• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

Driveshaft Shortening

Rob Turbo

I've decided to go for a v6 in my 306, I'm off to pick one up tomorrow.

I know the shafts will need shortening, I'll mark them up, chop them with a grinder, then true them up in the lathe, that's the easy bit, now what do you do to make sure they stay lined up 100% for welding? I thought about making a tight fitting bung to press into one side, press the two halves together, then weld away. Is there an easier way or is this the way forward?

Next question, could I mig weld them, or does it need to be done with a tig? How thick is the shaft?

And finally, when I true the ends up, should I keep the ends flat or taper them so that when they are put together there's a groove all the way round, then fill the groove up with weld?

Any other advice on the subject? (Either shaft shortening or v6 fitting!!)

Thanks,

Rob

welshpug

I believe that they may not actually need shortening for the 306.

But if I'm wrong and they do, I do believe Colin Satchel aka Eeyore can do them.

The 406 shafts (as are many larger engined 306's) are hollow, so yes you would press an insert of some sort in to keep them straight, you would ned to vee the join between them to gain good weld penetration.

any other advice? Ask those who have done it before :) (Hilgie and Jeram are the only two I know of that are on the forums)

Rob Turbo

I'll offer them up against the 306 shafts once I get them off the car, fingers crossed they fit straight on!! I'll not get my hopes up though!

Thanks,

Rob

Rob Turbo

Back to an earlier question, saying they need shortening, I chop them etc. can I mig them? I'm a decent welder, I trust my work, but can a mig join the 2 halves well enough to cope with the stresses the shafts will take?

maxi
Back to an earlier question, saying they need shortening, I chop them etc. can I mig them? I'm a decent welder, I trust my work, but can a mig join the 2 halves well enough to cope with the stresses the shafts will take?

Nope! Im stuck in the same problem at the mo and after having a pair of shafts snap at about 7000RPM (Smashed gearbox casing, damaged bulkhead, etc etc) I know how important it is to have them bang on. If you find a company that will do it give me a shout and visa versa.

Maxi

welshpug

a propshaft re-conditioners may be able to help, I have heard of people using services like these to get custom shafts done.

Rob Turbo
Nope! Im stuck in the same problem at the mo and after having a pair of shafts snap at about 7000RPM (Smashed gearbox casing, damaged bulkhead, etc etc) I know how important it is to have them bang on. If you find a company that will do it give me a shout and visa versa.

Maxi

How did you do yours? did you make a bung to keep them lined up or anything and were they just mig'd? Any photos?

I'll probably chop them, line them up with a bung then take them down to my mate with a tig or take them to a fabricators or something.

maxi
How did you do yours? did you make a bung to keep them lined up or anything and were they just mig'd? Any photos?

I'll probably chop them, line them up with a bung then take them down to my mate with a tig or take them to a fabricators or something.

Thats the thing, I havent done mine! I snapped a pair of std ones. Potentially if your weld dosent hold up, the shaft will snap and its like a sledgehammer going round. It mullered my gearbox, lower arm, subframe and twatted the bulkhead. Imagin f it hit your engine block, that would be the end of the engine. Seems a shame to risk all the work for lashing a set of shafts??

Maxi

Rob Turbo

Hmm, I suppose!

What I could do is put a long bung in, a good fit but just tight enough so it can still be turned inside the shaft with a bit of force, that way, if it ever does snap, there will be something to hold the 2 halves together, I'll just loose drive. I'll still look into getting them done properly though, it would still be a ball ache to strip everything down just to get the shafts out to re weld, even if they don't do any damage!

Edited by Rob Turbo

jonnie205

i would get a prop shaft manufacturers to do it, prope are cheap to have made so its prob best to get them to make a whole new bar in your required length

danpug
I do believe Colin Satchel aka Eeyore can do them.

Yep and they have been tried and tested and haven't failed. They are also a nice sensible price.

welshpug

I think it was on Garry's Supercharged gti6 thread that was mentioned, certainly a test against torque there ;)

Sign in to follow this