• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

jonb_5

[race_prep] Hill Climb 1.6 Gti

Miles

Why not use the 1.8 block when you get it, the late 8v blocks where slightly different and bar telling everyone on here no one would know, the old Road saloons where the original engine had to be used where running 16v blocks back in the day and no one was the wiser as unless you know the very minor odd difference and start to win outright most would not care

jonb_5

I had the XU7 engine delivered at the weekend and like you say it does appear very similar, however it is still different and like you say I would more than likely be fine and never be questioned. If I am going to spend the money out and build an engine I feel I should do it legally and therefore use the XU5 block.

May sound weird but a lot of the guys I am competing against are friends and when I finally do beat them, and therefore return some of the gloating I wasn't to know I did it within the rule book. Just me I guess.

On the project, I have now painted the block which looks awesome, it took a lot of cleaning.

I now have a lot of spare engine parts, is there a market for them or should I just weight them all in?

welshpug

what bits do you have spare?

jonb_5

Bits should include:

Pistons, rods, crank, head, exhaust manifold & gearbox from the 1.6 GTi donor engine

Block, sump, oil pump from XU7 donor engine

Thanks

Jon

jonb_5

One freshly painted engine block!

20160105_163223_zpsvirlykkn.jpg

20160105_163239_zpsywej0ofm.jpg

jonb_5

I have a few sets of wheels and decided to try and tidy one set up with a rattle can.

They came out OK but the set I mainly use with the slicks on I think I may shot bast and power cost so they look the best the can.

20160108_155357_zpsxazqytke.jpg

20160108_181235_zpsbxvwtljg.jpg

20160109_170245_zpscuod8aq5.jpg

jonb_5

Finally finished the engine stand and mounted the block.

I need to get the piston valve relief pockets done next before I csn install. Any recommendation on l places to go in the south West?

Also, should I be calculating the depth they need to be machined or is this quite simply? ?

20160129_192104_zpso4soblkt.jpg

Thanks

Jon

tioklou

Hi,

Do you have any updates with your xu5+16v head project?

jonb_5

Had my first race at the weekend, thoroughly enjoyed it and have decided to make some purchases, have bought an LSD and Satchshift so will post some updates as I install these.

I had all the wheels powder coated and they look much better, managed to do this at work so only cost me the tyre removal and refitting.

Engine wise, I have been learning alot and have timed in the cams. I am still deciding whether to run motorbike throttle bodies or carbs. I get varying opinions on this from everyone I speak to, any opions on this.

Prior to the first race I set the tacking and borrowed a set of corner weights, with my weight in the drivers seat and full fuel, water etc the car came in at 783kg. I would like to have this a bit lower so am considering fibreglass panels if anyone knows a good supplier and am probably going to buy a couple of varying size hole saws.

Photos:

20160430_090958_zpseczru2js.jpg

IMG_20160430_171225_zps7nkfe2wa.jpg

20160430_092747_zpslpgzyslr.jpg

20160422_192310_zpsswoyvzim.jpg

20160422_192243_zpsxzweyqsj.jpg

20160422_192233_zpsrjtrnfrw.jpg

jonb_5

I had a couple of issues with mounting the tensioner on the block as it turns out I have an early block and it didn't have the correct hole that I needed.

I had a plate laser cut to mount it to and which works great.

20160511_164941_zpswny5po7h.jpg

jonb_5

Also purchased and fitted a Satchshift ready from my new to race.

It feels awesome to change gear with in the garage/drive so time will tell.

Also very easy to fit.

20160605_103658_zpsugqe33hi.jpg

jonb_5

Also purchased purchased and fitted a quaife LSD. Not exactly was I wanted in terms of a plate diff but it was very cheap from a fellow competitor so I thought I may aswell.

Again surprisingly easy to fit for someone of limited skill like myself just took time to strip everything off to be able to get to the diff casing.

20160516_182006_zpsjimdhboa.jpg

20160516_181943_zpsda5lp98r.jpg

jonb_5

Just a picture from the last race of the setup for towing etc

IMG_20160515_174827_zps2itdlrb0.jpg

jonb_5

No updates in a while, but not too many mods in the car other than wheels and tyres. Still waiting to fit the new engine. However it's getting plenty of use:

Werrington Park Hillclimb a couple of weeks ago: best time 46.81

IMG-20170501-WA0000_zpsijckt5rs.jpg

IMG-20170501-WA0004_zpswsqdbd2s.jpg

And at Llandow sprint on Saturday. Best time of 93.52. I double drive this with a mate and he did a 93.51.

DSC09661_zps7kjnfgrc.jpg

DSC09663_zps6lyo0uf4.jpg

DSC09659_zpsmd64w7xt.jpg

DSC09660_zpsqrelvyct.jpg

DSC09665_zpsrrsp8ryl.jpg

DSC09666_zpsdbjyccil.jpg

I'd be keen to hear people's times if they have been to these events. Just as a comparison.

Thanks

Jon

alync406

Car looks good. Is it 13x8" wheels your running on it? Ford fitment of ET0 possibly?

I have some 13's for my own car - 13x7" ET15 and they fit well but was wondering if I could manage to get so 8" ones for the front as tyres seem to be more plentiful.

Thanks

welshpug

Colin Satchell did a 78.17 back in 2013.

johniban

Them wheels look pretty cool, is it just wide offset and spacers you have?

johniban

have you got any pics/info on how you did the rear coilovers?

jonb_5

Thanks for the comments.

I turned up a set of 20mm spacers and was running XR2i pepperports for a couple of years.

I decided I wanted to go wider and picked up a set of 8" wide ford fitment minilite wheels, ET0 and am really impressed with the outcome, both in performance and looks.

Tyres are alot more readily available second hand and it definitely grips more, I shaved off 2 seconds from my P.B at Werrington in very similar weather conditions and I don't think I can take all of the credit in skill for that.

The rear coilovers were done by Colin Satchel as was the gearshift kit. If I had money to spare it would go back for the front end kit aswell, or just get him to build me a car. I cannot recommend him highly enough and if you have ever seen Colin's car in action, it is very impressive.

I had the unfortunate task of "competing" in the same class as Dean Gammon's 106 for a few events which is running alot of Colin's mods, if you can call getting beaten by more than 10 seconds on a 48 second run competing that is.

Jon

Edited by jonb_5

welshpug

yeah not many cars come particularly close to dean in the 1800 class! its not far off the weight of colins 205 and probably running double your power.