Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Steering Rack Service

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

mmt

mmt
  • Drivers
  • 381 posts
  • Name:Martin
I have my steering rack off the car. Is there any way to service it with oil/grease it is a non PAS unit.

Thought it would be an easier job now it is off the car.

Thanks.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,760 posts
Yes you can strip it and re grease.
However the best thing you can do is throw it in the bin and fit something with a faster ratio. The standard rack at 3.9 turns lock to lock is awful.

mmt

mmt
  • Drivers
  • 381 posts
Thanks Tom. How do I re-grease it? There is some kind of s lid with two bolts in it is that Where the new grease goes in?

I am ok with How it turns. :-)

Miles

Miles
  • Pitcrew+
  • 11,683 posts
  • Name:Miles
Garage View Garage

I'd strip it down, replace the Nylon bush & Seals, Arms and Boots and grease when re-building 

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
  • Name:justin
Garage View Garage
You can change the bearing but its not straight forward sadly.

Alan_M

Alan_M
  • Drivers+
  • 4,521 posts

Thanks Tom. How do I re-grease it? There is some kind of s lid with two bolts in it is that Where the new grease goes in?

I am ok with How it turns. :-)

Be careful taking that 'lid' off. There is a spring behind it that can ping off.

Probably the easiest thing to do is peel back the gaitors and bung some grease in, working the rack full lock each direction.

mmt

mmt
  • Drivers
  • 381 posts
Thanks for the warning. What Does the spring do? Already took the lid off. I guess it should be clean behind the lid. Thought that grease went in there!?

hoodygoodwood

hoodygoodwood
  • Drivers
  • 664 posts
  • Name:Miles Hood
Garage View Garage
There is only a bush at one end of the rack , at the other end the spring pushes the rack ( via a nylon bush ) onto the pinion gear . Not sure what type of grease to recommend - too thick and it just pushes off the mating parts - too thin and it will just drip off .
Any recommendations for grade of grease as I will be rebuilding a PAS rack myself soon ?

Edited by hoodygoodwood, 11 September 2017 - 07:35 PM.

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,220 posts

VW supply a specific grease for steering racks, you can get it on ebay and presumably from VAG dealers.

Miles

Miles
  • Pitcrew+
  • 11,683 posts
  • Name:Miles
Garage View Garage

Non PAS bush is a piece of cake to change

DamirGTI

DamirGTI
  • Pitcrew
  • 2,742 posts
  • Name:Damir
MoS grease is what i found recommend for steering racks in OE service manual for Citroën's (zx , bx ,xm , xantia , xsara etc. ) so same as Peugeot .

D