Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Car Running Very Rich

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Justin181

Justin181
  • Drivers
  • 39 posts
  • Name:Justin Hincks
I put all the breathers on the car today and got her properly running for the first time as i basicly brought her as a non runner..
She started first time which was pretty good as she had been stood for 3 years.
But when i revved it up she was spluttering and quite boggy in low revs.
So i took the plugs out to check them and they were blacker than black!
What are the common faults for overfuelling on these gti's how do the afm adjustment work? Wind in to richen and out to lean?
Any helo would be much appreciated

pug_ham

pug_ham
  • Team Managers
  • 18,423 posts
  • Name:Graham
Garage View Garage

What exactly have you do to get it running again?

I'd look into the basics before assuming the AFM needs adjusting, this is best done with an exhaust gas tester anyway.

It's possible the SAD & coolant temp sensor plugs have been cross connected which can cause of over-fuelling but are the HT leads fitted in the correct order, dizzy timing correct?

g

Justin181

Justin181
  • Drivers
  • 39 posts
I basicly bought the car as a non runner.. It had been stood for 3 years.
It had no oil filler housing connected and all the breathers had were missing apart from the the sad ones.. Its not missfiring its just badly overfuelling .. How do u check ignition timing ? If i get a strobe where is the marks? Crank pulley or flywheel? How will i know if the sad an coolant sensor plugs have been put on the wrong way? Is the coolant one blue?
Also the car is sorn so i cnt get it to a mot station for gas analyser

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,220 posts

Is the coolant one blue?

Yes and the plug going onto it should be blue too.

Justin181

Justin181
  • Drivers
  • 39 posts
Ok cool.. so i pressume the only things that will make these run rich is mainly the ctp or the afm?

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts
  • Name:Mei

or damaged wiring or poorly setup.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage
Also, worth double checking that you've got a matched set of injection parts if you bought it as a non-runner, as start mixing bits and you can end up with fuelling way out.

1.6 GTi ECU part number should end 340, the AFM 056 and the injectors should be blue in colour. Be suspicious if someone's had the plastic lid off the AFM too (tale tale of sealant splodged everywhere)

Justin181

Justin181
  • Drivers
  • 39 posts
Ye mate all the injectors are blue.. afm is 056 i bought it from classic peugeot spares last week.... i need to get it on a gas analyser .. and also i need to check the resistance on the coolant temp sensor ..

I read a post about setting them up the other day i think it was welshpugs post about startin from scratch. Winding afm out.. screwing idle right in an then adjusting it up.

What should the resistance be when the sensor is cold?!

Justin181

Justin181
  • Drivers
  • 39 posts
Does anybody have any part numbers for the coolant sensor or know of any places i could get one tomorrow?

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts
  • Name:Mei

0280 130 056

bosch part, as used on BMW's of similar era and probably many more, GSF used to stock them, never actually found one that has failed though.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage
I have. They seem to fail reading cold, so engine appears to run fine but fuel economy is dreadful, typically low 20s to gallon.

Justin181

Justin181
  • Drivers
  • 39 posts
So what else do u think could cause it to overfuel? The only other thing adjustsble is the afm??

DamirGTI

DamirGTI
  • Pitcrew
  • 2,742 posts
  • Name:Damir
There's an allen bolt on the AFM body , set that 7 turns out from fully in ie wound it in till the bottom then unwind 7 turns .. that'll be good for idle mixture .

For the actual AFM mixture calibration you'll need some measuring tools either CO2 gas analyzer or wideband or at least narrow band lambda sensor with a gauge .. i prefer wideband for AFM mixture adjustment , can be done very precious with the wideband .

Without any gas/mixture measuring device you'l be pretty much lost in how much is needed on either rich or lean , really can't be done precisely "by feel" .

But roughly , can try to lean it out a bit via AFM spring tension , mark current position of the cog wheel and turn it clockwise say 2 or 3 tooths , lock the cog wheel and try starting if It's any better/less rich .. if not , if you can still smell rich exhaust , turn the cog wheel some more on the clockwise but.not more than 2-3 tooths in one go .

D

Edited by DamirGTI, 30 June 2017 - 08:45 PM.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage
What Damir says is correct but... I would not even consider touching the AFM until you've ruled out absolutely everything else, and even then you're likely to make things much worse unless you know what you're doing.

Believe me, I've had to fix ones that people have messed with trying to solve issues like yours that were inevitably unrelated to the AFM.

Is there no one local to you with a 1.6 GTi who would be willing to test your AFM by plugging it onto their car?

I need to pop up to Redditch soon and have a few 1.6 AFM that you could try to rule it out.

Justin181

Justin181
  • Drivers
  • 39 posts
Ah ye that wud be good anthony!

Justin181

Justin181
  • Drivers
  • 39 posts
Im pulling my hair outwith this.. When the car is warm it revs freely and no pops or bangs

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,760 posts
Just a pointer in forum use. Please keep it all together in one thread rather than starting new ones.
It will help you as it means folk can read all the symptoms etc in one place rather than it being scattered about.

Justin181

Justin181
  • Drivers
  • 39 posts
Sorry tom! Do u have any ideas about this issue?

DamirGTI

DamirGTI
  • Pitcrew
  • 2,742 posts
  • Name:Damir
True , agreed with Anthony .. if the rest of the system electronic/mechanics isn't in good working order adjusting AFM will be pretty much useless if there's something else wrong which will "mask" the rich running state .

I'd do an throughout check on the engine electronic and mechanics , if there's nothing found what would explain rich running engine would then try to play with the AFM .. seen a lot of "boy racer" back in the days which unwind the AFM spring tension chasing for more power !

D

D

Justin181

Justin181
  • Drivers
  • 39 posts
So what else could make it run rich then damir? The plugs were black as the ace pf spades.. When its warmed up it revs much more freely with hardly any stuttering!?