the carbs on there.

Your carbs are 40's? Mine are off R6 and are Keihin CVRD37 carbs. And yes, they are crap. I'm still unable to set them up correctly. F*****! :rolleyes:

Nice progress btw! It's always a joy reading your project topics (I've read the talk-torque one)! Keep up the good work!

Edited by robi1000

swordfish210

I read your post, i'm not too sure what to say really. Without seeing the carbs myself it's hard for me to offer you anymore advice than i have allready given. I feel for you having so many problems when mine were an allmost straight swap. I'll find out for you as soon as i can how many turns i used on the main jet at the base of the carbs.

robi1000

Well, I've given up on trying to set them up by feel. A friend of mine will lend me a wideband lambda and I see how it'll go from there. But if you find the time I'd appriciate those settings.

swordfish210

Not much of an update at all really but i picked up my gearbox from Miles the other night, fresh from a rebuild. It's now an AX GTI gearbox with all new bearings, seals and a Tran-X Plate Diff for some grip :):angry::D

DSC00284-1.jpg

Bout all you can see of the diff:

DSC00285-1.jpg

Should have some more engine related updates pretty soon.

swordfish210
very swish, coming along nicely then

Thanks, i just need to find some time to work on the engine. I have been doing some bits on the car but none of it is worth writing about.

swordfish210

I shook off my lazyness today and wheeled the car out of the garage to do work on it. I started by removing the doors in preperation for lightening them and i marked out where i'm going to cut them. I then removed the bootlid (bashing myself on the head in the process B) ) and marked out on that where i'm going to cut. The car looks a bit weird now:

DSC002942.jpg

DSC002952.jpg

DSC002962.jpg

and so is my garage :wink: :

DSC002972.jpg

Once i had the doors off i removed some unessacary door wiring:

DSC00293-1.jpg

I need to take the dash out though to get to the rest of it. I then tried to plumb in some pipe for the brake ducts :x :x Unfourtanatly the brake ducts seem to have been desinged by an idiot and it is allmost impossible to tighten a clip on to them because the pipe is funneled so as soon as you start to clamp the jubeliee clip it just slips off :x :x Not happy with them at all. To top it off though this happened while i was at it:

DSC002982.jpg

Mental note "fingernail + flat bladed screwdriver dont mix"

More updates soon.

swordfish210

Did a bit of work today, not much to show for it though. First i picked up my crank from Basset Down Balancing this morning and the guy said that the clutch plate was the worst one he's ever seen :D:D:D Still it's all better now though.

I then went to uni and made up some liner clamps on the lathe. Take one big block of steel:

DSC002992.jpg

A few hours one the lathe, one trip to McDonalds, some M10x50 bolts and some washers and hey presto...Liner clamps :D :

DSC003002.jpg

Just gotta put the seals in now and clamp them down to check the clearances. I also borrowed Ed's grinder today so i'm going to do a bit of lightening tomorrow :D

welshpug

you check the clearances without the seals Mark :D

swordfish210
you check the clearances without the seals Mark :D

Good point......scrap that last comment :D

swordfish210

Today it was time to cut some weight of the fat git :blush: I borrowed Ed's grinder and he gave me two 1mm cutting discs that, as the saying goes, were like a knife through butter on the french grade steel. Unfourtanatly the discs wore down quite fast and i only managed to do one door and the boot, i'll get some more discs soon and finish the other door off.

I started with the drivers door by covering up the window with an old towel to stop the plastic melting :ph34r: .

DSC003012.jpg

And about ten minutes later i had cut the inner out of the door and i used a heat gun to melt away this weird piece of tar glued to the door skin :? I then cleaned the door up and was left with this:

DSC00302-1.jpg

I then refitted it to the car and fitted the release mechanisim and the door puller:

DSC00303.jpg

Same procedure with the boot really and i ended up with this:

DSC00304.jpg

Refitted it and the best part is now it can be held up with just one boot strut to reduce a bit more weight :ph34r: :

DSC00306.jpg

DSC00305.jpg

I then moved on to the brake vents. I abandoned the idea of using the old brake vents and bought some cheepo ones from Merlin Motorsport. I marked out where i can cut the front pannel for clearance and then i removed front bumper and valance:

DSC00308.jpg

I then cleaned the surrounding aera of the brake vents (WD-40 and wire wool to get the dead bugs and paint transfer off :ph34r: ) and drilled and rivveted them on.

DSC00309.jpg

Not sure about you guys but i actually think they look better with them on than the old vents. Just need to get some new cutting discs now to finish what i started. Thanks for reading.

mmt

Hi-

Great project...inspired me to do some weight loss.

Which ducts is it you´ve bought at Merlin?

Do you have any pics of the ducting hoses...how do you run them to the brakes?

Thanks

Keep the pics comming.

swordfish210
Hi-

Great project...inspired me to do some weight loss.

Which ducts is it you´ve bought at Merlin?

Do you have any pics of the ducting hoses...how do you run them to the brakes?

Thanks

Keep the pics comming.

Thanks mate, the ducts i bought are the dummy uncut ones, as they're the biggest. I havent run the ducting yet but when i do there will be pictures :blush:

EdCherry

The discs were from Screwfix if you wanted the same ones, get a pack of 10 think I gave you the last two though!

swordfish210
The discs were from Screwfix if you wanted the same ones, get a pack of 10 think I gave you the last two though!

I bought some Bosch ones this morning :rolleyes:

swordfish210

Hard work is the best cure for a hangover. Thats what i've allways said so i tried to do some work on the 205 today to rid myself of it, unfourtanatly my efforts were hampered by a gas leak in our street and my neighbours collie dog escaping and i had to chase it for what seemed like 10 miles :x

I did manage to get the other door out of the garage and cut some weight out of it once the gas leak had been fixed.

Weight lost:

DSC00310.jpg

Door refitted with puller and new release mechanism:

DSC00311.jpg

It's starting to look a bit more like a car now :)

DSC00312.jpg

I should have some engine related updates next week as i'm running out of things to do on the car.

swordfish210

I was in Uni today so when i finished doing the tracking on the 405 i decided to start checking my liner protrusion. I clamped down the liner clamps that i had made and then put the block on the mill bed (nice flat surface) and clamped it down. I then set up a DTI and started winding the bed to check the protrusion. Once i had checked it all i converted the readings in to metric and checked them against the recomended readings and guess what.........

They were all within tolerance :angry::angry::D:D:D Which is great because it's saved me a load of time and money and i can start building the bottom end up pretty sharpish.

DSC00314.jpg

mmt

Hi mate,

About the ducts:

You wrote: "bought are the dummy uncut ones..."

Can not semm to find them on the webpage...could you pleaase send me a link.

Thanks.

swordfish210

Sorry i was in the shop when i bought them, you could give them a call and ask for them. If you speak to George then tell him that you're after the ones that Mark bought about a week ago.

swordfish210

I went in to uni today and had a semi-sucessful day working on my engine. I started by removing the liners and put the block and crankcase in the washtank to clean off all of the WD-40 residue that i sprayed on it when i cleaned it originaly and i scrubbed the oxidisation off of the mating surfaces.

DSC00322.jpg

While it was drying got the new liners seals out and went to slot them on but...............predictably they didn't fit :x They were so big i could get them on to the liner itself instead of just the seat. So that put an end to that and i decided to fit the crank instead.

I put the crank bearings in and lubed them up with some Redline paste (or blood as it's come to be known)

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

I then dropped the crank in with the new oil seals and oil pump chain and i then got some silicone sealant and put a layer around the mating face for the crankcase. I then bolted the crankcase down and cleaned off the excess sealant. Once that was all done i flipped the block back over and dropped the liners back in and put my liner clamps back on.

DSC00325.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

I then swapped the bearings over from my old rods to the new ones and fitted the new piston rings so they're ready to go in as soon as i get my new liner seals.

DSC00321.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

So sometime next week i should have the bottom end all togeather and i should get my head back from Sandy on the 3rd so i should have the engine done sometime shortly after that :( .

Galifrey

Wow, that is going to be one impressively clean engine, are you going to eat your dinner off it

:(

swordfish210
Wow, that is going to be one impressively clean engine, are you going to eat your dinner off it

:D

Thanks, i've put a lot of work in to it. I hadn't planned on eating my dinner off of it but a clean car is a quick car and all that :(

Edited by swordfish210

Galifrey
Thanks, i've put a lot of work in to it. I hadn't planned on eating my dinner off of it but a clean car is a quick car and all that :D

Dont go spoiling it with a coat of paint now will you, clear laquer would be nice tho

:(

swordfish210

Nope, no paint going on the block. Just sticking with the powder coated rocker and sump :D

swordfish210

My new liner seals arrived at Peugeot this morning so i picked them up and went to Uni in the afternoon. I pulled the liners out of the block and fitted the seals then i used some Ford Lithium grease to lubricate the liner seats to give the selas a better chance of a fully water tight seal:

DSC00340.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

Hard at work :( :

DSC00342.jpg

I then got the piston ring comperssor, lubed up the piston rings with some 10w-40 and the bearings and dropped the pistons in:

DSC00350-1.jpg

Once they were in i bolted the big end caps on and put the liner clamps back in so i could flip the block over. I then put the oil pump back in:

DSC00348-1.jpg

and i put some sealant on and the bottom and fitted the spangley sump B) :

DSC00349-1.jpg

Just need to get my cylinder head back from the deep south now :D :wink: