• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
damo

5th Gear Change

damo

I have a TD box on my 1.9 and a 1.6 gti box to go on instead. with 5th being longer on the td box can it easily be swapped out so my 1.6 box will have the td 5th for motorway driving?

Ive done a search but cant seem to find anything.

also note im a novice so I'm hoping this is simple

if anyone lives near taunton in somerset and wants to give me a hand as i dont have a clue, your help will be verywelcome and ill make sure you get some beer money for they time

damo

markw

Damo

It is a simple job to swap them over as long as you change both cogs,but aren't the td and 1.6 the same gear ratios with a different final drive ratio?(someone will advise) i swapped The 5th gear on my 1.9 gearbox with a 4.4 fd,to a longer one but on changing from 4th to 5th there was a drop of about 1500 revs which is fine on the motorway but a pain in the ass everywhere else,

Miles

Yes and no, The 5th is as or should be as the Mi16 which is long, The 1.6/1.9 is allot shorter, the part you need to watch is the dia of the input shaft and bush as they vary in size.

pug_ham

The TD & 1.6 boxes have different ratio's & final drive.

Fitting the diesel fith to a 1.6 box will give the same ratio as on a 405 1.9 SRi, I used to have this gearbox on my car & it was OK but got bored when off the motorway as I spent more time in fourth for the acceleration so I now run a 1.6 gearbox instead. With this ratio you get about 22.5mph/ 1krpm.

Swapping fifth gear is pretty easy & I don't think you really need to take the gearbox off the car to do it, just drain the oil & remove the end cover.

This guide shows a full gearbox strip to swap the final drive but shows what is needed to get just the fifth gear off.

Graham.

damo

thanks for the info - i think ill put the 1.6 box on as it is and see how it goes :D

just need someone to help :)

anyone want to offer whos local :)

Damo

Miles

It's easy, 15 min's is all you need, providing you have the right parts and a air gun

eob

Yep, I've done it. Easy to do just be careful taking off the cogs, I chipped a tooth! Use a gear puller or alternatively use a rag wrapped around the cog and tap it gently on opposite sides using a standard hammer. Do not, I repeat, do not put a screwdriver underneath the cog and try to lever it off the shaft. I took a tiny chip out of one of the cogs doing this, luckily not on the end where it engages with the output shaft so it should be ok :D

Sign in to follow this