• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Doof

Xu10 Sump Won't Fit Xu10

Doof

Ok, why don't the following fit? Xu10J4 sump, XU10J4 block...it seems to be fouling on the think metal plate attached to the sump, but why, its a damn Xu10 sump!

Its about 2 inches too high!! Theres no spacers on iron blocks right...

one sump:

DSC00203.jpg

one bottom end:

DSC00201.jpg

kutija

If I see it right you have an extended oil pick up?

So without spacer oil pickup is hitting the trap door?

Doof

Yes, thats not the problem in this case though. The thin metal piece bolted to the oil pump is hitting the sump...and actually i've found the cause. The aluminum sump is actually not as deep as the steel sump!! How can these aluminum sumps fit on any Xu10j4 engine when they're not as deep, they must be lacking the metal plate?

Is it true also that i need an Xu9 sump spacer on the steel block because of the oil pump extension?

Gibbo GTI
Yes, thats not the problem in this case though. The thin metal piece bolted to the oil pump is hitting the sump...and actually i've found the cause. The aluminum sump is actually not as deep as the steel sump!! How can these aluminum sumps fit on any Xu10j4 engine when they're not as deep, they must be lacking the metal plate?

Is it true also that i need an Xu9 sump spacer on the steel block because of the oil pump extension?

I believe the engines fitted with aircon pumps had a deeper sump than none aircon cars. The dipsticks are different lengths accordingly.

Baz

Yes!! that's the idea, you lengthen the pickup, aswel as having the taller sump AND the spacer plate, the lower pick up, stronger spring, 26t sprocket and more oil in the sump all doing their bit to help. Read back over Peter's website! :)

DrSarty

I thought we talked about this Doof. Why are you so reluctant to put the sump spacer in anyway? Bang it in there and get the benefits my lad. Looks like you haven't got a choice now anyway. :)

Sandy

That alloy sump looks like the XU7 rather than XU10, unless I'm suffering severe brain fade?

welshpug

could be off an early XU10, they don't all have the wings that the R/RS lumps have.

Spiky

that's diffenent to a gti6 sump

DSC04596.jpg

Doof

Ok, sorry to bring up this old post but unless I'm a retard...no sumps at all fit my XU10J4...i've tried the one pictured above from an Xu10J4, i've tried a GTi-6 sump and still no joy!

Can anyone spot anything wrong with the oil pump assembly pictured above? Basically it feels and looks like it just cannot fit with that bit of sheet metal shielding the pickup!

Now, i'm almost certain I have an Xu10j4 sump, standard apart from the pickup extension, but that shouldn't matter as i have a spacer from a GTi...

I've tried all orientations, sliding it on from angles and all sorts and it simply will not fit with that damned metal guard thing!

Any help greatly appreciated.

hexhamstu

what sump came off the thing?

Doof

Some steel sump that i can't bloody find any more!

Does anyone know if you can actually get different depth sumps?

Miles

You can get different size pump baffles, Does it fit with the baffle on?

Doof

Ahhhhhhhhhh Miles you genious!!

Different size pump baffles!! Obviously i'm using a baffle for a steel sump and i'm trying to stick an ally sump on it!!!!!!!!!!!

philfingers

try this, it's for a GTi6 sump on an Mi block using a 8v sump stiffner/spacer.

I made this out of alloy sheet, cut with tin snips. Its a very snug fit with probably less than 1mm all the way around fitted

Not sure how much the sump is hovering above the face of the block when you offer it up but you could try just slackening the baffle plate bolts off slightly an see if you can move it slightly,

Phil

Mi16_Oil_pump_baffle.PDF

Sign in to follow this