• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Heater Issues

Telf

My heater on a 1.4 GR isn't working propearly so today I removed the thermostat thing thinking it might be stuck and wasn't letting hot coolant into the heater side. I've bled the system but it's still not producing any heat.

Telf

Here's a picture of the pipes to and from the heater. Having bled it all seem to get warm apart from the one on the left of the picture that heads into the bleed nipple. Can anybody enlighten me as to what is going on please?

post-21474-0-54125400-1478444931_thumb.jpg

Telf

If I leave the heater on full heat but without the fan operating after about 1/2 hour you get the faintest whiff of warm air. I'm leaning towards the heater matrix is blocked ?!? But never had this issue before

toolie72

Can only be an air lock or a blocked matrix-same as central heating in the house, probably radiated heat building up in matrix rather than hot water flowing through it

Telf

It must be blocked because coolant is flowing freely at the bleed point. Damn!

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Easy to change and not expensive. Just fit a new one.

Tom Fenton

Yes pattern ones from all the usual suspects.

welshpug

check on ebay, there's often nissens or valeo on there very cheap, nissens ones are often stamped valeo too.

trogboy

A bit late to the party, but you know the inlet and outlet to the matrix are on the engine side of the thermostat? Taking the stat our will make the engine run cooler and the heater less effective as water will constantly be flowing through the radiator.

You can test for blockages by taking off the hoses from the thermostat housing and the back of the block and running pouring water though one from a hose or watering can etc.

Ad

Telf

Cheers Ad. No I didn't know that! Well even with the radiator fans blowing so coolant up to a decent temp there's no warmth in the car. I guess the matrix must be blocked as there is hot coolant at the bleed and no amount of squeezing the pipes makes any difference.

Tom Fenton

Matrix swap is easy on a 205. Remove the tray that sits above your right knee. Then you can access the screws that attach the pipework, remove these have a bucket to catch any coolant. Then a couple of screws and out comes the matrix. Hoover all the leaves and crap out then refit.

One pointer, the new matrix will usually come with new solid pipes, my experience of these is that they are not formed properly and don't fit. Re use your old ones if you can, with the new seals supplied.

farmer

If you buy a valeo one from experiance and not cheap tatt the new pipes are good

Telf

ok thanks guys- another job to add to the list!

Tom if u remove the matrix do you loose a lot of coolant?

trogboy

I've always disconnected the hoses in the bay from the metal pipes through the bulkhead and tied them up out of the way. Then you just have to deal with the coolant in those hoses and the matrix when you disconnect them behind the dash. You shouldn't loose too much if you are careful - be sure to keep the rubber hoses level and above the level of the expansion tank or the coolant will syphon out of the head and block.

Telf

Today I got round to changing the heater. One of the screws was rotten to the extent that no tool was ever going to get it undone so I cut through the pipes and removed them.

Now I have a issue- it turns out the pipes supplied in the kit are too short and actually bend the wrong way when in position.

Does anybody have a set of the matrix pipes please?

Telf

Top pipe is the original and bottom is the replacement

post-21474-0-87180600-1484927765_thumb.jpg

Telf

Replacement pipe supplied by Jackherer- cheers buddy. I now have heat!

jackherer

It was lucky the one you needed was the one usable part I had in my scrap bin, you saw the state of the other one or what was left of it!

• Like 1