• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

MattCoggins

[race_prep] Hillclimb 205 Rallye

205Rallee

The TU24 is a super rare engine.

Uk 205 Rallyes just have the 1360cc engine out of the petrol engined 205 Van and were a product of Peugeot UK's marketing department. They wouldn't have got away with selling them in France and as for that one on e-bay being worth £8995, you'd have to be insane to pay that when you could have a good XS for a grand.

Lights blue touch paper and runs away............................

• Like 2

Tom Fenton

No need to run away, its a fair comment in my book.

Batfink

and thats why its still not sold...

allye

that one on e-bay being worth £8995, you'd have to be insane to pay that when you could have a good XS for a grand.

The point of a car has never been missed so badly ;)

205Rallee

Anyway back to the original point of this thread...

Matt, I'm doing York MC's sprint at Teeside Autodrome on the Bank Holiday Monday 4th May, not tooo far from you.

205Rallee

First in class, 17th out of the 55 entries, third fastest road going behind a far from standard Elise and a modified Scooby :D

205Rallee

Next event Barbon Hillclimb, Kirkby Lonsdale on Saturday 16th June. 70 odd cars in the entry list, but only a mini and a smart roadster ???!!! in my class. Loads of interesting cars entered and should be a really good days competition (even when it rains).

205Rallee

Next event Barbon Hillclimb, Kirkby Lonsdale on Saturday 16th June. 70 odd cars in the entry list, but only a mini and a smart roadster ???!!! in my class. Loads of interesting cars entered and should be a really good days competition (even when it rains).

Well pour down it did! Won my class and tried to be entertaining around the top hairpin. Need a dehumidifier for the garage as there's still water dripping out of everywhere :( Next stop British Sprint Cahampionship at Kames in Ayrshire in July and then Three Sisters Circuit near Wigan at the beginning of August.

205Rallee

A video from my mates Honda S2000 from yesterdays hillclimb.

MattCoggins

Sorry Colin, not been on for a while.

Well done on the results!

We have had some interest in the house so been busy doing the job we have been putting off for ages!

I did manage to steel a little time to buy some bucket seats and have started mounting them in. Im not sure my mounting method will please an MSA eligibility scrut but its very safe and strong.

Matt

MattCoggins

I couldnt get the seat low enough due to the bump/hump in the floor.

I sat and concidered all my options about cutting the floor/tunnel to get the seat across to the middle of the car and forward towards the standard floor brace.

photo3.jpg

I outlined the "shadow" of the seat and decided that the floor is very thin and not strong enough to bolt strait through.

If I trimmed the tunnel away and replaced it with a flat vertical piece of steel then i could bolt the seat strait through the floor and run either a side mount on the other side or weld something in.

photo6.jpg

So I cut the floor out....

photo5.jpg

used an alloy template to see how things would sit....

photo4.jpg

And then sat in the seat.

The seat is sat nice into the center of the car and just the right distant from the pedals and wheel for me. Ive now had the alloy template made from 3mm steel, and ive had a 2mm steel alternative bent up.

I just hope that a scrutineer will see the saftey side of this modification and not deam it to be performance enhancing.

By doing this, i am further into the center of the car, away from the door and also further away from the roof just incase it "all goes wrong!"

Additionally i am replacing the floor with thicker and heavier steel, so there is a weight disadvantage.....

Colin, and anyone else.... your thoughts please.

Can I also just add that the car is purley being built for me and I wont be selling it to anyone else!

Edited by MattCoggins

205Rallee

Matt,

I followed what everyone else seems to do and just chopped out the front seat crossmember and then chopped out the central tunnel and welded in a right angle in there. I left the hump in the floor as I didn't want to be as "radical" as you have with the floor. I'm 6ft 3" and my seat is low enough now so my head/helmet doesn't touch the rollcage:)

Scrutineers at speed events only ever tend to grap the seat and try and move it about, they won't examine the floor where the seat is mounted but they will look at the seat belt mounts.

Might see you at Harewood in September.

MattCoggins

Thanks Colin

I will try and get over to Harewood in september.

Have you seen the class record for Harewood? 67.65 Seconds, Mr Kerr did set the 1B record in 66.79 last month.... Sounds a bit quick to me.

sam-barker

Love the car, seen it a few times when it was up at rickys old place

MattCoggins

Got the floor welded in over the weekend. Really happy with how it went. Ive altered my mind about bolting through the tunnel directly to the seat and have used side mounts from Rally Design that I had kicking about. The seat fits really well and have managed to get a great driving position, miles better than I had in my MR2 racecar. Its probably the best fit ive ever had in a car ive done! This might sound strange but it feels "quick" already! :ph34r: Ive had to move the steering wheel towards me, so I have used a quick release boss to space it out, it will also make getting in and out easier.

Ive cut the other side out on Sunday, folded the plate up yesterday at work and will hopefully get it in tonight.

Will try and update with pics tonight/tomorrow.

MattCoggins

As promised, I got some worked knocked about last night.

photo13.jpg

photo10.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo16.jpg

photo15.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo17.jpg

The drivers side plate is in, all holes filled, some welding to do to tie the chassis rail back in but nothing major.

The passenger one is not complete as i didnt think the neighbours would like the grinder going past midnight. The plate is in, but the corner hole plates arnt cut welded in yet.

I had to fold the plate to join up to the sill which involved a big vice on the floor, 2 bits of angle and a lot of sweat! Have a close look, im very happy with the outcome. I also welded in a seat belt anchorage plate behind the new floor for extra strength, you can see the eyelet going through the new inner sill. I will replicate this mod on the drivers side.

I know the 3mm plate is heavy and probably wont please people, but im not willing to scrimp on saftey. I fell of a trials bike last year and bulged a disc in my back. Its took over 12 months to sort and dont want to go through all that pain and imobility again. Now im 33 I dont bounce like i used too!

All comments welcome

Matt

MattCoggins

I managed an afternoon in the garage yeasterday.

I manged to get the rear cage feet/boxes all welded in. Just need to enclose them now which is tonights job

DSCN0145.jpg

DSCN0144.jpg

I also managed to swap the rear cross brace from RHD to LHD and added a seatbelt bar in but will probably weld in eyelets in to ensure the belts are sitting strait.

DSCN0146.jpg

DSCN0148.jpg

Ive had to make all the feet up for the cage as it was second hand and didnt come with them. They have been extended to meet the plates for the seats and seat belt mounting.

DSCN0149.jpg

I have also double plates the rear axle mountings and added another bolt hole as the OMP cage only has 2 rear bolt downs and these are above the rear stays. I had to extend the cage feet and add a captive nut for the new bolt to mount too.

DSCN0147.jpg

DSCN0143.jpg

Well thats the rear cage in, just needs a tidy up on some of the welds now

tri_longer

As the floor is part of the unitary contruction it is only the material it is made from that cannot be changed, so you are ok to replace steel with steel.

• Like 1

MattCoggins

Cheers. Just trying to make it as safe as possible. Ive seen to many bad accidents to skimp on saftey...

This one I witnessed

It made it worse because I had been stood next to the guy in the black car about 30 mins earlier. The Protection and performance cage stood up really well to the damage and didnt deform around the area his head was in.

tri_longer

Search youtube for Shelsely Walsh 30th June, red caterham vying for place in the Red Arrows.

MattCoggins

Yeah, almost as impressive as the real thing I saw at the GP last weekend!

Seats are now bolted in, pics coming up this afternoon!

MattCoggins

Photobucket isnt working for some reason, but.....

If you follow this link http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?id=611160550&tid=344964275574603&skipClustering=true&qn=1342611061&success=10&failure=0&set=oa.361038177300546#!/groups/344964275574603/?bookmark_t=group you can add yourself onto my group on Facebook.... The new pictures are on there.

barry d

where did u get the carbon foot trays ? i have been looking for some for ages.

205Rallee

Matt,

Looks like you're amking progress!

Just been down the Peugeot Stealer in search of a new driveshaft for my Rallye, yes they are still available and the right hand (long) one was only £109, so it was all looking good. "Ah but they're on back order". "How long would I have to wait for delivery?" "in my experience one to five years"................................

So ... have taken a risk and ordered an SKF shaft from Mister Auto who get a terrible write up on t'internet. Will see if their service is cr.p and no doubt someone on here will tell me SKF shafts are also cr.p :D.

Also just about to order some solid carb mounts off Chadil for the princley sum of £160.

Two autosolos and then a sprint at 3 Sisters Circuit nr Wigan on the 4th or 5th August.