Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[trackday_prep] 405 Mi16 Track Car

253 replies to this topic

speaksgeek

speaksgeek
  • Passengers
  • 16 posts
  • Name:Angus

Have you got a dial gauge to have a go at measuring the runout of the disc/bell? If not, happy to lend you one.

JeffR

JeffR
  • Drivers+
  • 403 posts

Have you got a dial gauge to have a go at measuring the runout of the disc/bell? If not, happy to lend you one.

Yes, part of my cam timing kit. Thanks for the offer though.

JeffR

JeffR
  • Drivers+
  • 403 posts

I checked for disc runout today and one side has 0.003", the other 0.004". I'm yet to remove them and check for any runout with the hubs.

I had this vibration through the steering wheel (not the pedal) problem with the original Brembo discs so replaced them with the current Valeo ones. Pads are DS3000.

TBH, they probably didn't get the proper bedding in procedure being a track only car.

This makes for an interesting read...

http://www.stoptech....and-other-myths

calvinhorse

calvinhorse
  • Drivers+
  • 1,782 posts
  • Name:Calvin
Great video and result

Could it be a flat spot on a tyre?

JeffR

JeffR
  • Drivers+
  • 403 posts

Could it be a flat spot on a tyre?

If it was tyre related the vibration would be felt at a particular speed/s when driving. This only happens while braking.

JeffR

JeffR
  • Drivers+
  • 403 posts

I missed the last round at Winton and dropped to P2 in the series still chasing the braking vibration.

Last time I had this issue I fitted new Sasic ball joints which solved the problem. They did have some play in them so swapped to German Meyle this time.

Hopefully problem solved.

A bigger issue has developed with one of the Gaz Golds shocks. The 405 uses a clamp arrangement holding the lower leg of the shock to the hub. The crush on the shocker has split the welds where the tube bottom is welded in and now leaks.
Took it to the local Gaz agent for repair but all he could suggest is using an epoxy (like Belzona) over the end. I would have preferred to dismantle the unit and have it re-welded. I'll still have the issue of replacing the lost oil.

It's not practical to send it back to Gaz in the UK for repair before the next round.

Has anyone dismantled a Gold before or have a schematic of one?

No pics thanks to Photobucket.

Edited by JeffR, 31 July 2017 - 04:58 AM.

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,780 posts

Are they a bit poor quality in general or have they worked good apart from this?

I have a set from the group buy for my 405 T16, but don't think I'll be fitting them, mainly due to MOT reasons and that they're not legal to use over here without TüV papers though.

But it seem really poor if they manage to crack in the welding there.

JeffR

JeffR
  • Drivers+
  • 403 posts

Also got mine through a group buy here. Until now, I've never had a problem. I torqued it up to the Haynes specs-41lbs ft (55Nm) where previously just spanner tight.

My concern in using an epoxy is that it might crack under compression when fitted.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,090 posts
  • Name:Mei
any damper service tech should be able to fix it for you, is it an inverted unit with a nut on the bottom though?

if it is then you can strip the insert out yourself.

JeffR

JeffR
  • Drivers+
  • 403 posts

any damper service tech should be able to fix it for you, is it an inverted unit with a nut on the bottom though?

if it is then you can strip the insert out yourself.

No unfortunately, access to the innards through the top of the tube.

I'll take it around to the local Koni agent.

JeffR

JeffR
  • Drivers+
  • 403 posts

A small update on the leaking shocker issue.

Common sense finally prevailed and the local GAZ agent is going to re-weld the base of the tube rather than the epoxy option.
Anticipating I'd need to replenish the lost oil I've been in contact with GAZ UK for info on oil type, grade and quantity as well as the dismantling procedure which they provided promptly.
Since the local agent has to dismantle the unit for welding, I passed on the info on to make sure it's refilled as per the original specs.

Hopefully end of problem.

JeffR

JeffR
  • Drivers+
  • 403 posts

Took the car to Phillip Island last Sat for Rnd 7 of the MSCA SuperSprint series.
I was hoping that the new lca balljoints would have solved my vibration under brakes. Frustratingly no!
For the price of some tie rod ends that'll be the next 'fix'. I can't think of anything in the rack itself that could be the culprit.

Attached Files

Edited by JeffR, 29 September 2017 - 05:05 AM.

petert

petert
  • Pitcrew
  • 5,625 posts
  • Name:Peter Taylor

Looks and sounds great. I've entered a race meeting at Eastern Creek on Sunday. Not part of any series etc., just an opportune test day to try out new ignition parts and a new alternator.

JeffR

JeffR
  • Drivers+
  • 403 posts

This week I had my spare lower control arms fitted with new bushes and new track rod ends. So along with the Meyle balljoints fitted a month ago, all bushes and pivots replaced on the front suspension.

Nothing seemed particularily worn so hopefully (again), my brake shudder is solved but I'll need to wait until the next Sprint round on the 21st to find out.

Reply to this topic