• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest flat-eric

Twin Fans

sleeper205

oh FFS....

can we have a pre-member interview on the forum to police joining?

My new year was supposed to be full of fortune!

RichE
I've never had the second speed of my fan come on ever....

Is that because of a fault? Or because you've never needed it?

If I could give one bit of advice, use a relay!

Anthony
Is that because of a fault? Or because you've never needed it?

If I could give one bit of advice, use a relay!

The high speed on my cooling fan very rarely comes on - normally the slow speed fan is perfectly sufficient to keep the temperature down when stuck in traffic.

Indeed, I'd go as far as to say that on a standard car if you need a 2nd fan or your high speed fan is regularly coming on (especially at this time of year), then you've got a problem with the cooling system on your car and you're merely treating the symptoms rather than curing the fault.

RichE

The high speed on my cooling fan very rarely comes on - normally the slow speed fan is perfectly sufficient to keep the temperature down when stuck in traffic.

Thats nice, however can you define stuck in traffic for me please?

Indeed, I'd go as far as to say that on a standard car if you need a 2nd fan or your high speed fan is regularly coming on (especially at this time of year), then you've got a problem with the cooling system on your car and you're merely treating the symptoms rather than curing the fault.

I never said my fan/fans keep coming on, let alone on high speed or that I "need" a 2nd fan. :wacko:

Anthony

I never said my fan/fans keep coming on, let alone on high speed or that I "need" a 2nd fan. :wacko:

Stuck in traffic being, well, stationary in nose-to-tail traffic for an extended period of time. Minutes or tens of minutes.

And I didn't mean *you* as in the literal "you", but rather the people that say that you need a 2nd fan otherwise your car will instantly explode and the world as we know it will come to an end (yes, I am being sarcastic).

Now, can we not be arguementative please Richard? :lol:

Sam

What a suprise, oracle being arugmentative, watch out anthony, this guy is always right :lol::wacko: hehe

Edited by Rallye

Guest Ed1.9Sorrento

I had twin fans, I painted them with 'aluminium paint', they looked good, and worked great on those hot days stuck in traffic :wacko:

RichE

Stuck in traffic being, well, stationary in nose-to-tail traffic for an extended period of time. Minutes or tens of minutes.

And I didn't mean *you* as in the literal "you", but rather the people that say that you need a 2nd fan otherwise your car will instantly explode and the world as we know it will come to an end (yes, I am being sarcastic).

Now, can we not be arguementative please Richard? B)

I wasnt being argumentitive, you'd know if I was :lol:

I believed you were talking to me as you quoted me.

:lol:

RichE
What a suprise, oracle being arugmentative, watch out anthony, this guy is always right B):wacko: hehe

Hi Rallye. My nickname is now RichE if you havent noticed. Please use that in future.

I dont believe I'm always right, and if you can show me where Ive said I am about everything then please let me know.

Until that point , hush :lol:

By the way, you do realise this is the XU Engine bit? :lol:

Edited by RichE

Sam

RichE: Do you mean it needs moving or i shouldn't be here? :wacko:

RichE
RichE: Do you mean it needs moving or i shouldn't be here? :wacko:

Rallye: Deduct what you will. :lol:

Guest noice

now now boys I have found everyone to be very helpfull here

esp rich e

lets not turn it into the big wheels big mouth big ice *anker's club eh

Guest Dino
oh FFS....

can we have a pre-member interview on the forum to police joining?

My new year was supposed to be full of fortune!

PMSL :wacko:B):D:lol::D:lol::D

jacobs53

hehe! this thread is funny! want twin fans because they look good :wacko: !!! they cool the engine not too look good

should re-name the forum to 205 GTI "MAX POWER R US" DRIVERS

lee :lol:

Guest Theo205

Ive been thinking of installing a 2nd fan too (not for the looks of it though) :wacko: as temp in the summertime can reach 45 degrees here in Cyprus and the fan strugles to keep the engine on normal temp in traffic...

Anyway as I see it, installing a second fan is not as simple as connecting it in parallel with the other fan...As the fan is powered directly from the battery through the temp switch and resistor , connecting a second fan in parallel would mean that the current flowing through the wires,resistor and switch is doubled.

For example: Assuming the resistors power handling is 36Watt (12 volts/3 amps) connecting the second fan would mean that a 72Watt resistor will be required(12 volts/6 amps). plus... The wires driving the motor may not be capable for 6 amps flow.

So for a reliable/safe setup i recommend ripping off the standard circuit and building anotherone....

ofcourse thats just my opinion...

Guest Theo205

Ive been thinking of installing a 2nd fan too (not for the looks of it though) :wacko: as temp in the summertime can reach 45 degrees here in Cyprus and the fan strugles to keep the engine on normal temp in traffic...

Anyway as I see it, installing a second fan is not as simple as connecting it in parallel with the other fan...As the fan is powered directly from the battery through the temp switch and resistor , connecting a second fan in parallel would mean that the current flowing through the wires,resistor and switch is doubled.

For example: Assuming the resistors power handling is 36Watt (12 volts/3 amps) connecting the second fan would mean that a 72Watt resistor will be required(12 volts/6 amps). plus... The wires driving the motor may not be capable for 6 amps flow.

So for a reliable/safe setup i recommend ripping off the standard circuit and building anotherone....

ofcourse thats just my opinion...

Guest richard

i'll add my 2 penneth.........

Being stuck in traffic....well for me it has meant waiting about 6 hours on the M25...in 28-30 degree heat...nice.

Also have been stuck on the north circular for about 3-4 hours too.

If you dont drive in london then you'll never appreciate just how crap it can get sometimes. All it takes is for someone to breakdown and ive seen 3-4 miles of slow moving traffic(under 5mph) on there at 6.30am

Right, to the subject of twin fans.

It does look a bit odd only having one. So 2 would even things out a bit more. However from a technical aspect, if you dont need them on their for actual use then dont hook them into the system. Have them their as a asthetic addition.

If you do add them into your cooling circuit then remember there will be additional load added. In turn this will lower your mpg and will add a small amount of current requirement from your electrical systems.

Now for the people on here that have quoted max power lookalikes.

WHO f***ING CARES. Its his car and thats what matters to him. He can do whetever he likes with it as he's spending his time and money on it. The sooner the bitching stops the better because its getting on my nod.

Oh and for the record i AM always right. :^)

End of rant.

Wurzel

Blimey!

Deja Vu or what. This double fan subject has appeared a couple of times now and still ends in a girly argument.

Any way, I did post a circuit that I nicked from the 205 turbo diesel (which I used on my car). It was pinned up by Rob The Sparky (I think) so should still be around somewhere.

True, the 205 cooling system is very much so up to the job. Like everyone else who found themselves in a traffic jam after a fairly quick run in hot weather, I noticed the temp rising quite high. Not high enough to cause concerns for overheatiing though. I was more concerned with the heat soak and more so of the increased expansion of the now very old water pipes.

These were my own concerns, founded or not I don't care. The fan was there so I fitted it.

Air flow through to the engine remains just as good from what I can see on the temp guage. I haven't nipped out quick whilst driving to check it though I must admit. The fact that the fan will spin due to the air being forced in reduces the blocking effect anyway.

Once again I think people need reminding 'each to their own'. It's your car, do with it what you want. If you really object that much, offer to buy the thing and keep it safe in your own garage.

Lastly, have you noticed that the guy has not posted for a while? He's probably concluded we're all a bunch of bitching twats (at the moment he's right). The only thing that get's on my tits atm is the fact he uses text all the time but I'm sure we can cure that.

:wacko:

Edited by Big Nick

Pugnut
Once again I think people need reminding 'each to their own'. It's your car, do with it what you want. If you really object that much, offer to buy the thing and keep it safe in your own garage.

Lastly, have you noticed that the guy has not posted for a while? He's probably concluded we're all a bunch of bitching twats (at the moment he's right). The only thing that get's on my tits atm is the fact he uses text all the time but I'm sure we can cure that.

:wacko:

my thoughts exactly

chriswhiteuk

I had the second fan wired in parallel with the existing one for over a year with no probs - this setup was concluded after a lot of dicussion and current measuring on the BX forums.

My dad's setup has several relays in the circuit to control full/half speed of both fans with extra speed resistors! Quite cool, but it's fiddly to setup up - this is the best way to go though IMO.

However :wacko: it worked in parallel fine, so there's a lot less wiring to do. The BX has quite heavy gauge wire going to the fans though, what's it like on a 205 ?

Today, my original fan is as it was (on the rad temp switch) but the second one runs off the Emerald and cuts in at 88 degrees at full speed. My engine temp has never reached 90 degrees on the gauge now, even in traffic *see footnote 1

Chris

Note

1. Traffic - when you are completely stuck in a long que of cars 1) because someone is being a twat 2) you got up late 3) god only knows.

hehe, forum discussions are really good! Everyone can share their views and have *constructive* critism. The only problem with computer chat like this, is we don't know what tone people are taking ie. light hearted banter can be interpretted as offensive etc.

lol, listen to me, I've been drinking too much coffee this morning :lol:

Edited by chriswhiteuk

johnnyt

I did this on my old white 1.6.. While I had the fans / shrouding out i colour coded them too. Sprayed the shrouding silver and the fans red. Looked quite nice in my own opinion :wacko:

Pict0025.sized.jpg

Pict0026.sized.jpg

+ isn't this post in the wrong section?? shouldn't it be in misc?

Edited by johnnyt

pug_ham
By the way, you do realise this is the XU Engine bit? :lol:

Not any more it isn't, now in misc/general tech.

Graham.:wacko:

RichE
Not any more it isn't, now in misc/general tech.

Graham.:wacko:

FANTASTIC.

Gary

I love you all :wacko: .

Snowman
i think i'm gona do it. even if it's just for the look. i'm also toying with the idea of twin k&n,"one per wing" custom induction kit. i wana make the car look and sound aggresive but not stray to far from the standard look it's dropped 60mm as it is so look's ace! i wanna make a one off front end and smoothe the boot lid and get rid of that red strip on black trim and smooth it over and respray the lot.

i'm also going for standard rims but in gun metal grey wiv a polished rim.

oh and got rid of the spare so a duplex twin box zorst is on the cards.

any wya thanx for the help boss. happy new year.

I can't be arsed to read this topic so I expect someone has already pointed this out but hey.

Go buy a nova and stop ruining a decent car.

Sign in to follow this