• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Plumbob

[Car_Restoration] Scruffy But Original 1.9 Gti - Restoration

Rupertfinch

I've just returned to the GTi fold, after years in a Clio Williams enforced exile (still on-going). I left thinking there were only 2 suitable wheels for the GTi, the original 1.6 and 1.9 variants. Your car has added to my list!

Fantastic work, health to drive.

Now to fiddle with my £250 radiator paint decorated weapon.

Plumbob

So now the winter is behind us I want to get a few jobs done on the car and am looking for a bit of advice. Didn't want to start a new topic and I know its been covered several times in the past but i've been having a search on here and most topics are now several years old.

The rear suspension consists of ZX arms, 24mm TB, 23mm ARB, solid mounts and Bilstein Challenge tarmac dampers. Front end is Challenge tarmac dampers and Eibach springs (-30mm) Rear is also lowered to suit.

The front end feels nice but the issue I have is I suspect the rear is over damped, its ok on super smooth roads and ok (ish) when it hits one bump, however if the road has several bumps the rear end never seems able to keep up. Mid corner bumps are pretty hairy if I'm doing any sort of decent speed, it feels like i'm going to pogo off into a bush.

Whats the most recent line of thinking when it comes to rear dampers? Is it possible to have mine reworked by somebody? or I notice Xsara B4's get mentioned quite a bit. Are they able to cope with a lowered beam?

Thanks in advance for any replies..

Tom Fenton

I'd suggest the rear bars are too stiff for the dampers. The challenge cars ran I think 21mm bars, yours are a lot stiffer.

I'd suggest trying 306 group A rear billies which should be more up to the job of the bars.

Although what do you use it for, 24mm is mega hard really for the road?

Plumbob

Thankyou.. I was intending to do the odd track day in it, I got the beam from another member on here minus the shocks. He used to have Gaz Golds on there although I have no idea how it drove on that setup.

welshpug

Probably not that well either from my experience of them.

I would suggest the same as Tom if you keep the bars, last i heard about them Bilstein do have the 306 dampers on the shelf. probably cost the same as a set of torsion bars though!

i think that challenge cars were on standard or 20mm bars, group a tar on 21mm, as there is a tarmac damper listed as well as gravel which are both higher rates than the challenge units

Plumbob

Thanks again. I think seeing as you two find it unusual that the bars are so big perhaps I'll shimmy under it some time with a digi vernier and double check those sizes.

Tom Fenton

It's not unusual, perfectly possible they are 24mm, but for road and the occasional track day they are pretty uncompromising and you'll also need a fairly heavy poundage front spring to match them.

Oh, and pedant mode on, there's no such thing as a digital vernier!!!!!

You mean a digital caliper.

welshpug

waggle a spanner over them, quicker :D

i have 23's on my zx, with the extra length they come in at about 220 lb wheel rate with about 120kg more rear axle weight, 205 with a shorter 23mm bar would have a higher wheel rate.

Plumbob

I knew I'd get picked up on something. I strive for the day I'm as perfect as you Tom.

• Like 1