• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rbdemen

<Idiot Pressure Washed Engine Bay. Now No Spark.

rbdemen

I am a huge idiot. Pressure washed my engine last night to get car ready for an inspection today. I never made it to that appointment. Wouldn't start up last night. let it dry overnight. eeeeeventually got it started this morning. decided to take it on a blast on the autobahn to "dry it out". engine cut out after 5 minutes on the highway. had to call a tow back to the garage. been working on it all day and nearly in tears. as far as I can tell, the problem is no spark. starter motor spins. i can smell fuel. air hoses are dry and no leaks. tested for spark and none from HT leads or king lead. getting power to plug at ignition amp. and power to brown plug at coil (but at only 1 pin?).

at this point i'm thinking i need to replace ignition amplifier, ignition coil, and maybe HT leads and plugs even.

at wits end. please help.

any ideas or suggestions welcome.

thanks.

jackherer

There is a small wire on the side of the distributor that sends a signal to the ignition amp that is worth checking.

rbdemen

There is a small wire on the side of the distributor that sends a signal to the ignition amp that is worth checking.

mine doesn't have that small wire. '90 ph2 1.9 XU9JAZ with cat.

jackherer

In that case it must be one of the things you mention, the ECU sends a signal to the ignition amp which in turn grounds the coil. Are you 100% sure fuel is being injected? If it is the crank sensor is definitely working but if you are just smelling fuel the crank sensor may only be working intermittently...

rbdemen

Update... took a while to get the parts but finally replaced the ignition coil and the ignition module (amp). Fired right up.