• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Running A 1.6 Without Dizzy?

Richie-Van-GTi

I know its becoming common to run a 1.9 on 2.0 8v management to do away with dizzy and afm etc, I was wondering if anyone has doen the same with a 1.6 using a 1.6 8v tu loom? Does the TU trigger on the crank work in roughly the same trigger position etc, IE same amount of teeth before TDC? How do say VTR injector flowrates compare with the gti's?

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

welshpug

Its off the XU9 not 10 that the MP3.1 management came from, the XU10 uses a Lambda sensor.

I don't think there's any ECU out there that would run the 1.6 XU that well without a remap so you'd be best off using the management and components off the XU9 as it all fits, but again, you'd need a remap.

Baz

An Emerald if bought new would come with a base map preloaded to suit whatever you wanted, ie if you wanted to run a wasted spark type system instead of the dizzy etc.

Richie-Van-GTi

I ws more thinking of cheap alternatives rather than remaps, stand alones etc. Didnt know if anyone had gone down that route? I think it may be an interesting test. Will try it out on my next 1.6

Tom Fenton

I think it is a good idea, if you can get the sensors mounted and pick up from the flywheel the same why not give it a go.

pug_ham

I'm in the planning stages to build a 1.6 GTi running on MM8P this winter, the only problem being that whatever ecu you use its going to need a remap because I've not yet found an MM8P ecu that was originally made for a 1.6 MPi & very much doubt the XU10 map will be ideal.

I wouldn't like to guess how well the ecu from something like a Saxo VTR would run an XU engine or if the flywheel has the same 60-2 timing teeth arrangement.

Graham.

Richie-Van-GTi

I will have a look at a vtr engine on monday at work and check the missing tooth position in relation to TDC and the crank sensor positioning. It is still 60-2 AFAIK but its all down to the trigger angles. I will also check the flowrates of the injectors. I have a sneaky feeling the injectors will be slightly lower flowrates due to newer emmisions and CATs etc. This being the case I suspect it should run it fairly well given the larger valves of the gti and the wilder cam to allow for increase in fuel delivery. Problem may be setting up an idle control system, although I have an eye on a unit that would plug straight into the bottom of the plenum and also the advance curve may be wrong for the cam. I think a standard lambda for the initial wiring and a secondary wideband may be required for monitoring. Something like the lc-1 kit with narrow and wide band outputs may be the way forwards I think.

pug_ham

I think it'd run fine without any kind of additional idle control system.

Mine does on MP3.1 with the SAD removed.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this