• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DTORU

New Intercooler Almost Fitted

DTORU

Ive Had A Play With The New Cooler Today And Mocked Everything Up And Fits Great, Just Got To Weld Some Brackets And Bolt It All Back Togeather. Using The Morrets As Im Going To Use The L/H One As Headlight And Air Filter, Best Form Of Cold Air Feed.

Piccys:

DSCF0717.jpg

DSCF0721.jpg

Thanks

DTORU

Bally

Yes it is a pain to fit them , and even more so when you want to retain A/C and all std engine components and bodywork.

Edited by Bally

craig f90

Nice work. Plenty of cold air, and what a sweet induction roar your gonna get. I finished plumbing and mounting my intercooler today. My bumper is half of what it used to be. :mellow: Welldone for retaing yours.

DTORU

Its A bit Too Big Rearly But I Brought It, So I Used It. Its A RS500 Stage 3. Its Massive! Should Keep ACT Temps Down A Treat. The Oil Cooler Its Be Fitted Where The L/H Driving Light Was So Ill Be Missing One Driving Lamp And One Main Beam Lamp, LOL.

Edited by DTORU

cybernck

did you buy that from Bam? :mellow:

pdd144c

Looking good. Very similar to my RS500 one!

craig f90

My old boss always said big is BEST. My g/f does too, thinking on it :)

Keep up the good work mate. I cant wait to see together. Just a thought? any one concidered a new transit intercooler (looks like a sierra cossie one) or a land rover defender cooler?? been checking them out as theyve been coming into work, recon you could fit either into a 205.

EDIT: I cant spell today.

Edited by craig f90

DTORU

Well The Cooler Is Not Mounted, The Inlet Pipe Is Complete And Ivew Ordered A New Filter (Piper Vortex) To Fit The Hole In The Light Better. Just Waiting On A Reducer Hose For The Inlet On The Cooler And A New Oil Cooler AS Im Mounting It Where The Drivers Side Fog Light Is .

More Piccys To Follow, Roll O 4th November! Santa Pod. Hoping For A 14-14.5 Run But Traction Is A Problem As It Spins A Lot. Quickest Time So Far Is A 15.

Thanks

DTORU

Alastairh

Crikey Chris.

Looks like fun :mellow:

Hows the car running these days? you got all your new rods and stuff in their?

And also you coming next leci meet?

Al

DTORU
Crikey Chris.

Looks like fun B)

Hows the car running these days? you got all your new rods and stuff in their?

And also you coming next leci meet?

Al

Yes Ill Be There M8!

sonofsam
Well The Cooler Is Not Mounted, The Inlet Pipe Is Complete And Ivew Ordered A New Filter (Piper Vortex) To Fit The Hole In The Light Better. Just Waiting On A Reducer Hose For The Inlet On The Cooler And A New Oil Cooler AS Im Mounting It Where The Drivers Side Fog Light Is .

More Piccys To Follow, Roll O 4th November! Santa Pod. Hoping For A 14-14.5 Run But Traction Is A Problem As It Spins A Lot. Quickest Time So Far Is A 15.

Thanks

DTORU

You running any kind of electronic boost control?

I/C looks great mate.B)

bales
My old boss always said big is BEST. My g/f does too, thinking on it :)

Keep up the good work mate. I cant wait to see together. Just a thought? any one concidered a new transit intercooler (looks like a sierra cossie one) or a land rover defender cooler?? been checking them out as theyve been coming into work, recon you could fit either into a 205.

EDIT: I cant spell today.

Big is better until you realise that once you have cooled the air as much as is possible the rest of the intercooler just induces extra lag and pressure drop.

Personally I reckon a 2wd cossie one is more than big enough for easy 220+bhp, though with pdd144c's car I can understand why an RS500 cooler might be necessary! B)

Edited by bales

craig f90
Big is better until you realise that once you have cooled the air as much as is possible the rest of the intercooler just induces extra lag and pressure drop.

Personally I reckon a 2wd cossie one is more than big enough for easy 220+bhp, though with pdd144c's car I can understand why an RS500 cooler might be necessary! :)

Cheers for that bales, i hadn't really thought into it that hard. :(

I had a peek at a freelander i/c today. Another option?

DTORU
Cheers for that bales, i hadn't really thought into it that hard. :)

I had a peek at a freelander i/c today. Another option?

Im Presently Running A 2WD Cossie Cooler But The Engine Suffers From Charge Temp Isues. Anything Under 15PSI Boost Is Fine But Any Thing Over I.E Prolonged 30PSI The Engine Temp Creeps Up Quite Quick. Plus After Doing Some Reasearch Diesels Work Better With Bigger Coolers.

Im Am Running Electronic Boost Managment Greddy Pro B Spec 2.

Thanks

DTORU

bales
Im Presently Running A 2WD Cossie Cooler But The Engine Suffers From Charge Temp Isues. Anything Under 15PSI Boost Is Fine But Any Thing Over I.E Prolonged 30PSI The Engine Temp Creeps Up Quite Quick. Plus After Doing Some Reasearch Diesels Work Better With Bigger Coolers.

Im Am Running Electronic Boost Managment Greddy Pro B Spec 2.

Thanks

DTORU

Well yeah at 2 bar boost you will be putting a hell of a lot of heat into the inlet charge so I guess a big intercooler is necessary as you are getting most of the power from boost rather than airflow but I suppose that is always going to be the case when wanting big power out of a diesel given that you cant use revs.

Do you not suffer from hoses blowing off and things at 2 bar as jubilee clips aren't very good with high boost pressure, or do you use those bloody expensive clamps that are about £20 each lol!

Pob
Well yeah at 2 bar boost you will be putting a hell of a lot of heat into the inlet charge so I guess a big intercooler is necessary as you are getting most of the power from boost rather than airflow but I suppose that is always going to be the case when wanting big power out of a diesel given that you cant use revs.

Do you not suffer from hoses blowing off and things at 2 bar as jubilee clips aren't very good with high boost pressure, or do you use those bloody expensive clamps that are about £20 each lol!

As Chris didn't reply I'll reply for him B) He is using normal jubilee clips just big chunky ones. He did have a issue of blowing holes in connector pipes so uprated them, so far he has only popped one.

Chris's diesel rev's to around 7-7.5k with power right through the rev range. His mods have totally changed the power delivery on the engine, very impressive and can see off my 205 :)

The new intercooler works really well, the temperature doesn't creep up like it did with the 2WD IC

Dan

Edited by Pob

DTORU

Finished At last The Piccys Of The Cooler Mounted.

DSCF0737.jpg

DSCF0738.jpg

Thanks

DTORU

Garry

Thats what I call an intercooler!

Where do the boost pipes run?

DTORU
Thats what I call an intercooler!

Where do the boost pipes run?

There Loacted At The Top Of The Cooler Just Like the 2WD One. 3" Inlet/Oulet Reduced To 2.5" As Thats What Size Pipe Work Im Running.

DSCF0150.jpg

DSCF0149.jpg

Piccys Of The Piping With The Old Cooler Fitted, Routes The Same Way, The Air Filter Now Routes Through The Front Headlight. Cooler Air.

Latest Stuff To Fit:

Propane Injection And Wet Nitrous Using Pure Alcohol As The Fuel Base (Going To Run 100BHP Progressive)! Nice! Upped The Boost To Just Under 30psi.

Thanks

DTORU

bales
As Chris didn't reply I'll reply for him :P He is using normal jubilee clips just big chunky ones. He did have a issue of blowing holes in connector pipes so uprated them, so far he has only popped one.

Chris's diesel rev's to around 7-7.5k with power right through the rev range. His mods have totally changed the power delivery on the engine, very impressive and can see off my 205 :D

The new intercooler works really well, the temperature doesn't creep up like it did with the 2WD IC

Dan

This sounds like me being arsey but is more just out of intrigue, if Audi spent millions of pound designing and building from complete scratch a diesel race engine with direct injection and one of the most complex fuelling systems since...erm a very complex thing, how did their engine only manage to make peak power at just 5.5krpm and you have managed to make a old pug diesel engine with non-direct injection and a mechanical fuel pump rev to 7500rpm....

It sort of goes against all the thermodynamics I did at uni with respect to flame fronts and the fact that diesel cant burn fast enough to allow that high revs...I am not saying you are lying as I am sure you are able to read a tacho but I just can't get my head around it.

Also do you not think that 150bhp from nearly 2 bar of boost shows that you need to concentrate on the effciency of getting the air through the engine and burning it properly rather than just cramming more and more boost in? When I went to York raceway last year for GTI festival (a VW show) there were 2 mk2 golfs running in the 12s that were diesel powered, one was a PD engine which was seriously tuned but the other one was a GTD engine from a mk2 golf so that wasn't direct injection - which does show that you can get good power from old technolgy still. Though when I spoke to them their cars weren't revving much higher than the standard cars, only to about just over 5krpm I think.

I'm not slaggin your engine off as I think that it is impressive for what is essentially a really basic engine, but I am really really intrigiued about this 7.5k thing.

Thanks

Alex

205turbo

i've been in this car and must say its reminds me of a standard 205 1.9 Turbo Technics,

it was quicker than most of the 205's mi16 at santa pod when i was watching

tom_m
This sounds like me being arsey but is more just out of intrigue, if Audi spent millions of pound designing and building from complete scratch a diesel race engine with direct injection and one of the most complex fuelling systems since...erm a very complex thing, how did their engine only manage to make peak power at just 5.5krpm and you have managed to make a old pug diesel engine with non-direct injection and a mechanical fuel pump rev to 7500rpm....

just because its revving that high, doesn't mean its making peak power at those revs.

welshpug

I'd be interested to see the graphs for this engine, not so much for the figures but to see the curves and rpm figures.

2 bar of boost isn't much for a diesel at all, the 140 bhp PD TDi's run 2 bar, though it is double the standard boost for this particular engine.

bales
just because its revving that high, doesn't mean its making peak power at those revs.

I didn't mean that it was making peak power there, its hard enough to get a petrol to make peak power above 7k, I meant it was the fact that it was revving to that at all and making "any power" at those revs.

DTORU
I didn't mean that it was making peak power there, its hard enough to get a petrol to make peak power above 7k, I meant it was the fact that it was revving to that at all and making "any power" at those revs.

The Motor Im Running At The Moment Only Revs To 6300RPM And Was On The Dyno Last Year And Produced Power Up To 5500RPM, The Last Motor Blew Up, LOL. I Use Pure Alcohol To Achive The Higher Revs. The Whole Car Has Been One big Learing Curve As It Has Been Built And Tuned By No One But Me. I Had Fueling Problems Last Year And It Was Running Lean, But Now Its About Sorted.

The Car Now Pulls Up To 6200RPM Then Dies Off.

Thanks

DTORU

Sign in to follow this