Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Engine Cutting Out

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,023 posts
  • Name:Mei
there's no ignition wiring connected to the afm but it is in the loom so it would be an idea to pull the loom out and check its condition.

dobboy

dobboy
  • Drivers+
  • 2,600 posts
  • Name:Jack
Garage View Garage
have you ruled out/proved the TPS?

DamirGTI

DamirGTI
  • Pitcrew
  • 2,742 posts
  • Name:Damir
Ditto , seems like you have something wrong in the wiring/loom ..

Is the AFM properly set/calibrated ? If you wish , try to experimente a little with the AFM spring tension - mark current position , then try and re-adjust the cog wheel 4 to max. 7 tooths on the either side and see what happens .

It will start with the AFM unplugged or unpluged and removed completely , but will run rich and will smoke a lot ..

D

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,023 posts
no need to touch the afm, its a remanufactured unit.

hoodygoodwood

hoodygoodwood
  • Drivers
  • 664 posts
  • Name:Miles Hood
Garage View Garage
I think it is possible to get the gearbox reverse switch connector and the water temp mixed up although the WT plug should be blue iirc - does your reverse light come on correctly .
Definitely sounds like a fuelling issue with the easistart keeping it running .

mowflow

mowflow
  • Drivers
  • 536 posts
  • Name:Paul
Yeah, after spending £250 on the AFM I'm not going to mess with it.

The loom should be good as I sent it to Miles and paid to have it looked at.

I've managed to get hold of someone who knows their way around 205s who has kindly offered to come take a look.

mowflow

mowflow
  • Drivers
  • 536 posts
So it looks like it's the fuel pump. It's making nowhere near the required pressure.

Time for a search on recommended replacements that aren't too hideously expensive like the Bosch one from mister auto.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,023 posts
how much are they? I wouldn't want to use anything else tbh, they last long enough too.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,744 posts
Garage View Garage
I assume you checked the fuel pressure regulator is good?

Also, worth pulling the pump out and checking the short length of fuel hose inside hasn't split - it's not unheard of.

mowflow

mowflow
  • Drivers
  • 536 posts
There are 2 versions £200 - £300.

Ive not checked the pressure regulator but pressure was under 1bar on the fuel feed. It was Rab Elliott from pscuk that came round so a reliable gauge was used. He checked the wiring and ran a live feed direct to the pump and said you can even hear it's not right.

dobboy

dobboy
  • Drivers+
  • 2,600 posts
Garage View Garage
I think I might have a pump for a 1.6 you can have if you don't mind collecting it.

mowflow

mowflow
  • Drivers
  • 536 posts
Pretty sure I could manage that if you're somewhere around the Glasgow area.

Not sure how many pump types there are. My car is an H reg 1.6

Edited by mowflow, 04 June 2017 - 05:18 PM.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,744 posts
Garage View Garage
Two GTI type pumps - early models have a black housing, later models a white housing. 1.6 and 1.9 makes no odds.

Yours should be the later type if it's a Phase 2, but H reg is when they changed over.

dobboy

dobboy
  • Drivers+
  • 2,600 posts
Garage View Garage
does the colour determine its flow rate?

I just remembered that I'd previously dug it out for someone and iirc it's black. It's there anyway if needed.

Small world as I was talking to Rab a couple of weeks ago.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,760 posts

Also, worth pulling the pump out and checking the short length of fuel hose inside hasn't split - it's not unheard of.

Do this first off. Then try clamping the return hose with the pump running to see what pressure you get, to prove the pressure reg.

mowflow

mowflow
  • Drivers
  • 536 posts
I'll pull the pump out, see what version I have and will check the hose inside. I may be in touch dobboy.

I'll probably just replace the pressure regulator anyway. It's about the only part left in there that I've not replaced now.

Thanks all for your help.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,760 posts
I wouldn't personally just change it for the sake of it. With the pressure gauge on and pump running then restrict the return hose from the regulator to the tank. If the pressure increases your fuel pump is up to the job but the regulator is not. If the pressure does not increase then the pump cannot deliver the pressure regardless. But also have the pump out and check the rubber connection inside from pump to housing!

mowflow

mowflow
  • Drivers
  • 536 posts
I've already tried that. Clamped the return hose after the regulator and it had no effect.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,760 posts

Change pump and re test pressure fingers crossed should sort it. I'd check the rubber pipe in the pump housing before ordering a new pump though.

mowflow

mowflow
  • Drivers
  • 536 posts
Pump is out. Black housing so earlier type. Does this look the same as the spare you have dobboy?

IMG_20170605_215634_zpsaiqqikaj.jpg

Rubber hose doesn't appear split.

IMG_20170605_215703_zpssuosg1do.jpg